Older Dog Drinking More Than Usual

My older girl is now 10 year old. She appears to be in good health now.... but she did suffer from chronic colitis when she was younger. At that time she was put on Hill ID and everything settled down. After a while I switched her over to Hills Sensitive Stomach and luckily she continued to be OK.

All my other dogs get BARF but I found my old girl couldn't tolerate that well so I kept her on Hills even though I am not a great fan of it, it was better than the colitis.

Now it seems to me as she is getting older she is starting to drink more than she used to so I took her to the vet who did a blood test and said all her levels were within normal range.

Warning bells go off for me when I see a dog start to drink more water especially when they are on a dryfood diet so I was thinking that it may be time for me to look at feeding her a different diet.....maybe even starting to cook something like boiled chicken and veges.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good diet for an older dog which won't stir up her colitis again?

The moment I see drinking more I automaticually think diabetes or cushings. But that's because I had a diabetic dog!! She was drinking more than usual for quite some time before her diagnosis with diabetes. We were testing and testing for some time and everything kept coming back as normal and then eventually her sugar levels were sky high and she was put on insulin. There was probably around 6 months where everything came back normal even though she probably was having the starting effects of diabetes.

So anyway, I'm just mentioning that as a "keep an eye on it".

But I can't help with diet sorry!! All I know is that they do better with a stable diet. But that's not much use for you on the colitis front!

The moment I see drinking more I automaticually think diabetes or cushings. But that's because I had a diabetic dog!! She was drinking more than usual for quite some time before her diagnosis with diabetes. We were testing and testing for some time and everything kept coming back as normal and then eventually her sugar levels were sky high and she was put on insulin. There was probably around 6 months where everything came back normal even though she probably was having the starting effects of diabetes.

So anyway, I'm just mentioning that as a "keep an eye on it".

But I can't help with diet sorry!! All I know is that they do better with a stable diet. But that's not much use for you on the colitis front!

This is pretty well what I thought when my then 6 year old male started drinking more than usual. I took him to the vet and they tested his urine first up and this showed the expected dilution. Blood tests which included testing for cushings revealed nothing.....

I can't help with the reasons why she is drinking more but I can offer one idea on diet. Briefly, I have dog that has suffered chronic colitis and can't tolerate biscuits or a completely raw diet. The best success I've had is the last few months that I have been feeding VAN plus the recommended amount of meat, but cooked not raw. I don't vary the diet much either. I bake 2kg at a time of roo/chicken mince sometimes with a bit of grated sweet potato/ pumpkin/ spinach. I then mix in the suggested amount of soaked VAN to the cooled meat. It lasts a few days. Touch wood its working for us, no runs or colitis for weeks now. If colitis symptoms happen I find mixing a teaspoon of slippery elm into a blob of natural yoghurt on top of the food helps.

Good luck. Forgive me the typos, sent from my phone, fat fingers....

Thanks for that suggestion Trinabean. It makes sense as I was wondering how I would get enough of the vitamins and minerals etc. into the chicken meat. I have my doubts that chicken & vege chunky soup would have enough in it but VAN is a good idean as long as the fibre doesn't upset the gut.

Yes, at first I thought the VAN fibre might upset the gut, but some fibre seems helpful for my dog. I find mashed or cooked grated sweet potato soothes his gut too, more so than pumpkin (which normally people swear by). I use the VAN sensitive skin as it has some extras like protexin in it. I like it as it balances up the diet I am feeding, and it seems to be working for my dog.

Yes, at first I thought the VAN fibre might upset the gut, but some fibre seems helpful for my dog. I find mashed or cooked grated sweet potato soothes his gut too, more so than pumpkin (which normally people swear by). I use the VAN sensitive skin as it has some extras like protexin in it. I like it as it balances up the diet I am feeding, and it seems to be working for my dog.

Trinabean, I will let you know how I go with the diet plan Koda has been prescribed (12 week plan) and if it seems to work it maybe beneficial to pass onto you. Feedback is always good to share I think. I will start Koda on the weekend when her meds finish so the slippery elm won't compromise the meds. :)

Edited by best4koda

Trinabean, I will let you know how I go with the diet plan Koda has been prescribed (12 week plan) and if it seems to work it maybe beneficial to pass onto you. Feedback is always good to share I think. I will start Koda on the weekend when her meds finish so the slippery elm won't compromise the meds. :)

Thanks, feel free to PM me and let me know how it goes. Good luck with Koda. :)

When my little fellow started to drink a lot, tests showed up kidney disease.He drinks much more than he ever , especially in the middle of the night.He wakes me up and asks for me to take him for a drink, as his eye sight is starting to fail and he wants me to guide him.We do leave a light on, but it isnt enough for him.....plus he sleeps on the end of the bed and wont jump down by himself!!!!

He was vomiting but anti nausea meds have fixed that.He is under vet care but there isnt a lot they can do.

Edited by Tootsie Roll