When A Dog Is Cold

GSDowner

My dog is going to be 10 in 2 months.

I sometimes notice that his ears and paws are cold

At night he sleeps on my bed and I cover him with my old nightgown to keep him warm.

During the day he sleeps on his bed (off the floor, hammock type), with a blanket undearneath.

A family member said that german shepherds have double coats and

being from a very cold European climate cannot be cold in Australia.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Edited by GSDowner

I have a house full of shepherds (GSD and WSSD) ranging from 20 months to 12 1/2 years. The youngest spent his first 12 weeks growing up in a Swedish winter. All of them definitely feel the cold despite their double coats.

I would be getting a health check, cold feet can be a sign of poor circulation which might mean heart problems.

Your dog is now old and while I normally wouldn't put a coat on a GSD because they do have a double coat the coat can get thin on an old dog.

So take him to the vet and buy him a coat and then you will have covered all bases.

My 2 tell me if they are cold, diesel will go and get his coat if he is cold and bring it to me to put on, if he cant reach it he will sit and woo woo at the shelf/bench untill someone gets it down for him. For ronnie i just hold it up and if she wants it on she will come over and stand waiting to put it on if not she will just look at me.