Slippery Elm Info Please

I had a dog with IBS, until he stayed off meat completely he kept having bleeding and gastric episodes. It finally got diagnosed by an endoscopy after carefully following months of different diets etc inc chicken and rice of course.

He ended up on the Hills Science Ultra ZD diet and a medication called "Salazapyrin" which worked for him. we tried two other medications before that but they didn't work.

When he was having episodes - usually if he picked up some discarded meat that I didn't spot first (think Maccas etc), he had another medication which I used to crush up and give him with a syringe as he wouldn't eat anything. It was a human medication for ulcers - recommended by the vet. He also had Slippery Elm in some meals as well.

He was Ok to have tuna once a week - not much, I was very nervous of setting him off. He also enjoyed things like sweet potato, yoghurt, cottage cheese, anything to give him a bit of a break from just dried biscuits although you can now get the food in canned form.

Hi Dogmad, Koda is currently on Salazapryrin at the moment in the hope to calm her insides down. It sounds like your dog had a tough time too. We thought we had sorted Koda out with a gluton free diet and no lamb or beef in the diet but we are having recent episodes.