Anti-barking Collar Recommendations

I'm after recommendations of good quality anti-bark collar brands and types. For people that have used them, my questions are -

1. What brand was it?

2. How effective was it? And did it correct the problem in the long-term. My sister probably doesn't want her dog to wear one for the rest of it's life.

3. What type of collar was it, e.g. electric, citronella, etc.

4. Also wondering if there is a type that you can set to a particular level, so that it stops nuisance barking, but the dog will still through it for stranger alert?

I'm asking for my sister. She owns a Jack Russel x Shit tzu, and she is quite tiny, so she'll need a brand suitable for small dogs, not a big clunky thing that hangs off her neck.

Thanks in advance :)

Guest lavendergirl

That website is interesting particularly the page on establishing the reasons for barking and his views on debarking and citronella collars. Establishing the reason the dog is barking is an important first step - does your sister know why?

I'm after recommendations of good quality anti-bark collar brands and types. For people that have used them, my questions are -

1. What brand was it?

Dogtra YS300

2. How effective was it? And did it correct the problem in the long-term. My sister probably doesn't want her dog to wear one for the rest of it's life.

Very. Stopped the nuisance barking within a week.

Vibration/electric stim

4. Also wondering if there is a type that you can set to a particular level, so that it stops nuisance barking, but the dog will still through it for stranger alert?

My Mali still alert barks through the lowest stim setting, if she has reason to bark she doesn't even notice it. The collar gives a vibration warning then if the dog barks again it will give a stim. The collar will only give one stim per 15 seconds regardless of how much the dog barks. However if it's on the right setting the first one should be enough to interrupt any nuisance barking.

I'm asking for my sister. She owns a Jack Russel x Shit tzu, and she is quite tiny, so she'll need a brand suitable for small dogs, not a big clunky thing that hangs off her neck.

The one I have is quite small, plenty of length in the strap but lots of room to adjust for a smaller dog. I think it would be fine for a smaller dog.

Hope that helps.

1. What brand was it?

Dogtra YS300

Very. Stopped the nuisance barking within a week.

Vibration/electric stim

My Mali still alert barks through the lowest stim setting, if she has reason to bark she doesn't even notice it. The collar gives a vibration warning then if the dog barks again it will give a stim. The collar will only give one stim per 15 seconds regardless of how much the dog barks. However if it's on the right setting the first one should be enough to interrupt any nuisance barking.

The one I have is quite small, plenty of length in the strap but lots of room to adjust for a smaller dog. I think it would be fine for a smaller dog.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, some useful info, I think k9pro had those ones on their website. :)

That website is interesting particularly the page on establishing the reasons for barking and his views on debarking and citronella collars. Establishing the reason the dog is barking is an important first step - does your sister know why?

I had a read through the page on why dogs bark, and with my sister's dog I think there are a variety of reasons. Most of her barking is at things that don't exist, she's a very talkative girl and seems to enjoy woo-woo-ing, especially at breakfast time. And she barks at night time, as soon as it gets dark, when the other dog doesn't bark.

He only barks when there is something to bark at. I've seen Holly (the barker) sun baking before, and she'll sniff the wind and then howl at that.

Her barks are very loud, and very annoying - probably more annoying to the neighbours than us.

My sister is still not sure on the barking collar, she's going to try some other things, then use the collar if she has to.

:)

Guest lavendergirl

I had a read through the page on why dogs bark, and with my sister's dog I think there are a variety of reasons. Most of her barking is at things that don't exist, she's a very talkative girl and seems to enjoy woo-woo-ing, especially at breakfast time. And she barks at night time, as soon as it gets dark, when the other dog doesn't bark.

He only barks when there is something to bark at. I've seen Holly (the barker) sun baking before, and she'll sniff the wind and then howl at that.

Her barks are very loud, and very annoying - probably more annoying to the neighbours than us.

My sister is still not sure on the barking collar, she's going to try some other things, then use the collar if she has to.

:)

Yep - sometimes that is the only option. I am always interested in what works for people as I also have a little dog who is a barker - mostly when I am out though :)

SK why have you got a bark collar on your Mali already?

We had some issues with her barking back at the neighbours dog (that runs and barks all friggin day at our fence line). Nasty neighbour on the other side was screeching over the fence at my dog. Crap situation all round but the other neighbour is a bitch and I don't want my dog baited.

Problem solved within a couple of weeks and she no longer needs it.

Not my first preference but it was something I had to get on top of very quickly before the situation escalated.