Conformation Photos Needed- Any Breed

Cosmolo

I am after some conformation photos- of a variety of breeds though it would be beneficial to have the same breeds showing any of the following as well as correct conformation for comparison. Cross breed photos would be fine too.

Cow hocked

Bow legged

Paws turned in

Paws turned out

Uneven muscle tone

Roach back

I am wanting to use these photos in a lecture which includes a short section on conformation problems in dogs and am happy to credit the photo source.

This is possibly everything that is wrong, all packed into one dog....I owned this bitch at one point...and the breeder went ten shades of crazy when I said she was being spayed and placed as she was not good for breeding...the breeder called and DEMANDED she be put on a plane and returned UN desexed...yeah...right.

post-2225-0-00752600-1339101389_thumb.jpg

Depends what breed you're talking about. I hard a story of a quite knowledgable dog person (albeit in a different group to hounds) commenting with absolute horror about how the BOB borzoi she saw had a "roached back"...

They should have a curved topline, highest point over the lastrib etc. And they have a less angled shoulder assemnly than many other breeds, a 'racing front' as some call it. Seen in many sighthound breeds and not a fault.

So some faults may be universal yes. But many are breed specific.

I can take a photo of my tibbies front for the 'bow legged' but they are meant to have it, so it may be a bit confusing, trying to demonstrate an incorrect bow, with a breed that it is correct for, if you know what I mean.

Let me know though.

Thanks everyone- i did try google but it just brought up lots of images of beautiful dogs winning conformation shows!

I don't want to use images to show something that is correct for the breed/ breed standard.

Kavik- if you could that would be fantastic.

Depends what breed you're talking about. I hard a story of a quite knowledgable dog person (albeit in a different group to hounds) commenting with absolute horror about how the BOB borzoi she saw had a "roached back"...

They should have a curved topline, highest point over the lastrib etc. And they have a less angled shoulder assemnly than many other breeds, a 'racing front' as some call it. Seen in many sighthound breeds and not a fault.

So some faults may be universal yes. But many are breed specific.

Agree with Alyosha, it needs to be breed savvy. A dog that is seriously east west is a fault in any breed, but in my breed the feet turning out slightly in the front is not a fault.

Often it's a matter of degree. To pick up Alyosha's point about racing fronts, I saw someone put up a picture of a Saluki with a Setter front on FB recently, and people commented on nice it was. It would have been nice if it were a Setter, but on a Saluki it's incorrect.

Pat Hastings nailed most of this stuff in her book "Structure in Action: The Makings of a Durable Dog".

Yep i understand every breed's conformation is different and this is highlighted in the presentation. But i also need to give people an idea of what serious bow legs, cow hocks etc look like so i am looking for extreme, no debate kind of bad conformation.

Thanks everyone- i did try google but it just brought up lots of images of beautiful dogs winning conformation shows!

I don't want to use images to show something that is correct for the breed/ breed standard.

Kavik- if you could that would be fantastic.

hey :) I did find some images using google.

roach back:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/bulletins.read?mnr=271081&pagen=1

cow hocks (you have to scroll down):

http://www.jindos.com/jindo/appearance/body.html

flat feet (again scroll down):

http://community.dog.com/forums/t/7417.aspx

flat pasterns:

http://judgesl.com/Borzoi/rungear.html

img_1499_med.jpeg

This is my mongrel Toby, he has really un even muscle tone and is standing with one front foot turned out and one turned in, this is a common was he stands due to a broken leg.

he had as a pup.

Also a great example of flat feet, awful shoulders and a dog that is 'elbows out'. :thumbsup:

Edited by RallyValley

Agreed on the topline.

In regards to specific standards...many will call for a roach and then describe where and what exactly that entails...the difference between a rise and a roach is location....in my breed (and in Manchesters before) we had a rise in the loin...that explains that the higher point is on the loin, not over the mid range back, where some of the sight hounds are.

Agreed on the comments about east/west feet, however because most standards are up to interpretation, slightly turned out, to one person, may be east/west to another.....it's important to read the standard for the breed and base the photo on that standard and not slap one rule over all of them. Bassett for example are to be slightly turned out and I know many out there that will continue to call them east/west when in fact, they aren't.

The same with elbow space...being 'out at the elbow' can be bad, but in some breeds with smoother ribs (not curved as much) the spacing is more and will give to those that don't know the finer points, the impression that they are 'out'.

Neo's for example are to have large round flat feet....but a bullmastiff, another giant heavy breed, doesn't call for this. So seeing round flat feet on a bullmastiff would be very wrong, but not incorrect on a neo. Cresteds should have the two middle toes noticably longer than the others and yet if I was to have that in my GP's it would be 'pet quality' :)

To reiterate...it's important to remember that some structures are not faults in some breeds and to be able to educate those wanting to learn, that this is the case.