A Proposal To Council Re Dog Management

Boronia

After the Qld Local Government elections means we have a (nearly) new council here. They will be discussing a new Animal Management plan and I would like to put forward some proposals on a fair plan for owners and Council (as they need to cover their costs) for the dog ownership part of the plan

Some input would be great, I was thinking along the lines of:

Free registration for desexed/microchipped dogs (Gympie has this)

A fair cost for a third dog...perhaps a home check re size of dog(s)to area

Provisions for fostering (I have no idea what would be involved...need ideas)

Fair costs for breeders of registered pedigree dogs...this could be the numbers of dogs kept.

Reduced registration for different levels of obedience/agility or similar

As you see from the above I have very little idea, but as the previous Council appeared to be anti-dog (especially for registered breeders of pedigree dogs) I feel that a letter to the Mayor, CEO and councillors can only do some good in addressing the previous councils omissions.

So if anyone has some good ideas on what you would like for a council to implement can you post them please...especially breeders and foster carers.

Edited by Boronia

Provisions for fostering (I have no idea what would be involved...need ideas)

A good model exists with Ipswich council. Free, annual "special permits" are granted to foster carers on application by the organisation they foster for. When I ran GAP and we applied on behalf of our carers, we were able to explain that if any of our foster dogs caused a problem within the community we could immediately remove the dog and place it somewhere more appropriate. Thus the council is able to support responsible rehoming/rescue, while maintaining community standards.

You cannot expect free registration or permits, as there are costs involved in keeping a system running to pick up loose dogs before they cause damage in koala habitat, and inspect properties to determine whether they should get a permit. The community should not have to totally subsidise a service to dog owners. I would be happy to pay more if the facilities and service were better.

Last year the Moreton shire council reworked their whole system with regards dog (and other animal) ownership and registration etc, with strict number control being invoked. I seriously doubt the new council will change any of these new rules - http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/living.aspx?id=13573 within this link are various topics and also a sub link to the application of fees to "foster" animals as it currently stands, providing these animals are registered in the name of the foster organisation there is no fee charged.

In the Brisbane city council area all of the "dog pounds" have been contracted out to the victorian based 'Lost dogs home'business and pounds as such no longer exist while these contractors privately manage the service a no kill inititive has been brought in etc. Their are positives and negatives with this new system.

With the registration fee structure I feel if a dog is desexed, microchipped (now compulsory) has completed a level 3 obedience certificate then the owner should have reduced fee and a 2 yr 'licence' be awarded. for breeders and multi show dog homes there should be a corporate type fee, and this should be dependent on number of bitches and dogs etc similar to the Logan area implementation. Currently Brisbane City council offers fairly cheap registration for the following reasons ->if you belong to a dog club and have proof of membership, own a pedigree dog, your dog is desexed, you are on a pension, or the dog is a service dog with verified certification (FREE)

Last year there was a gathering of the various councils on a workshop in I think Townsville. There were guest speakers from industry and other conuncils on their existing laws and proposed changes etc to meet future planning requirements.

At the time I worked for Ipswich Council. I now work for another council.

My best suggestion is to look through all the council's local laws and permit requiremnts. There are some good and bad in each council. In a way, most councils are almost against multiple dog ownership whether it be breeder or owner. Some councils are worse than others. With the new property developments in many councils where block sizes and certainly the back yard component is getting smaller and smaller and neighbours are getting less tolerant of their other neighbours and of course some owners will always be not as responsible as others - councils need to get "tougher" on what the consituents are after.

With outside pressure groups wanting to limit breeding it will be making it harder for breeders in the future. The pressure is not just at local council but at a state government level.

As for pounds and a no kill policy. There are just as many dogs being euthanised.