Diy Dog Baths

tlc

Hi Guys, I was hoping someone would have some ideas for me as I have looked around the net and not been able to find much. I want to buy a dog bath, not necessarily a hydro bath but a big bath. There is one at a pet shop in Melton which I think looks excellent and it is $1999, it is HERE

Has anyone had/got/used one like this, or anyone got any other links to dog baths similar? We also have to consider where to put something like this once we get it and get a plumber to modify some taps and get a hot water tap put outside as well.

if anyone has any experiences they want to share or other places to buy something similar to the one in the link, I'd love to hear about it. I am in Western Vic so anywhere within a 3 hour radius would be great, We could travel to Melbourne to pick up.

Guest Arcane

one of the advertisers here Oz Grooming World has a similar bath for $1550, but they're in NSW so you'd have to see what freight would be.

Guest Arcane

One other thing...if you like the SS baths but you can't find one with the exact specs you're after, search out a local stainless steel fabricator & they will very likely be able to build to your exact specs for the same money or better.

Edited by Arcane

Good idea, I had a look at the Oz grooming world ones and they don't have any of the hoses attachments etc so that would all be an extra cost. Also the electric height one I don't think would be any good outside. My Oh is talking about making a shelter for it to be in but it would still be open at the front so many get some weather.

Am I right in thinking with hydrobaths you only need a cold tap? and they need to be plugged into power as well? I should like a numpty but I have only ever used them to bath the dogs and never thought about particulars until now I am in a position to buy one.

Id love a try blu one and they are actually made in the town where I live but Id need a cool $18,000 for one of them! :laugh:

Edited by tlc

Guest Arcane

It depends with a hydro. If you don't have the hot water available, you can buy a Hydro with a heater element instead. I have a commercial use hydrobath unheated because it sits under a hot water outlet.

If you only want it for your personal home use, I bought one of the Booster Baths for when I do my fortnightly bath days up where I used to live. I wash everything from Malamutes to Pomeranians in it and it holds up really well. I actually love it because I can move around the dog instead of having to turn the dog. You do need to have hot/cold plumbing available for the Booster Bath though.

Guest Arcane

just google Booster Bath. I have a large one. Ebay has good deals :) not sure if I can link here.

A booster might be a cheaper option, they look great, I would still have to get hot water hooked up outside which I needed to do anyway. Anyone else used a booster? Stories, the good the bad and the ugly!

Guest Arcane

yep thats it. I have the exact one in the picture. I was very skeptical about them to start with, but the more I looked around the more I started to think it was exactly what I needed so I took a deep breath and ordered one. Turned out ok! It's very steady even with a huge dog in it, and as I much prefer hand washing to the hydrobath anyday it suits me well.

We did discard the drainage hose that came with it in favour of a thicker one we bought for a few dollars and I just use a regular groomers tether attached to just one of the eye hooks in the bath instead of using the tether that came with it.

Guest Arcane

It sits near a set of hot & cold water taps and instead of water coming out of each tap, we plumbed it like a mixer tap so we just have a hose attached to the mixer in the middle. I turn the taps on until I have the right temp water and off we go. I hand wash using pre mixed shampoo in a 1 litre squeeze bottle (shampoo mixed with warm water at recommended ratio or more if the beastie is filthy!) and i just squeeze that onto the dry dog and lather as I go, then rinse off with warm fresh running water that drains straight out of the bath through the drain hose.

Guest Arcane

I didn't go with the groomers one, just the large one pictured in your first link. It's all I need and iv'e groomed for many years! I might go with something sturdier if it was for a commercial application, but for home grooming its plenty good enough IMHO!

ETA .....It's my fortnightly grooming day up home this Sunday so if you like I can take a few pics of how I have it set up so you can sort of see it in real life, so to speak!

Edited by Arcane

I have a Booster Bath & use it daily for my 2 Borders. I have it outside & my OH is a plumber so we have hot water outside anyway. He also made me a ramp for it so the dogs more or less just put themselves up & into it & a filter type container so I can put my shampoo or conditioner in it & it mixers with the water & comes out diluted through the hose head if that makes any sense. I love my B. Bath & would highly recommend them :)