Bleeding Tail

my mates dog used to have the same thing its scary when any of your animals start bleeding but sometimes you just have to relax :)

what I cant stand is fly bites... the bites look so painful.. I have seen some dogs with dripping ears :(

My dog is a never ending battle with EVERYTHING he is still a pup and he just hurts himself all the time!!, down stairs he nearly breaks legs, in any kind of space that isnt a football field his tail punishes everything in its path, just had an issue with marsh flies in the summer, he had some weird un known skin condition that only that tea fixed up, he has had bloody urine that after $500 was fixed on its own lmao, and every time i come home there is a cut, or scratch from something.... so many things!! lol i'd love to wrap him up in bubble wrap i really would.. it honestly does not seem to phase him AT ALL!! so i probably stress and worry for no reason but my dog is like my baby!! i over react haha.

Another way it to tie his tail to his collar so it can't be wagged very much at all.

but this could not be done without learning the right way (is there a right way?) long term,or on a dog left alone - could it? the mind boggles :(

that is why I had previously suggested Googling happy tail. From memory you have something soft( fleece material ) attach it half way up the dogs tail, run it between the hind legs to the collar. I wouldn't use it on a dog left alone.

so i probably stress and worry for no reason but my dog is like my baby!! i over react haha.

with happy tail, if you don't get it under control it often ends up with part of the tail being amputated.

so i probably stress and worry for no reason but my dog is like my baby!! i over react haha.

with happy tail, if you don't get it under control it often ends up with part of the tail being amputated.

Ow god!, ok well crating him inside is not really an option... ill google happy tail and see what i can do.

Tried this this morning.... it came off within a few minutes.. not sure if im taping it tight enough or i need a better quality tape....

It shouldn't be about "tight enough" - I'd suggest a better quality tape is required. I find the elastoplast tape very sticky and successful in holding on. I had one on Mandela's ear tip and it stays on for a good couple of weeks (this without it getting wet).

I'm having absolutely no luck with this tail!, it wasn’t bleeding for a few days then Sunday night.... started up again, I have been taping it with super strength physio tape stuff, and this awesome gel cushioning thing that you use for a bung finger or toe, and I put lavender oil over it.... the silly dog still bit it all off and left some bald patches in his tail trying to get the tape off

:( .... what am I to do!....

I'm having absolutely no luck with this tail!, it wasn’t bleeding for a few days then Sunday night.... started up again, I have been taping it with super strength physio tape stuff, and this awesome gel cushioning thing that you use for a bung finger or toe, and I put lavender oil over it.... the silly dog still bit it all off and left some bald patches in his tail trying to get the tape off

Tape his mouth shut!

(that was a joke)

Have you tripe the bitter wound spray you can get, to see if that helps him leave it?

Tape his mouth shut!

(that was a joke)

Have you tripe the bitter wound spray you can get, to see if that helps him leave it?

I have not tried that yet, ill try look for some, all the vets around me are an absolute rip off, found some!!!! for a fraction of the price the vets sell them for :).

Putting through order today.... but knowing Gus he might like it!! how bad is chilli for dogs?

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

I have not tried that yet, ill try look for some, all the vets around me are an absolute rip off, found some!!!! for a fraction of the price the vets sell them for :).

Putting through order today.... but knowing Gus he might like it!! how bad is chilli for dogs?

Well, he'd probably only try the chilli once!

Abby loooooooove chilli- she ended up with diarrhoea when we spread it all over some pots she was chewing!! I haven't had anyone like the bitter spray though.

Abby loooooooove chilli- she ended up with diarrhoea when we spread it all over some pots she was chewing!! I haven't had anyone like the bitter spray though.

:rofl: ok hopefully i may have some luck with the spray then...... but as i have stated somewhere else before.. Gus eats fire starters without a second reaction....(thats probably not to good for him, but he got to a packet once when we were out and buried them we assume because even though we have gotten rid of all fire starters from his grubby little reach we will manage to find them laying around covered in dirt!. ) :o ow what am i to do with this boy!, such a disobedient trouble maker of a puppy!!

Another thing that you could put on the bandage, is vicks vapour rub.

My two loved all the bitter sprays as pups, but won't go near vicks :thumbsup:

Just be careful not to over do it as his sense of smell is much better than ours, I use just a tiny amount, about the size of a match head, and apply about every 6 hours.

Edited by raffikki

Another thing that you could put on the bandage, is vicks vapour rub.

My two loved all the bitter sprays as pups, but won't go near vicks :thumbsup:

Just be careful not to over do it as his sense of smell is much better than ours, I use just a tiny amount, about the size of a match head, and apply about every 6 hours.

awesome, thanks for that, I tried the Lavender again last night, just put a little more.. Gus did not like that at all, woke up this morning tail entact.. :) haha... i will keep the vicks in mind because he is sure to work up courage and try to eat the lavender.

if the tail keeps bleeding you will need to take Gus to the vet for a check up to make sure it is still clean and not becoming infected. You can check for yourself if you can keep his tail still enough for long enough to get a good look yourself. :D

Gus went to the vet on Friday night because his tail started up again and the tip was starting to swell, I was given 3 options.

1. Take it back to the healthiest vertibrea

2. Stretch the skin over the v that has been taken out of the tip

3. Wrap it for 3 weeks with anti-biotics and see how it heals.

I chose to do options 3 first with the possibility of this doesnt work we will have to snip his tail a little, if that happens might as well chop his man bits as well, i dont think you can show a dog with a bung tail lol.

Poor Gus :(

:crossfingers: the 3 weeks of ABs and wrapping do the trick.

I really hope so, his so silly though, his tail would clearly hurt yet he has not a care in the world, its like the kid has no pain thresh hold, i have had to get rid of the crate and make sure his not in any confined area so that the chance of him banging his tail is slim