Oops, I Think I Just Fed My Dog An Off Bone

Inka3095

I have a cold, with a blocked nose. I bought my foster dog a pre-packaged 2x 'fresh' lamb bones from the dodgy pet supermarket down the end of my street this morning because my butcher was closed. There was no used-by date on the package (odd, no?) so I cut it open and gave her one.

Came back inside and even my nose could pick up the stench now permeating through my house. Those bones were not good. I almost threw up cleaning up the second one taking it out to the garbage bin.

I went back to get the bone from her and tempt her with another treat in exchange but she had already eaten most of the feral meat off the sides of the bone and was just chewing on the rest.

I know she's a dog and all, and I know they dig up bones and eat them later, but this bone REALLY smelt bad.... Would you guys be worried? I'll watch her closely but is there anything I should do in the meantime?

Also, would you be calling the store and complaining or just chalk it up to experience and just not return?

Many dogs will bury a fresh bone only to dig it up a few days later for dessert...I had a notorious food stasher. Im sure it was not peachy fresh on digging up either. Not ideal, but I think we are more prone to get sick if we rather than the dog consume it. As an owner of a dog once that used to get gastro from such hidden treasures, I guess while its not ideal to feed a slightly unfresh bone, these things happen, so id be looking for signs of upset causing unwellness just in case. My thinking is it will be fine.

I believe dogs shed salmonella in their droppings if consumed, so dispose of droppings more regularly for the next week of course using hygenic methods.

I'll watch her closely but is there anything I should do in the meantime?

Also, would you be calling the store and complaining or just chalk it up to experience and just not return?

Yeah, put a peg on your nose for the next 24 hours. Those farts are going to STINK... rofl1.gif

I'd probably make a point of mentioning it to the shop though. When you buy 'fresh' you should expect to get what you pay for.

Thanks everyone :)

She still smells pretty average despite the baby wipes I've been using on her - think she rolled in it or something ewwwww! She doesn't appear sick or anything, so I'm so relieved.

Bath tomorrow!

If I give my dog a lovely fresh bone she will chomp on it for a while then will go bury it. About a week later there will be this disgusting smell outside and yep you guessed it she will be quite happily nawing on her disgusting bone.

Perry buries all her bones until they are sufficiently well matured for her palate. She has never had any problems from eating them when they are in a disgusting state and is quite offended I won't let her bring them in for a midnight snack.

I've never had a dog who buries bones. Poochie used to just chomp away til she was done; she was an only dog though. When Zeus was introduced, about 10 months before I lost her, she still never buried her bones.

Neither Zeus nor Kirah bury their bones either. My dogs must be weird!!

Random thought of the day: the longer I stare at the words bury, buried and buries, the more bloody weird and spelled wrong they look!! :eek: