Homeless People In The City With Dogs

samoyedman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see any homeless people with dogs in the CBD but I see homeless people sleeping on cold concrete without a blanket, pillow or anything :(

Before I go to work next I,ll chuck a couple of pillows and a blanket in my car... What I have observed too is most of the homeless people I see are men! So does that mean women are provided with shelter and men aren't? It's a real shame if that's the case :(

Edited by kiwibum

I think the bond that homeless people and their dogs share is wonderful, I mean, they are each others world after all. They spend every hour of every day together, and they look after each other. If I was a homeless person, my world would just be destroyed if my dogs got taken off me.

I think the bond that homeless people and their dogs share is wonderful, I mean, they are each others world after all. They spend every hour of every day together, and they look after each other. If I was a homeless person, my world would just be destroyed if my dogs got taken off me.

Exactly, you are spot on. :thumbsup:

I have deliberately avoided replying to this thread until now, because I was so angry & upset with the OP, I didn't trust myself to answer without flaming. These dogs are so loved by their owners & vice versa, anyone who could even think about taking the dogs off them, is just heartless. :cry:

I agree that anyone who comes across people in this situation, should give either some food, grooming tools, worm & flea treatments, whatever they can spare & a few kind words to both human & dog.

I don't see any homeless people with dogs in the CBD but I see homeless people sleeping on cold concrete with a blanket, pillow or anything :(

Before I go to work next I,ll chuck a couple of pillows and a blanket in my car... What I have observed too is most of the homeless people I see are men! So does that mean women are provided with shelter and men aren't? It's a real shame if that's the case :(

You are such a caring person Miss KB :hug:

I don't think it's our position to judge weather or not these people are capable to care for their dogs or not but instead to provide them with the help and resources so they ARE ABLE to care for them.

Guest lavendergirl

I think it is great if homeless people have the companionship of a dog but the dog's welfare is important also and in this case the OP was concerned that the dogs were neglected. I think it is appropriate to express concern to the appropriate authorities if the dogs appear to be suffering in any way. I don't know how these people manage to care for a dog - let alone two - when they can hardly care for themselves. Like anything consideration must be given to each individual case and as outlined by others some homeless people can and do care adequately for their dogs.

Why approach the authorities though? They have done nothing to help these people thus far! Why not offer to buy food or grooming products instead?

ETA: just because WE have an idea on how dogs shouldbe treated, doesn't mean its right or even best for the dog. Travel around the world - or even just Australia - and you will see many ways that dogs are cared for. Eg working dogs on farms that are chained for large periods of time. The dogs dont seem to mind and they live for the times they are working. Most suburban pet owners cringe at the thought of chaining a dog, but horses for courses.

Edited by taketwo

Guest donatella

I don't see any homeless people with dogs in the CBD but I see homeless people sleeping on cold concrete without a blanket, pillow or anything :(

There are definitely shelters for men but they seem to be more proud to accept help.

Guest lavendergirl

Why approach the authorities though? They have done nothing to help these people thus far! Why not offer to buy food or grooming products instead?

ETA: just because WE have an idea on how dogs shouldbe treated, doesn't mean its right or even best for the dog. Travel around the world - or even just Australia - and you will see many ways that dogs are cared for. Eg working dogs on farms that are chained for large periods of time. The dogs dont seem to mind and they live for the times they are working. Most suburban pet owners cringe at the thought of chaining a dog, but horses for courses.

Well of course people can do that but at best it may be a band aid solution to a continual problem. If we were talking about the OP observing possible neglect of dogs in a suburban back yard I suspect we would be recommending he contact the RSPCA. The minimum requirements of food, water and shelter are likely not being provided in this instance and though we have sympathy for people in a homeless situation we still have to consider the welfare of the dogs. I think the initiatives such as Mita described are great.

Samman if you see him again maybe strike up a conversation and arrange for him to be near your work at a specific time and place and you could give him some food, flea and worm treatments and maybe a voucher for a hydrobath for the dogs.

Well of course people can do that but at best it may be a band aid solution to a continual problem. If we were talking about the OP observing possible neglect of dogs in a suburban back yard I suspect we would be recommending he contact the RSPCA. The minimum requirements of food, water and shelter are likely not being provided in this instance and though we have sympathy for people in a homeless situation we still have to consider the welfare of the dogs. I think the initiatives such as Mita described are great.

The problem is that if the RSPCA take the dogs they will probably just be PTS when as far as we know they were more than happy where they were. There's plenty of water and shelter on the streets and most homeless people I see with dogs always have some kind of food for the dogs.

Just because the dog doesn't live in a house doesn't mean its neglected, that's a strong word and I suspect most dogs that spend every minute with their owner feel anything but neglected.

Edited by Aussie3

Guest lavendergirl

The problem is that if the RSPCA take the dogs they will probably just be PTS when as far as we know they were more than happy where they were. There's plenty of water and shelter on the streets and most homeless people I see with dogs always have some kind of food for the dogs.

Just because the dog doesn't live in a house doesn't mean its neglected, that's a strong word and I suspect most dogs that spend every minute with their owner feel anything but neglected.

Again, I am not saying all dogs on the streets are neglected or all dogs should live in houses - though I think they should have shelter. I am talking about this particular case as presented by the OP - that the dogs were thin and had skin problems. How do you know the dogs were "more than happy" - the OP did not seem to think so? They may be miserable and sick. I said possible[/b neglect of the dogs - as observed by the OP. My point was would we apply the same logic if the dogs were observed in a suburban back yard - i.e. oh well they are probably happy don't report it because the owners are disadvantaged? If you see a well cared for dog living on the streets with its owner you would likely not want to do anything. If you saw a dog - or two - who were obviously sick and malnourished that is a different thing altogether IMO - not saying this is definitely the case here as we are relying on the OP's observation which may be correct or not. Either way my point is the dog's welfare matters as well as that of the homeless person.

I think its lovely that the homeless can find it in their hearts to look after an animal,and maybe the pet owners could be given brushes, along with pet food for their dogs.

I hear a lot of dogs in suburban back yards barking and crying of the cold at night that are most likely not looked after as well as a homeless persons pet.

Just a couple thoughts on the topic.

There has been a study done which shows that animals do provide an enormous comfort to those with mental health issues and related problems - relationship breakdown, homelessness, inability to sustain employment etc, often animals are the one constant in these people's lives and support them emotionally without the pressures that humans in society often exert. Statistics show that there is a higher incidence of homelessness in those suffering mental health issues.

Our local shopping centre has a huge metal bin with a sign requesting donations of linen, toiletry items, dog and cat food and long life food etc. This bin is regularly emptied and contents given to a salvation army officer who does evening and morning food van runs and knows many of the street dwellers, he distributes the items and often organises dog wash days at the local service station that has a self serve dog wash depot, this is manned by scouts and guides doing community service to earn credit towards their goals, none of these people involved are ever recognised for their sacrifices and yet put themselves out there willingly.

So if anyone wants to help support this cause, get your local scouts and guides on board, get shops (or even banks as a depot) involved with donation bins, contact the Salvo's and get the ball rolling, this way many hands make light work, and every single item donated be it for the human or the animal will be thankfully received. Many of us have extra food/water bowls, brushes no longer needed, dog coats, collars leads etc. Just donate them to a very deserving cause.

Often the people I come in contact with won't go into shelters because these places won't accept their pets, one man recently would only go into hospital for surgery when we offered to care for his beloved cat until he returned, many put their animals before themselves buying or scavenging food for the pet.

I am in China now and this probably comes as no great shock to anyone, but from what I have seen here it makes what I saw in the Sydney CBD look like a case of pampering.

I was in a town 2 hours outside of Shenzen, 30,000 people, and locals tell me dog is on the menu in every restaurant there. It's terrible to see the condition of the dogs in the streets. A factory I visited has had 2 of its guard dogs stolen for food in the last 6 months. :o

Can't wait to get home and see my samoyed.

These dogs that the homeless folk have were probably dumped by the 'caring' people in the first place. Please don't involve Council, RSPCA etc in this. We all know they can get carried away and would most likely do a 'clearance' just to show they are doing something.

It appears there are quite a lot of people, organisations, etc helping them so perhaps track one of these down and give a hand.

I am in China now and this probably comes as no great shock to anyone, but from what I have seen here it makes what I saw in the Sydney CBD look like a case of pampering.

I was in a town 2 hours outside of Shenzen, 30,000 people, and locals tell me dog is on the menu in every restaurant there. It's terrible to see the condition of the dogs in the streets. A factory I visited has had 2 of its guard dogs stolen for food in the last 6 months. :o

It's an eye opener.... I bet you do miss you white fluff right about now....

I'm confused now. Three days ago you start this thread about homeless peoples dogs in Sydney, now you are in China, something smells fishy to me. :shrug:

I'm confused now. Three days ago you start this thread about homeless peoples dogs in Sydney, now you are in China, something smells fishy to me. :shrug:

Whats so fishy? :confused:

Sam man is a good guy, known by many of us.

I presume he has just gone to China in the last couple of days for a visit. His Samoyed is in Sydney.