Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

Schatzi's Mum, next year's Grafton trial, for sure!

Two days on and she is still smiling like an idiot.

:thumbsup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cool :D I'm thinking of heading up that way for the two-dayer in November as well, if you guys are going to that.

Yep, will definitely be at Dayboro, we take our caravan up & camp for the weekend :thumbsup: .

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting but I have already noticed that DWD is screwing with his obedience - so think this might be a one off fling

I noticed this when I was a steward in the CD ring. A very experienced obedience/DWD competitors dog chucked in a few tricks in the heel pattern. It was the happiest dog in the ring though.

• 2 weeks later...

Er ... uhmmmm ... MrsD .. Anything to add???? from Queensland ... ? ;-)

:provoke: :provoke: don't you read the posts on the DWD yahoo email list Tassie? :p :rasberry: :laugh:

Didn't have to...had a secret source rofl....but you need to brag here for those that don't have "the knowledge " ;-)

A secret source :laugh: .

OK, for those that don't know, Jarrah & I got our first leg & second place in Advanced Freestyle yesterday at the Brisbane Royal :dancingelephant: ( <-----me doing the happy dance :laugh: ). Thanks to BC4ME for :provoke: me to do it, it was my first trial in 10 months & our first trial in the advanced class & I nearly pulled out altogether because I didn't have my new advanced routine ready, but in the end I did my intermediate routine (with much ad libing because I forgot most of it :laugh: ) instead.

If I missed out before mrsd I will say it again congrats to you:). (im in Hervey bay atm) . Am catching up a little bit on what has been happening here when I go to internet cafe. Can't believe that my hols are nearly over and I get to see my kids soon

Interesting but I have already noticed that DWD is screwing with his obedience - so think this might be a one off fling

I noticed this when I was a steward in the CD ring. A very experienced obedience/DWD competitors dog chucked in a few tricks in the heel pattern. It was the happiest dog in the ring though.

Yep.....my girl does this & that was the end of any more obedience competitions for her :laugh: Mind you, her dancing is also coming undone, because she keeps pre-empting what I am going to want her to do & makes up her own routine. :D It is very hard to keep a straight face.

That's an interesting observation Ptolomy .. Be interesting to hear more.

biggrin.gif

I've been an on-off lurker and this comment has me intrigued, as I've wondered if it is possible to combine both obedience and DWD at a high level.

Doing DWD actually helped my obedience as I now have so much more focus and a much happier dog who is waiting for me to throw him a hand signal (needs to be aware of what my hands are doing at all times) :rofl:

It's also a great way to keep your dog motivated between exercises, just through in the odd hand touch or twist, stops the dogs going flat :shhh: but don't tell anyone :laugh:

DWD dogs are also excelling at Rally O too. As we all ready train for all the exercises. :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif

I've been an on-off lurker and this comment has me intrigued, as I've wondered if it is possible to combine both obedience and DWD at a high level.

Yes it is possible to combine both.

I feel that most Heel work to music dogs are not dogs that have scored 200 in an obedience ring, so I am not sure how many handlers would notice a wide turn or heelwork that was different to what they usually get in an obedience ring.

I have entered a DWD comp coming up - so started playing in the lounge room with moves. Forgetting everything I ever learnt - I was rewarding near enough type behaviours as you do when you start something new - so sits that were off, walking backwards that was wide the list goes on and no I wasn't aware of it at the time. I was also getting frantic type behavour.

Came out for obedience training a week later and OMG it was ugly by my standards. So here was a dog who has been doing obedience since he was a little tacker and who is now nearly 9 who in less than 2 weeks I had moved the goal posts for.

I also have to say that my dog knows no tricks, didn't know how to walk backwards - so he has been on a steep learning curve. I think if you start a dog young in DWD moves and heelwork and lift the bar at the same rate you should have no problems at all

I managed to blow Em's sit stays.....every time I returned around her she scurried in reverse between my legs and end up in heel position :laugh: She was so pleased with herself that she'd finally worked the trick out! But, as Ptolomy said, you just need to take the time to clarify both behaviours....like when they get really excited and start anticipating the recall.

biggrin.gif

Yes it is possible to combine both.

I feel that most Heel work to music dogs are not dogs that have scored 200 in an obedience ring, so I am not sure how many handlers would notice a wide turn or heelwork that was different to what they usually get in an obedience ring.

I have entered a DWD comp coming up - so started playing in the lounge room with moves. Forgetting everything I ever learnt - I was rewarding near enough type behaviours as you do when you start something new - so sits that were off, walking backwards that was wide the list goes on and no I wasn't aware of it at the time. I was also getting frantic type behavour.

Came out for obedience training a week later and OMG it was ugly by my standards. So here was a dog who has been doing obedience since he was a little tacker and who is now nearly 9 who in less than 2 weeks I had moved the goal posts for.

I also have to say that my dog knows no tricks, didn't know how to walk backwards - so he has been on a steep learning curve. I think if you start a dog young in DWD moves and heelwork and lift the bar at the same rate you should have no problems at all

Your left side Heel position should be the same in obedience or DWD, don't lower your standards just because your doing DWD Heelwork to music, if your dog is just learning the other Heel positions I can understand why they might be off but your basic left Heel position should be the same.

The position of the dog in proportion to the handler are the same in all positions as they are in the left Heel position in obedience.

I can see what Ptolomy is saying and do agree with her. I don't think its specifically related to the heel position but more due to the element of flexibility in DWD/HTM. If you asked the dog for a trick which may look like a traditional obedience skill i.e. recalls/distance positions etc you are not likely to be pinged points to the same level you would if you compete in an obedience ring i.e. things like forward movement on a COP type trick.

I also think the flowing nature of DWD and the fact that its set to music does impact ever so slightly on the precision but it also as Ptolomy and BC4Me say it is very much up to the handler to insist on it and I suspect a lot don't.

:provoke: :provoke: don't you read the posts on the DWD yahoo email list Tassie? :p :rasberry: :laugh:

Didn't have to...had a secret source rofl....but you need to brag here for those that don't have "the knowledge " ;-)

OK, for those that don't know, Jarrah & I got our first leg & second place in Advanced Freestyle yesterday at the Brisbane Royal :dancingelephant: ( <-----me doing the happy dance :laugh: ). Thanks to BC4ME for :provoke: me to do it, it was my first trial in 10 months & our first trial in the advanced class & I nearly pulled out altogether because I didn't have my new advanced routine ready, but in the end I did my intermediate routine (with much ad libing because I forgot most of it :laugh: ) instead.

If I missed out before mrsd I will say it again congrats to you:). (im in Hervey bay atm) . Am catching up a little bit on what has been happening here when I go to internet cafe. Can't believe that my hols are nearly over and I get to see my kids soon

Thanks Kallistar, I didn't know you were away on holiday, hope you are enjoying yourself!

I managed another qualifier in Advanced Freestyle today at our Gold Coast competition, it was most definitely NOT his best performance ever, but I was just happy to qualify. I did my Intermediate routine again, at this rate I will have my Advanced Freetsyle title before my advanced freestyle routine is ready :laugh: .

Thanks Kallistar, I didn't know you were away on holiday, hope you are enjoying yourself!

I managed another qualifier in Advanced Freestyle today at our Gold Coast competition, it was most definitely NOT his best performance ever, but I was just happy to qualify. I did my Intermediate routine again, at this rate I will have my Advanced Freetsyle title before my advanced freestyle routine is ready :laugh: .

Whoo Hoo congrats getting any qualie on those grounds is an achievment, getting and advanced qualie is something you should be extremely proud of. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go Jarrah and Robyn :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Whoo Hoo congrats getting any qualie on those grounds is an achievment, getting and advanced qualie is something you should be extremely proud of. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go Jarrah and Robyn :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks Maree, yes it is definitely a very challenging environment, I think even more so than the Ekka. No one was there to take a video so I can't look back at it & judge for myself, I can only go on my gut feeling. My marks from the 3 judges varied by 10 points :eek: , I guess that's why we have 3 judges because every judge's interpretation is different. :)

Hi MrsD, Tux and I will still do we will meet again. (but I will be removing the lining of the skirt properly this time) and have another crack at our freestyle. Am going to give the young feral one a try too, but a lot will depend on what happens when I get back home.

Congratulations MrsD! Well done! :cheers::cheer::champagne:

Are any other DWD'ers going to Michele Pouliot while she is in Aus? I'm getting a bit excited now it's so close! :cooldance: