Stopping The Serial Coat Muncher

As it has been getting very cold (in the minuses)I have been (attempting to) coat my Kelpie Reggie.

Reggie is 11ish months old and never stops, hence he has very little/ no extra body fat. He does seem to shiver when it is freezing cold so i have been persisting.

When coated he seems snug enough when put to bed, and is happy to wear a coat under supervision/semi supervision. (I havent tried leaving one on him during the day as its not needed.) without fail by morning the coat will be off and/ or mauled. :mad I have tried different types of coats but have given up at the moment as it is getting expensive.

Is there a way to stop him killing his coats?

I wouldn't force him to wear the coat if he objects that much. He may damage himself struggling to get it off. Amazing how they can half strangle themselves on nothing much.

Maybe just more bedding that he can burrow into.

Is there a way to stop him killing his coats?

Yep :) Don't put one on him :o Honestly, if a young healthy dog has suitable bedding into which it can burrow/make a little nest/igloo, and is out of drafts , they should be warm enough. The best way to conserve body heat is to have a cocoon of bedding ... and a flat mattress with a couple of blankets just doesn't make the same shape... usually. :)if he's in a crate..then cover teh crate fully - esp near the floor where drafts get in ...maybe even give him newspaper ...lots ...that he can shred and nest in?

• <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

He sleeps outside either in an undercover sheltered verandah, or down in the shed where the (4) dogs have the choice of crates, trampoline beds and a kennel.

My parents do not like dogs in the house at night. :o We have a poultry stud so they like a dog outside to ward off foxes etc. which in my opinion is stupid, as the pens are secure and the dogs are asleep anyway! I'll have to see if They will allow a crate inside.

Unfortunately he kills bedding too :o though newspaper might be an idea. Would hay/straw work the same way?

I am in the same predicament.

I have dogs that chew coats off.

They also CHEW BLANKETS into THOUSANDS of little pieces each night. Dog mats have the same fate.

This year i have put a bale of straw for them to sleep in.They love it.

It does flatten down after a bit so you will need to poof it up every couple of weeks. They nestle down in it and in the mornings, there is little nests of where they have been sleeping.

Definitely worth doing.

I wouldn't even waste the time on blankets anymore.

STRAW is way cheaper..... And its natural so if they do happen to eat it, it will be digested........ Not like blankets that get tangled in intestines