Difficult Puppy

Bjelkier

I have a litter of 3 week old puppies who I've had to start introducing solids too, (pink slushies), they all love it and are eating very well except for one puppy.

He will taste it and then wont take anymore, fair enough, I figured he wasn't ready yet.But he's now also decided that the milk bar is too much effort as well.

He's hungry and goes quickly over to mum when she gets in the box and fights his brothers and sisters for a boob but then when it comes to sucking if the boob isn't super full he gives up. Problem is mum is getting sick of feeding them and isn't producing much milk anymore.

I've tried putting him on her first but he wont feed without the others with him, so I put one of the others on with him and that sort of works but when the boob dosn't pour milk at him and gives up soon after.

He lost a little weight a few days ago but we managed to get him back up to being about 90 or so grams lighter then the others.

This is my first litter so I have no idea if this is normal or not and I've had a hell of a time getting through to my girls breeder so I'm hoping someone on here has a bright idea to get this kid eating!

(If he's not eating well by tomorrow he will be going to the vets for a check)

Doesn't sound good. Difficult to diagnose without seeing the pup. Perhaps some mouth problem - teeth? Roof of mouth? Ulcers? Something wrong with his tongue? Maybe he has an infection? Or something wrong with him? Temperature? Gum colour? Worms? Intestinal problems? Oh, there are all sorts of choices.

I think maybe a problem with his mouth etc though.

I would take him to the vet, and I would put him on something like Nutridrops (not nutrigel) to encourage him.

Good luck

His temp is fine, gum colour normal, they were wormed last week, no sign of anything wrong with the roof of the mouth or the tongue.

He was eating really well until mum started drying up.

Thanks for the adice, I'll take him to the vet tomorrow to see if they can work anything out.

EDT I did notice that his teeth are coming through, could this be whats stopping him?

Edited by Bjelkier

How is he pooing? I had one who at 3 weeks...ish, started being difficult to feed. Wouldn't drink off mum and was "sitting up"- like stretching upwards, Thought he may have some sort of pain - infection, so took him to the vet. He was breathing "funny" and they thought he may have had a diaphramatic hernia. Nothing showed up on the x-rays but he had barium meal, which caused a lovely big poo. I think he may have been constipated because he came good after that.

He's pooping normally.

I gave him a little natural yogurt earlier which he loved and he then had a big feed from mum.

He's now walking around the box and he had a quick chew on one of the toys.

Not sure what this kid is playing at :confused:

I doubt that there is anything wrong at all as he has been a normal healthy puppy so far.

Some are just slower to wean that's all.

Maybe try a different food & warm it a little first. Don't know what pink slushies are however much as they are not what we generally like commercial canned food is usually loved by most dogs. So try a little puppy can & see what happens. Nothing lost. Then if he eats that & weight stabilises add the slushie bit by bit.

They must have some secret, evil ingredient :laugh: I have had kittens turn up their noses at sirloin steak & eat whiskas happily when weaning :confused:

I doubt that there is anything wrong at all as he has been a normal healthy puppy so far.

Maybe try a different food & warm it a little first. Don't know what pink slushies are however much as they are not what we generally like commercial canned food is usually loved by most dogs. So try a little puppy can & see what happens. Nothing lost. Then if he eats that & weight stabilises add the slushie bit by bit.

They must have some secret, evil ingredient :laugh: I have had kittens turn up their noses at sirloin steak & eat whiskas happily when weaning :confused:

There was and I found it. :laugh:

Apparently yogurt is his thing and that mixed with puppy milk and mince is just the best thing ever.

He's now eating like a little piggie along with all the others and going great :D

Pink slushies are mince and milk in a blender. YUM!