Does Anyone Else Get Teary In The Rescue Forum?

Squidgy

I can remember my first forays into the rescue forums here... I can best describe it as trial by fire... *grin*

If I had a dollar for every time I was told "you are new here" and then dictated to... and I still see that mentality from a lot of people in that forum regularly - even from ones I actually respect in real life. It does nothing to advance the cause and recruit those who may just become an asset to you if you just give them the chance. It shouldn't be automatically assumed that any newcomer to the rescue forum is a newcomer to all things dog...

There will always be those in any and all areas of the dog world who aren't doing things responsibly or ethically, but until they actually break some laws whilst doing their thing, how do we stop them?

Breeders can be removed from ANKC membership, but that doesn't stop them breeding dogs and selling to the public.

Rescuers can have a revolving door policy for their charges and have many failed homes, but it certainly isn't stopping them keeping up those practices that aren't obviously working for their unsuspecting adopters.

We have "good" and "bad" on all sides here... and those that are doing the right thing, whichever camp they are in, certainly don't like being tarred with the brush that says we are all "bad" because someone wants to generalise.

T.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember my first forays into the rescue forums here... I can best describe it as trial by fire... *grin*

T.

If it makes you feel any better, the posters on the rescue forum are pussy cats compared with the BSL forum (another I don't visit)

I recall suggesting in my early days here that perhaps, if APBT fanciers wanted the support of the wider dog owning public, they might like to address the levels of dog aggression in their preferred breed.

I ended up in the middle of something that looked like this:

nuclear-mushroom-cloud-1024x818.jpg

I am older and wiser now.... :laugh:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Hahaha @ HW's description of a foray into the BSL forum... I can relate to that with some of the various threads I've participated in on internet forums over the years... and DOL in general is quite tame compared to a few I've been on.

Personally, I just shake off any bitchiness, and read between the lines for the good stuff (ie. informational), and don't take any of it personally.

T.

Sure, things can always be improved and this applies to rescue too.

But I think we should be a bit more compassionate and forgiving of people doing the rescue.

Theirs is the emotional roller-coaster of joy and despair - no matter how seasoned one is in rescue. Dealing with human emotions is yet another challenge they face.

I speak from only very little experience (~2 years). It was enough to make me understand and I will always have the greatest respect and admiration for those who rescue and foster.

Edited by Kajtek

Lack of patience (sometimes) when dealing with hoomans :D

Yes, I think it is important to be patient with rescue. Sometimes they don't update their websites, or might be a bit slow in their correspondence. You can't expect top level of customer service, because most rescue people are volunteers.

But everyone placing dogs in other people's homes needs to have high standards of animal welfare and management and to be following current best practice. Breeder or rescuer.

But everyone placing dogs in other people's homes needs to have high standards of animal welfare and management and to be following current best practice. Breeder or rescuer.

:thumbsup:

Padraic I don't see an "in crowd" in rescue BUT maybe there is :shrug: I have only been involved in rescue for a very short time(2 years) and have the utmost respect for many in rescue.Some I call by their real names not to be "one of the in crowd" but because I have spoken to them on the phone or through PM's.I have seen you make many generous donations to help which is wonderful but if you think rescue is not for you then don't do it.

How did you arrive at that? Nothing of the sort was said or implied.

Probably because your original statement is so commonly used by some people to defend some really appalling behaviour that goes on. As if rescuers are above all reproach because they rescue dogs. That is why I questioned you as well. Thanks for explaining that you meant having patience with people.

As for advertising, I think that the rescue thread is good because it is a humble reminder that no dog born into the word (papered or otherwise) despite the best efforts of the breeder/owner is immune from finding itself in rescue, breed or otherwise. It is not harmful to acknowledge this. Why should this be put under the blanket of a closed forum?

Like a bad program on a good channel you can choose to look/partake or not...one doesnt stop watching for televison because of a program they dont approve of. There are threads/topics allover DOL that can be emotive and cause disagreement...many get closed promptly..but there are guidelines for the control of such topics discussed.

I dont mind seeing the activity of a rescue group noted by name because it acknowledges the hard work and current actions of the group. To me it is reassurance a group actually puts the work into its terms as a rescue.

In my time working at dog shelters on a volunteer basis there like all places using volunteer help going to be the "popular" volunteers (of self promotion) that serve to pass the dirty work onto other less considered, but as hardworking volunteers....would it stop me from helping no: because I am not there to be esteemed just to do my best. Likewise situations arise where certain volunteers go outside of guidelines:with the differing situations in rescue sometimes one has to think/operate outside the square to get things done. I think that as long as the animal is not put at risk I can understand that. I know of one organization that has strict publicized guidelines that doesnt always allegedly act upon the best interests of animals concerned to my interpretation. Ive seen it in the shelter I volunteered at once, I was saddened but not discouraged.

I think view rescue forum as one of hope, not just of sadness. There are slices of disagreement in all areas of a public forum. Sometimes I think life is down to the "let he who hath no sin cast the first stone" aka deep breath &put yourself in the other persons shoes before criticizing.

I just can't visit the rescue forum anymore - I can't deal with watching animals die. When I'm in a position to do something about it I will start looking in there again.

I don't envy those that work at places like Renbury etc and have to put animals to sleep on a weekly basis. I have the utmost respect for them.

Padraic I don't see an "in crowd" in rescue BUT maybe there is :shrug: I have only been involved in rescue for a very short time(2 years) and have the utmost respect for many in rescue.Some I call by their real names not to be "one of the in crowd" but because I have spoken to them on the phone or through PM's.I have seen you make many generous donations to help which is wonderful but if you think rescue is not for you then don't do it.

A decent post and reassuring for Padraic.

I've also come to have great respect for many in rescue that I've dealt with. It involves them working in situations where things have gone wrong for both people and dogs. Oftentimes... horribly and badly wrong. All sorts of 'calls' have to be made, including matters of life and death.

This really tests rescuers' emotional resilience as well management policies and skills.

When this kind of work is done for humans, de-briefing is provided where all sorts of things relating to cases can be talked through in a non-judgmental context.

And I've learned there's many ways to contribute to rescue....

Edited by mita

I had someone (not from DOL, but involved in the industry) give me what I thought was a pretty darned good compliment not that long ago... she said that I have "the ability to be dispassionate with compassion" - basically meaning that I can make the hard decisions and follow them through, but do it with respect and compassion for the animal involved.

There are some others in rescue that I respect a lot, who I would describe as being the same - they can think with both heart AND head when it comes to their charges.

The "save them all at any cost" brigade are not those I have much respect for - and thusly don't take any of their comments to heart when they try the guilt trip stuff on.

T.

I agree T..

They can't all be saved and honestly, some shouldn't be... Often through no fault of their own but because they have become a product of the toads who raised them and then dumped them...

I wish there was no reason for rescue. I wish for the day when breeding is done responsibly by everyone (as much as I hate BYB, I have accepted they will never go away)...

I know there are plenty of wonderful breeders out there but sadly I think for every good breeder there is probably half a dozen that don't care where their pups end up...

It is a long hard road to educate people. I don't know how many times I have suggested to friends not to get a dog because they don't have the time and just because the kids want one is not reason enough... Then the poor dog ends up in the backyard because it is untrained, then becomes unwanted... Not much of a life for mans best friend hey!