I Am Not A Snob -

Salukifan

One more thing. History does not support the theory that purebred dogs were the sole purview of the wealthy. My two breeds of choice have some pretty strong working class or lower associations. Poachers and prostitutes!Whippets were developed by English coal miners to race once a week and put a bunny in the cooking pot when they could.

Entire groups of purebred dogs were developed for working lives by people who carefully selected and refined certain characteristics because they didn't want to take chances on randomly bred pups.

I know I am off topic but I am fairly new so forgive my ignorance, but what sort of dogs do prostitutes traditionally own?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Before I started posting on dog forums, I would never have known that snobbery toward purebred owners even existed. I accept that some rescues may have facebook pages and fans etc that promote messages like every purebred means the death of a shelter dog, but I don’t think this is as widespread as those facebooks would have you believe.

But to be honest, I think discussions like this can degenerate into a bit of a straw man – it feels like a division is being created and reinforced where it doesn’t necessarily exist, or exist to the degree that it appears. It’s the same as people talking about The Left and The Right and some huge conspiracy, when really.. we’re all just people. People who think or act a different way to you doesn’t imply that they’re a coordinated group of people acting in concert against you.

I have a purebred, and grew up with purebreds by accident, and also then some BYBs – none were more or less loved or cared about by virtue of their breeding or source.

I do get annoyed sometimes when I see people with crossbred pups but it’s usually when the owners are clueless and you can just see trouble down the road with the breeds they’ve got, without really thinking about it. They’re the kind of dthoughtless spur of the moment decisions that are problematic. And that’s not to say that people don’t make mindless decisions to get x kind of purebred either, or that some breeders couldn’t give a rat’s where their dogs end up.

I agree with this - I really don't think these types of threads achieve anything.

One more thing. History does not support the theory that purebred dogs were the sole purview of the wealthy. My two breeds of choice have some pretty strong working class or lower associations. Poachers and prostitutes!Whippets were developed by English coal miners to race once a week and put a bunny in the cooking pot when they could.

Entire groups of purebred dogs were developed for working lives by people who carefully selected and refined certain characteristics because they didn't want to take chances on randomly bred pups.

I know I am off topic but I am fairly new so forgive my ignorance, but what sort of dogs do prostitutes traditionally own?

Historically, small poodles have been popular pets in brothels. I understand that for "soiled doves" in the USA in the 1800's, where sometimes a woman was the sole prostitute in a town and ostracised by other women, it was a very lonely life. Poodles were sometimes the other only companions these women had. Other small breeds have filled the role as "comforter" over the years and for aristocratic women in times of arranged marriages and children being raised outide a nuclear family environment, they did the same. Until about the 1950's when poodles became the darlings of a few celebrities, quite a few "respectable" American women wouldn't be seen dead with one.

Lavendergirl:

I agree with this - I really don't think these types of threads achieve anything.

I think a few folk have learned something. Let me clarify - this isn't a rescue bashing thread (I made it clear the attitudes I object to are not universal in that group) and nor is it a crossbred bashing thread.

I object to the fact that I prefer purebred dogs being written off as "you do it so you can think you're better than other people". No, I do it because I support responsible breeding and because I prefer to get my dogs as pups, I try to improve the predictability of the characteristics of my adult pets. Dismissing it a "snobbery" is not only unfair, but allows those who expound that statement to conveniently skirt a host of other issues about dog characteristics and selection.

No one's holding a gun to people's heads to read or respond to the thread.. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'm a Snob and proud of it.

This.

Like it or not, people are attracted to different things and this includes dogs.

I like my Irish farm dogs and outside of their very attractive looks, the attitude cannot be duplicated by any other breed. I'm pretty sure most pedigree dog snobs would say the same of their chosen breed.

And I will note for the rescue snobs, I rescued my dogs from their lives of luxury giving them another life of luxury.

Edited by Sheridan

Padraic, you made my day. Best post in the whole thread. :)

I think the strongest snobbery will probably reflect in those that feel the need to have the latest of whatever is new and trendy be it an Ipad or dare I say it "Labradoodle", "Cavoodle" or 'rare blue' breed.

I also have witnessed snobbery at what breed some people own, many look down their noses at small breeds with a "it's not a real dog" attitude. I hate that.

That said the worst snobbery I've encountered is "intellectual snobbery". :( It has nothing to do with dogs.

When it comes to my chosen livestock guardian breed, I am proud to say that I am breedist and breederist. My chosen breed does not give me the ability to be lax in the animals history or breed trait, I want to be sure what I am looking at and have the back up support from my breeder to ensure that my dog and my family work as a cohesive unit

I should note that I am a snob within the purebred community as well as there are many pure breeds I would not own (so Golden Retriever and Border Collie people can call me a snob too :D )

(and please dont tell our 12 year old GSDx currently sleeping behind my chair that he is 'not good enough' either :laugh: )

I should note that I am a snob within the purebred community as well as there are many pure breeds I would not own

LOl, me too. It's not that they are a pure breed that makes me have them, it's that they are the pure breed for me.

Edited by Diva

If puppies were only available from reputable registered pure bred breeders, who take back their dogs if they need re-homing, there would not be any need for rescue.

After working at a large shelter I often wonder, if there were no shelters and rescue organisations and people were obliged to have unwanted dogs put down, would they be more careful about getting the next one. Most dogs end up in rescue shelters because it is just so easy to dump them there and the dumpers live with the idea that there are all these wonderful homes lined up to take the untrained monster they created. Then they get another puppy and the cycle continues. :mad

That said the worst snobbery I've encountered is "intellectual snobbery". :( It has nothing to do with dogs.

O/T, if it's 'snobbery', then it's not 'intellectual'. The 'intellectual' has to be objective.

I agree with you that there can be a kind of snobbery about owning a certain breed or 'produced' mix....that's only based on a personal sense of being 'in' a current fashion.

A US registered breeder told us how she was sitting behind two trendy New York ladies when the tibbies came into the ring at Westminster Dog Show. One said to the other, 'These are tibetan spaniels. They're very 'in', at the moment, because anything to do with buddhism is 'in'. The breeder said she went cold!

Edited by mita

I hate the "small dogs aren't real dogs" thing too :( I mentioned that I wanted a silky terrier and people were like "Why would you want a yip yip?" and "Pfft that's not even a real dog"

Wait...so my little dog Poco wasn't a real dog? Hmmm...all these years I lied to myself...

I want a purebred because I like the breed... And don't want something mangy from a BYB that hasn't been cared for, hence the registered, ethical breeder - research!

And $1000 for a dog that'll last at least 10 years (probably 15) works out to less than $75 a year :p if we want to get really pedantic!

If you compare that to an iPad the new version comes out in 6 months!

Edited by Scootaloo

I should note that I am a snob within the purebred community as well as there are many pure breeds I would not own (so Golden Retriever and Border Collie people can call me a snob too :D )

LOL!!!! Being a goldie owner who has owned a border collie before I do not see any snobbery in having the knowing of which breed is for you.

I have a list as long as my arm of dog breeds i refuse to own. Others I've never considered.

It comes down to preference and ability to accommodate owner needs to dog needs and visa versa.

A marathon runner probably wouldn't own a pug, An elderly person would more then likely not have a 2yr kelpie and A person in a unit is less likely to have a GSD.

Of course rescues and purebreds aren't always two distinct groups. And the "dog snob" label isn't limited to rescue circles.

I find it ironic that crossbred owners who think a purebred dog is somehow to be sneered at are often the same folk very keen to describe their dog in exactly those terms. They just use more than one breed to do it and sometimes the breeds used are a bit of a stretch.

I dont think my dogs pedigree makes ME superior. As pets it doesn't make them superior to a crossbred either. What that pedigree does makecthem is responsibly bred and a better fit for my home.

I have had purebreds and crossbreeds, I rescue both and as someone else said before, "a good dog is a good dog".

I rarely go to dog parks but last year I took 3 of my beautifully natured little rescue dogs along and there were 5 people there with 3 purebred dogs in a little group and as I walked by, they were saying and pointing "what a funny looking dog" and things like that, they were sneering ... they were the snobs. They were morons who couldn't see past the fact that my gentle and good natured, quiet little dog wasn't any good because he wasn't a purebred.

There are many people out there who don't know much about dogs but who have prejudices that cause them to judge things on sight. Never a good way to behave.

I think the strongest snobbery will probably reflect in those that feel the need to have the latest of whatever is new and trendy be it an Ipad or dare I say it "Labradoodle", "Cavoodle" or 'rare blue' breed.

I also have witnessed snobbery at what breed some people own, many look down their noses at small breeds with a "it's not a real dog" attitude. I hate that.

So agree. I have actually found more of what I perceived to be dog snobbery from designer dog owners.

Although I suppose I am a dog snob in return as I can't stand designer dog names even though I have mutts.

I am the ultimate dog snob! I like the vast majority of dogs far more than I like the vast majority of people. :bolt:

S

Yep, biggrin.gif

I think it is important to remember that there are good and bad breeders of pedigree, cross- breeds and mutts.

To me all dogs are equal and they all deserve an equal chance in life.

I agree. I think this debate can swing both ways really. Some (not all) crossbreed or mutt owners may look down their nose at pedigree dogs for a reason whilst some pedigree owners will look down their noses at pound, byb and petshop dogs for their stated reasons. Everyone is different and everyone has the right to purchase their dogs where they want. I think there probably always has and always will be stereotypes about these things and nothing much will change that.

I am the ultimate dog snob! I like the vast majority of dogs far more than I like the vast majority of people. :bolt:

S

I'm the same. I don't think that makes us snobs though, just smart. :rofl:

S

This! :)

Edited by Meea