Memory Card Question

I had to give my old 2GB SD card to mum as she got a camera for Mother's Day and it didn't have one. I went out today to buy another card for my camera and because of the price (and the fact I have loads of 1 and 2GB cards lying around with photos still on them from past trips that I have done nothing with) I bought an 8GB SDHC card. It is Sandisk and has the SDHC logo on it.

Now I'm not sure whether I would've been better just getting another 2GB SD card? My camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMW BCD10. My camera manual is a little confusing on the topic - it recommends SD cards up to 2GB but says you can also use SDHC cards of 4GB or greater as well as long as they have the genuine SDHC logo on them (otherwise they wont be SD quality). What the?

So what do you photography experts think of a higher gig card? Is there any difference in quality for a Lumix? I figured it would save me having lots of smaller cards floating around on my trips.

Thank you!

No, there shouldn't be any difference.

I use everything from 1GB to 8GB SD and SDHC cards in my baby cameras with no problems - and I use everything from cheap cheap to expensive cards (honestly, the expensive ones were gifts LOL). You'll be fine.

As for capacity, doesn't really matter how big your card is - just back them up. If the photos were important to me I'd be just as devastated to lose 1GB as I would to lose 8GB. It's very rare for me to not download my cards every day, I'm just not willing to risk losing stuff.

Thanks Kja - I'm the same - even though I have full cards floating around they are also on our portable hard drive but after trips I like to isolate the card until I sort through the photos and print out what I want, otherwise I would forget where I'm up to. I also clean my camera off every couple of days or after events.

I got the bigger card because I do travel a bit and tend to avoid taking vid footage because I'm worried I'll fill the card. This way I wont have to worry so much!