Aggression Between Desexed Females

Hi there,

I have two whippets who have recently started scrapping.

Monet is 6yrs old and Diva is almost two. Both girls are desexed and we've had Monet for 18mths and Diva for nearly 8mths with absolutely no issues. Over the past few weeks when all the dogs (4) are playing in the backyard and doing zoomies, Monet will stand to the side and bark. Diva will leave her game of chasey or tug and rush Monet. They will both be low growling and posturing, head as high as it can go, 4 feet square on the ground, hackles up and usually ends with Diva licking Monet's face. This normally lasts less than 1 minute then it all goes back to normal.

Usually we'd only see this once per day and only when in an excited state. The last three days during the same actions (always happens when we go outside to see the dogs) of playing the girls have stepped it up to some snapping as well. No contact is made and it is over before it starts.

Today it has escalated to Monet grabbing a hold of the side of Divas face, no skin broken. They didn't listen to me and when Monet let go, Diva went at her. You could hear teeth clashing, lots of growling. It took me to run to the hose and blast the hose to get them to separate. Only injuries are a puncture to one ear each!

They have since snuggled up on the couch, eaten side by side (as they always do) but just before when Monet went to jump on the couch, Diva started growling at her and I worry it could escalate again.

So I guess I want to know what the best way is to progress from here, as I don't want it to escalate, it was scary to witness. Our other dogs are boys, one desexed, the other is 6mths old and both snuggle up to either or both girls in a big pile.

I see it as Diva wanting to be the dominant dog. Monet is currently in that spot and she does not want to back down.

Any tips or advice much appreciated and also your own experiences.

Sorry it is long winded.

MnDM

My advice is to get some help/advice from a qualified (and hopefully DOL recommended) behaviourist in your area... if the behaviour does escalate, it will only be harder to manage later...

I have to keep my 2 older girls separated at all times now because I didn't see the warning signs early enough.

T.

I've had issues with Kibah and Penny before that I've written about here. They've only had 2 serious fights but they were bad. I have no doubt if I'd taken Hugh Wirths advice and let them sort it out, I'd have a dead dog on my hands. I have to watch and manage it now, always. Mine aren't as matey as yours are, they generally avoid eye contact with each other. I wouldn't want it to happen again as Penny is now quite frail but she still thinks she's top dog.

I hope this settles down for you

Monet is 6 years, so could she be suffering some pain from the cold weather? any weakness can trigger unusual behaviour.

Whippet girls can be nasty to each other, but a lot of breeders seem to manage multiple girls. Have you called your breeder for advice or a Whippet mentor? I'd also post in the Whippet section. There's be a lot of people with Whippet specific experience and probably some advice to tide you over until you get a behavioural person in.

I'd think (probably naiveley) the dominance issues between the girls would be less if the humans increase their control and dominance- in any case, it won't hurt as a starter to enforce basic obedience and rules, no one on the lounge until invited- or maybe as the lounge is an issue no one on the lounge- both on a mat, all dogs sit before anyone is allowed through the door, all have to sit while meals are prepared etc, don't feed them until you've eaten etc (very hard in some situations)

How are they with food and other resources? If the aggro is happening when people are around is it a resource issue with you being the resource?

Thanks for all your responses so far.

We usually get home after work, cook dinner, eat and then go see the dogs, who've been watching through the glass doors!

All our dogs sit on a mat whilst their food is being prepared, sit before receiving their food, are fed in order. Monet and Benson always finish first and are held back until the other two finish. But even if they get to eachothers bowls, its 4 heads in a bowl and not a peep. They wait to be let inside. They are outside during the day and only allowed inside at night once we're home.

All the whippets have jackets to keep them warm. Monet races and shows no sign of slowing down. They have three doonas and couches to sleep on during the day. At night, Monet and Benson sleep in the garage, she has three doonas and her jammies on. Diva is crated inside.

I'm starting to think that I might be the resource. Diva is very attached to me, she came to us with some separation anxiety where as Monet is not fussed. They all happily play with toys, bones and each other. It only happens when they are in an excited state playing in the backyard and barking. It is almost like Monet is trying to keep them quiet and Diva reacts when Monet is telling her off. But it doesn't happen every time they all play, just once in a while.

The growling on the couch only happened once last night, they spent the rest of the night and morning snuggled up together.

I am a trainer of exotic animals, but with not having experienced this kind of behaviour between dogs in my own home before I thought of Dol first and know i need to act quickly but do the right things? I will be contacting the girls breeder today for some more advice.

More than happy to hear what people think or if you've been in a similar situation.

MnDM

Edited by Monet n Diva's Mum

Rosie and Luci can be crated together, in fact they often choose to be in the same crate even when more are available. They will eat off the same plate. They play together all the time. When Rosie went to NSW for a spell Luci even went off her food (Trust me Luci LOVES her food) However we have had three good scraps where I have had to physically pick up two locked bitches which has resulted in a few good scratches & a couple of not so deep teeth marks. They are so focused on getting each other its a time out (out of sight for each other away from us) for half an hour until both have settled down. I know exactly how you feel MnD its heartbreaking to witness. It is a dominance issue here. I have since found the 'triggers" and I am careful to avoid them. The first is my bed. If the kids choose to pick one of my dogs off the bed it triggers them to get aggressive with each other. As I am alpha I can perform this, but the kids are not so good at showing their rank per se and so the dogs will challenge each other in fear one is being favored. Same with play, I can play fetch with my dogs, take the toy and such but if the kids do and take the toy the other dog will charge the one who has given up the toy. All incidents have been where the kids have been involved in the group and I have been absent (as by being indirectly in the room but not involved in the action.) Unfortunately my dogs see themselves as number two and three under me the alpha so when Im "absent" challenges happen. By supervising, avoiding situations where such occur and working with the kids/dog relationship things have got alot better. It is the exception for this aggression to pop up. I hope things work out for you MnD

Thank you RedAngel. I certainly hope our girls will be like yours. Today when the dogs grabbed a toy and went zooming off in the backyard we've just closed the door and called Monet in, she just goes and sleeps on the couch, not fussed. There was one incidence of just posturing this morning, but it all ended very quickly. We've asserted our role as alpha in the last 24hrs and have now got a no dogs on laps uninvited rule. We'll see how the next few days go and hoping with the extra training and being firmer with them we can minimise the occurrence of the locking jaws! It has only happened once. Right now they are all snuggled up together.

We are now just very aware of the triggers and know what to watch out for. We are definitely not going with the 'oh, they'll sort themselves out' attitude.

Thank you again

MnDM

Thank you RedAngel. I certainly hope our girls will be like yours. Today when the dogs grabbed a toy and went zooming off in the backyard we've just closed the door and called Monet in, she just goes and sleeps on the couch, not fussed. There was one incidence of just posturing this morning, but it all ended very quickly. We've asserted our role as alpha in the last 24hrs and have now got a no dogs on laps uninvited rule. We'll see how the next few days go and hoping with the extra training and being firmer with them we can minimise the occurrence of the locking jaws! It has only happened once. Right now they are all snuggled up together.

We are now just very aware of the triggers and know what to watch out for. We are definitely not going with the 'oh, they'll sort themselves out' attitude.

Thank you again

MnDM

Yep! I'm definitely the Alpha Bitch in this household :laugh:

Well the last 24hrs have been good! No growling and definitely no flare ups!

We've taken all the dogs for a big run/walk so they are now sleeping and too tired to even think about starting something!

I guess we all get a bit lax from time to time and it's these events that jolt us out of our comfort level and get us on guard for everything again!