Visitors Here. Dog Not Eating Much N Growling

hi everyone we have 2 adults n2 children visiting n my dog is hardly eating. normally she gulps it down. is this normal cos she may feel unsettled. also everytime in the mornin or wen they go out she growls n barks at them. is she just being normal n protective of us.

This is not normal bshaviour - your dog sounds stressed and fearful. Separate him from the visitors immediately and call a professional for help. Ignoring this could result in biting.

Your girl does sound very stressed..and this needs careful and professional treatment . Dogs which are fearful ,and show aggression can be tricky to handle ..

I also suggest you call in someone experienced ....

thanks for ur suggestions. Ive called a dog trainer which has been recommended and hes coming to the house on friday, so hopefully we can see some improvements soon.

I did see also outside, shes either been sick, or had sloppy poos, so that could be why she isnt eating properly, if she is like this in a couple of days, i might take her to the vet just to be sure nothing is wrong.

thanks again :)

thanks for ur suggestions. Ive called a dog trainer which has been recommended and hes coming to the house on friday, so hopefully we can see some improvements soon.

I did see also outside, shes either been sick, or had sloppy poos, so that could be why she isnt eating properly, if she is like this in a couple of days, i might take her to the vet just to be sure nothing is wrong.

thanks again :)

I would defiantly recommend a trip to the vet. The sloppy poo might be a sign of stress, or the stress may be a sign of some other illness.

The dog sounds very stressed, best to keep it separated from the visitors in an area where it feels safe..

If the dog is crate trained it might be ideal to let him stay in there as much as possible. Not locked in but give the dog access to his crate..

I know my lot like to be able to get away sometimes and I always find them in their crates...

And Friday is a very long way away in the scheme of things. A dog acting unpredictably with strangers, especially if some of those strangers are children is an incident waiting to happen. I would be keeping everybody except those who absolutely MUST interact with the dog away from it if you cannot get help sooner.

I also recommend a thorough vet check before the trainer comes!

A trainer

a: should not work with a dog who has a possibly contagious tummy bug , which they will then carry to other clients .., and

b: it is unfair to the dog and trainer to work with a sick dog.

Stress wouldn't normally cause a fit and healthy dog to not eat

I disagree with this, but do agree that the dog should see a vet now just to rule anything medical out.

I personally wouldnt have a trainer there whilst the visitors were there as this may in fact stress the dog more and then associate this as negative...seperate the dog (by seperating I mean allowing the dog its own area, do not change the dogs routine, as then they will feel something is not right), allow her access to somewhere where she feels safe, do not force her to interact with the visitors, let her be :)

German Shepherds especially at this age can go through a second "fear period"

i wouldnt have a clue how to change a tyre, its a 4wd and i wouldnt even know how to lift the car up, never mind get the tyre off, my hubby is at work all day, and theres no one around who can help me :(

i just hope shes ok, she looks so sad, and just wants to lie down and sleep all day :(

If you have a crate, just put her in the crate and let her be.

Or put her somewhere quiet, so she can have a proper rest and not be stressed out.

Can you call your vet and asked if someone can come around and pick her up?

I think some vet have that kind of service.

ill contact trainer today and rearrange in case she is sick n of all days my bloody car has a flat tyre so i can't get her to the vet today :(

When I lived n WA I had a home Vet, it cost the same as a visit to a clinic. I lived in the Balcatta area, but if you're not around that area, I am sure there will be home Vets in your area.

Angelnkids

Hopefully, it's nothing serious for her, but you won't know until you get to a vet. You have options including asking your visitors to drive you or to help with the tyre- get proactive, and no I don't mean the pimple cream.

It's a 4Wd, not a Nuclear reactor....there's usually a manual with instructions on how to change the tyre....what do you mean no one to help you? There are visitors at least for moral support.

Remember .....you are not helpless unless you choose to be, and your dog is counting on you.