Separating Dogs

ruthjones

Well Patches has come back in season, thank goodness, however this time we have another issue, separating the trio!

You see, we have 3 dogs at the moment, as we bought a beagle pup in December, which is mainly my husband's dog.

So we obviously don't want to compromise this litter and seeing as he is about 7 months old I thought it best to keep him apart, but he is being very silly about things.

So tell me, am I being too much of a worrier and he is too young to interfere or am I doing the right thing?

Ruth

I'll pass too....I have two entire males (a Lowchen and a Stafford) who get on beautifully...the last thing I need is a smelly girl throwing a spanner in the works! :laugh:

Seriously though, although the "dog shuffle" isn't fun, it is doable. Crate training is essential. Vigilant shutting of doors and gates is required. Chlorophyll may help to lessen the smell. And if you do crate them, don't make the mistake of crating them in separate rooms....funnily enough, they usually settle far more quickly if the object of their affection is within sight, hearing and smell. Separating them can lead to the great crate breakout and lots of howling and moaning!!

For those of you in this boat - I have a reverse ish question.

I've had to separate my two, bitch on heat not being mated this cycle. My dog has come from a home where he was entire male #3 and too young to be used, so he has been around sweet smelling bitches who he wasn't allowed near!

He has matured while living with us (tremendously actually!) and the dogs are not crossing paths, but she is still urinating in the same backyard he is urinating in. I'm sure he can smell her through the house despite neither crossing over into the opposite section, and while he is 'interested' he is not going mental or begging to be with her etc, etc, as you would expect from a entire male.

Does anyone else have well behaved entires around bitches on heat?? I'm worried when it comes to his time to perform he will flounder!

My boy is very good when the girls are in season. He proved that this weekend when he was shown with no less then four in season bitches camped around him and having come from home where one of our own girls is in.

He couldn't have cared less, however the second he this he has a shot at them he'll take it.

He almost got our youngest girl when he was only a baby!

And the young boy I used to mate my older bitch recently was very good. He was quite, ate his dinner, didn't get silly but mated our girl very quickly when out with her. And he certainly didn't miss, she's due to whelp in 7 days.

Yep, have two well behaved entires now and my old boy was a gem. He had what I like to call a "stud nose". Wasn't even INTERESTED in a bitch, whether resident or visiting, until she was ready. Then he'd do the deed firmly but gently and give her a kiss when it was all over and then walk away and go and have a snooze.

My current two are still largely unknown quantities although one has been used once, the week before he arrived in my home. He seems to know what a bitch is and what a juicy one smells like, is keen to do his job, but doesn't let his brain dribble out of his left ear.

The third, well, for the amount of interest he has shown in girls, I'm starting to question his sexuality! :laugh:

For those of you in this boat - I have a reverse ish question.

I've had to separate my two, bitch on heat not being mated this cycle. My dog has come from a home where he was entire male #3 and too young to be used, so he has been around sweet smelling bitches who he wasn't allowed near!

He has matured while living with us (tremendously actually!) and the dogs are not crossing paths, but she is still urinating in the same backyard he is urinating in. I'm sure he can smell her through the house despite neither crossing over into the opposite section, and while he is 'interested' he is not going mental or begging to be with her etc, etc, as you would expect from a entire male.

Does anyone else have well behaved entires around bitches on heat?? I'm worried when it comes to his time to perform he will flounder!

My Male is very well behaved, no going off food, yelling the house down or trying to escape etc.

When the time came he performed perfectly, but as soon as the mating was over, went back to his normal self.