When Do You Draw The Line?

I know that this is probably more of a personal choice scenario, and of course taking into consideration the well being of the dog, but I was just wondering?

My Bosco had three lumps removed the other week, and one of them came back as a grade 1 mast cell tumor. The other two were fine. He also has one on his eyelid that we were going to leave and just keep an eye on it, as at the time of the first consultation, the vet said if it needed to come out then he would likely lose part of his eyelid with it.

Anyhoo, took him in to have the stiches out yesterday and at the same time booked him in to have more surgery to the site of the cancerous tumor to have more tissue removed. He has had another growth come up since the first operation on his hind leg, and I also asked if the one on his eye should now come out. The vet said she would check with the pathologist about that one. So, get the call this morning, and the pathologist has recommended taking fine needle aspirates of the one on his leg and his eye, just incase they don't need to come out at all, so he will only be getting the chest surgery done this time around.

But, if the new sites come back with cancerous cells, then he will have to go in for yet another surgery to remove them, and I have been told that he will need a skin flap for his leg as it is right on the bone, and his eye will likely have to be removed. He will also have to have any new growths tested/removed as they pop up.

Obviously I am hoping for all the results to come back clear, but I am so scared and worried, because if his chest area is not clear, then chemo is the next option (I think) and another surgery if the other area's come back not clear - I mean he is a healthy dog otherwise, but when is too much just too much??

If he does need another surgery, I will do what I can to have him clear and healthy, but I really don't think I can afford chemo. I know I may be jumping the gun a bit, adn there is every hope he will be fine, but I feel guilty already about not giving him everything I can if he needs more and more. :cry:

Sorry, I just have so much going through my mind at the moment..

ETA: Just thought I should clarify that I am in no way giving up on my boy anytime soon. He will get all the treatment he can within my means, it was more a question of how much surgery is too much, and of course I am worried about the off chance he comes back with dirty margins.

Edited by lokelani

You're right - it is a personal choice. But this is mine, if that helps you at all ...

If my dog is happy and bright, with a sparkle in his eye telling me he is still enjoying life in between the surgeries, then I'd continue to do what was necessary provided I could afford it.

When things get extreme in so far as expenses are concerned - I mean, way beyond what you might or could have thought of as reasonable when you took on a dog, then it is not your fault if you can't afford them and you shouldn't be in a position where you blame yourself for not being able to meet those extreme expenses and how far you go to try to is completely a personal choice.

That's what I think.

ETA: And I also wish you and your dog the best of luck. Sounds to me like you're one of those owners who are 'up there' on the "great" list :).

Edited by Erny

Contact Dr Ann Neville at Sth Rd Animal Health in Bentleigh, Vic. She successfully treated my mast cell tumour dog with chinese herbs and he lived another 3 healthy years until he was nearly 14. He had no clear margins and my vets had given him a prognosis of no more than 6 months. Ann worked with my vets in Sydney by phone and sent the treatments up to me.

Personally I will not use chemo on a dog. I have friends who have spent $8000 - $35000 on chemo, only to have ill dogs that didn't last a year. I have seen a lot more good results with cancer dogs using chinese medicine and it works out a lot cheaper with no side effects.

I find the issue is it it creeps up on you. If I was asked am I prepared to spend $10,000 on a dog my answer may be no but when it is just $700 here and there it is difficult to say enough even when the sum total spent is huge. I never want to have to say no more based on financial reasons but the truth is sometimes that is reality and we all have to live within our means. I try to focus more on the quality of life the dog is having and also the end result. I personally would struggle to spend thousands to extend the life of a dog 6-12mths

Thank you for that info dancinbcs, I will defintely keep that name handy should I need it! I was wondering if there was an alternative to chemo!

cowanbree, I agree. The thought of having to find the huge amount for chemo is what worried me, where as if he just needs surgeries over time, then I can keep topping up my credit card or savings account to pay for these. I just won't try to think about all those little amounts as one big one :laugh:

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the comments, advice and well wishes. :)

Em only you can make those decisions. Having said that, Bosco is a great dog, and he's very special to you, I know that. I would spend what you can comfortably afford and nothing more. If it's a stretch, you may find yourself in difficulties. Dogs don't know what cancer is but they know pain and joy. Give him joy and minimise his pain. Above that is the cream IMO. Sorry it's not much help but it's the best I've got. :(

The cost is as much as you are willing to spend...

I honestly stopped counting after about $15k with Ollie and I would do it over again in a heartbeat..

He was MCT grade 2 with no clear margins at multiple tumour sites. With chemo and holistic treatment he lived another 6 years...

Chemo is not an issue for most dogs, they just don't give them enough to make them sick like they do with humans because the cost for a bone marrow transplant in dogs is out of reach of the average pet owner... Chemo in dogs is purely to get them into remission and is not used specifically as a cure.. Well that is what our oncologist told me at the time, it could be different now as that was 6 years ago...

Honestly grade one is really not to much to worry about and is curable with treatment..

Grade 2 can act like a 1 or a 3 and grade 3, if clear margins are taken, can be a non event as well.. Moppets, jack had it a few years back..

I do believe they have changed the gradings since ollie was first dxd

I know it is scary and the costs can be just as scary but if it isn't a problem, the dog is well and enjoying life.. I say go for it...

You know they say a dog will let you know when they have had enough and I honestly didn't believe it until it was time to say goodbye to Ollie.

That day he just looked at me and I knew it was time to say goodbye...

Thanks Jen, he is a special boy.

Thanks for that info too Jodie - I am really hoping that everything goes well from here, and he does not need any further treatment after the next surgery. I have been told that his chances are good being only a grade 1.

Bosco is still healthy and well, and I want to do the best by him that I can, I just can't help but get nervous about it.

My dally had a grade 1 mast cell tumour removed with clear margins at a year old and she has just turned 10 with no reoccurance. It is scary but there is always hope and a grade 1 is early stages.

You're right - it is a personal choice. But this is mine, if that helps you at all ...

If my dog is happy and bright, with a sparkle in his eye telling me he is still enjoying life in between the surgeries, then I'd continue to do what was necessary provided I could afford it.

When things get extreme in so far as expenses are concerned - I mean, way beyond what you might or could have thought of as reasonable when you took on a dog, then it is not your fault if you can't afford them and you shouldn't be in a position where you blame yourself for not being able to meet those extreme expenses and how far you go to try to is completely a personal choice.

That's what I think.

ETA: And I also wish you and your dog the best of luck. Sounds to me like you're one of those owners who are 'up there' on the "great" list :).

This.

Hug to you and Bosco - I totally understand what you're going through. All I can say is, just to take it as it comes, because I believe that when the times comes, you will know what to do that's what's best for you and Bosco. He is truly lucky to have you in his life.

I've found that what we say and what we do are 2 very different things. My partner and I said if our boy got another blockage (from eating something he shouldn't) we would put to sleep as he was not a healthy dog and was really struggling......he got a blockage and we operated. Sadly we lost him the following day but just goes to prove the heart and the heart don't always agree.

Call Newtown Vet Clinic's Dr Jack Ayerbe (Geelong)and see if they are still using EBC 46. I saw many dogs and cats treated with this, on inoperable tumors due to their location. The drug is injected around the tumors, killing the cancer cells. Its especially useful on lower leg or face tumors.

Worth a phone call.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions guys. It has been really helpful and I am grateful for the support.

I think I am going to try to take it a day at a time for the moment, and hope and pray that after this next surgery he comes home with the all clear, and as others have said, being only a grade one, I am hopeful that his chances are good.

It's just hard not to worry about the what if's.

Thanks again :)

sas, I'm sorry to hear about your boy :(

Edited by lokelani

My older Schnauzer (now at the bridge) had quite a few surgeries over the years due to Mast Cell cancer. With one on his thigh, he had some chemo to shrink the tumour prior to surgery. All his surgeries were very successful with clear margins. He did not appear to suffer at all and was bright and bouncy the whole time. He lived until the age of 13 when other health issues caught up with him. I would certainly do it all again. I would think a Grade 1 with clear margins would have a very good prognosis. Best wishes for your dog :)

Hey Jodie,

Nothing new on Bozzy at the moment, he goes in for the next surgery on Friday this week to take a bigger area from his chest and to do the needle biopsies on the other sites.

I should hopefully have those results back before the end of next week, and I will be keeping everything crossed that it all comes back clear.

Otherwise, he is good, happy and full of energy. He has not been sick at all so that is always a relief :)

Dropped Bozzy off at the vets this morning for the next round of surgery - hopefully the last one he will need.

Keeping everything crossed that he comes back with all clear results.