Kids Creche At Shows To Help Boost Entry Numbers

just1more

I watched over a child for a while last weekend - and we both survived :laugh:

Think I'm going to have to add some textas and a colouring book to the grooming box though - kids can only do so much with a catalogue and a couple of pens. ;)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've trained mine. He knows he has to stay on his chair, under our gazebo while I am in the ring. But we always generally sit with people who can keep an eye on him. But now he is almost 7 he prefers to stay home with his father, so that suits me!!

I show by myself most of the time. When I do bring my child and I'm on my own, she does as she's told, she sits and stays where she's told to and we don't have any issues with her wandering off, touching other people's property or dogs.

Bring a cot, play pen, table and chairs to sit at and plenty to entertain them and you should be right. Get yourself some mesh sides to your gazebo and set your kids up with their own area. It's not hard to teach them that they stay in there, unless you are going somewhere with them.

It's seriously not that hard people ...

I show by myself most of the time. When I do bring my child and I'm on my own, she does as she's told, she sits and stays where she's told to and we don't have any issues with her wandering off, touching other people's property or dogs.

Bring a cot, play pen, table and chairs to sit at and plenty to entertain them and you should be right. Get yourself some mesh sides to your gazebo and set your kids up with their own area. It's not hard to teach them that they stay in there, unless you are going somewhere with them.

:thumbsup:

I have had my 5 children at shows and never had a problem.

Like other children in those days they did as they were told and never caused a problem.

I can/could take my grand/great grand children now and still never have a problem.

It's not no. But children are reknowned for being unpredictable. The best behaved kids can sometimes become distracted momentarily and that's all it takes for something bad to happen. It's not a bad thing for parents, especially of very young children to be concened about what could happen during those few minutes they are busy in the ring.

We had one wander off once at a show, and that frantic couple of minutes running around searching and thinking all of the worst things is one of the worst feelings imaginable. He had been invited off to play with a group of older kids, and we found them on the side of the roadway running past the showground telling him how to play chicken as cars came past... :mad

Kids can disappear in seconds. You also have to take into account that not all people at dog shows are dog show people, they are public events and anyone may wander in and out, friendly or not so friendly... There is nothing by law stopping convicted sex offenders etc being in general public places. Call me paranoid, but have been there, seen that. Bad apples can crop up anywhere.

So yes, it may not take a degree in childcare to get your kids to behave under normal circumstances at a show while you are busy for a few minutes. But history tells us that anything and everything can possibly happen, and I for one am all for kids being under direct supervision at all times when in public places.

Sharing with other trusted dog show mates and/or parents is a great start.

I think its a good idea BUT why impose another job on show Committees to organise it??

Why not have PARENTS organise a bit of collective child minding amongst themselves??

One extra gazebo for the kids, a bit of organising for activities and some volunteers from different groups and voila - you have it.

It could be sorted out in the show threads here. Only rule I'd have is that if you're not part of the child minding taskforce, your kids don't get to participate.

I like this idea HW :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I have had my 5 children at shows and never had a problem.

Like other children in those days they did as they were told and never caused a problem.

I can/could take my grand/great grand children now and still never have a problem.

I know it can be done with some kids but not all kids CAN be "trained" to be contained/content. My 6 year old probably wouldn't be a problem but my 4 year old is, well...only 4! Plus on top of that he has some other issues that we are sorting out at the moment so to say it's not that hard or having your own children there and never had a problem is all well in good for some but for some off us we have little people that need a little extra help just to do "what is expected" and it's not their fault OR their parents :( You should feel very blessed and proud to have brought up the kids that you have obviously done so well with :) Also, some don't have the support system around them that others have too so have little choice than to rely on "outsiders" to help. Family and friends are great if they are like that but then you either have ones that live no where near you, work most weekends, have families of their own which they only get the weekend to spend quality time with, then there's the great ones that love to guilt trip you simply for asking for help :banghead: etc etc. If the support system was the same as the way it was in my grandmothers day we wouldn't need these things to help as it would be give even without asking (miss my grandma sooooo much :angel: ) I give my family my 100%. My dogs are my only outside thing I do so it would be nice sometimes to not have to worry about a million things that I do as a mum for half an hour at a show to do "my thing"...hope that makes sense :grimace:

unfortuntaley in many States beaurocracy will get in the way. Here in Victoria, if you have provide child minding for something like 5 or more children under the age of 6 years old then you need to be a registered child care provider - with all the red tape that involves. Over the age of 6 then it doesn't seem to matter how may kids are being minded. Most States and Territories also have the equivalent of Working With Children Checks that would need to be considered.

The issues of litigation, duty of care etc arise as now more frequently at shows if someone falls over a concrete kerb they go the Club for the insurance.....

Sporting clubs have come up with some innovative ways to provide short term child minding whilst parents play sport without going into the need to be a registered child care provider.

The question to ask - what is the need for the short term care, how many people would use it and the average lenght of time eg. 30 minutes whilst your breed is in the ring.