An Animal Welfare Petition For Compulsory De-sexing Of Cats And Dogs F

Dobe123

Hi,

I found this link on Facebook on the weekend about an Online Petition for Compulsory De-sexing of Cats and Dogs in Australia except us Registered Breeders. Sounds like a step in a positive direction. As a Registered Breeder and animal lover, I am all for it! I am sure fellow reputable Registered Breeders would also agree that it is a step in the right direction for helping reduce the number of cats and dogs who end up in animal shelters and being put down each year. Would help in the war against backyard breeders also.

I found the link via Facebook here: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/compulsory-de-sexing-of-cats-and-dogs-for-non-registere.html

Also found an interesting discussion group talking about it on Facebook with people expressing their opinions who are for and against it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/249666891798583/

:thumbsup:

What about people who show but don't breed, people who want to let their dogs fully mature before desexing, working dog breeders, breeders of breeds not recognised by the ANKC such as koolies etc etc etc?

Ah yes,.... but what IS a "Registered Breeder". That person could be registered to breed 'DD's for Pet Shops.

Exactly, Liz. The petition says 'non registered backyard breeders' so if I decide to become a backyard breeder but I'm registered with Council does that mean it's OK?

And what about all the show exhibitors who dont breed? My show dogs were all entire for the length of their show careers. Number of litters? Zero.

eta Snap, Janba :thumbsup:

No I wont be signing the petition. I'm sick of all of this LET'S BRING IN MORE LEGISLATION crap.

Edited by raz

I had registered purebreds, undesexed, for quite a few years before becoming a registered breeder. Many people who show dogs aren't necessarily breeders. They will be members of their State body, but not holding a prefix.

Ah yes,.... but what IS a "Registered Breeder". That person could be registered to breed 'DD's for Pet Shops.

And they are the ones that should be looked at.

I have never bred pups or kittens & as a responsible pet owner that does get her pets desexed I don't want to be told when I have to have it done. I want my dogs to mature before getting them done. IMO I don't think you are going to stop people that just don't care & won't get their animals desexed.

And they are the ones that should be looked at.

I have never bred pups or kittens & as a responsible pet owner that does get her pets desexed I don't want to be told when I have to have it done. I want my dogs to mature before getting them done. IMO I don't think you are going to stop people that just don't care & won't get their animals desexed.

Yes, many people have very reasonable reasons for wanting to keep their dogs entires despite not being breeders.

And do they really need a reason if they are being responsible? IMO No, not really. I myself, who today is a ANKC Registered Breeder once owned a Farm breed Border Collie/Heeler X bitch that I never desexed. She lived to 12 years of age, she never had puppies. Why didn't I desex her? No reason really, just never did. My male GSD was desexed so I didn't envisage any unwanted puppies. I was responsible for her welfare and didn't falter in my duty to her or to "societies demand not to produce any unecessary litters".

Edited by LizT

I won't touch it with a barge pole. Whilst I don't like BYBer's, it's not against the law to breed with your dog and nor should it be. It will become simply another useless piece of legislation.

Until government can get people to obey the leash laws, chip their dogs and pick up their shit, then anything else that people propose is just a waist of time and tightens the screws on the responsible

Edited by Pav Lova

I think it should be a choice the owner makes. I'm not a breeder, I'm not sure I ever will be, but I'm intending to get into showing compulsory spaying would certainly not be appreciated by me. Spaying/neutering can affect more than just the dogs' ability to breed, in Salukis they sometimes get very hairy! I don't think it should be forced on people, there must be better ways of preventing backyard breeders.

It's not irresponsible breeding that causes the numbers of animals in pounds... it's irresponsible ownership...

I'm of the opinion that there is room in this world for all types of dogs, pure or crossbred. I've owned pure dogs and crosses - never loved any of them less because of their lineage - and I would like the right to choose when or if I will desex them thank you.

Why do we have to legislate to the lowest denominator? It is beyond sad...

T.

I am all for desexing pets but I refuse to support compulsory desexing - this is not the answer and will not fix the problem.

Responsible owners are not the problem - it's the irresponsible owners who will not be affected by it anyway - byb and puppy farmers!

It's not irresponsible breeding that causes the numbers of animals in pounds... it's irresponsible ownership...

I'm of the opinion that there is room in this world for all types of dogs, pure or crossbred. I've owned pure dogs and crosses - never loved any of them less because of their lineage - and I would like the right to choose when or if I will desex them thank you.

Why do we have to legislate to the lowest denominator? It is beyond sad...

T.

Totally agree.

Bad owners will be around no matter where they get their pups from.

Yes to more desexing. No to more laws that aren't enforced.

While people can still source breeding stock courtesy of council impounds, FTGH and pet shops there's a whole lot of steps between where we are now and bringing in a compulsory desex law.

Then there's the stray cats.

No owner, nobody to take responsibility. They end up squished, feral or impounded, their babies distributed or released undesexed to keep the cycle going. :(

I think we need a petition to ban these badly written and thoughtless petitions that are currently spamming the web

yeahhhh along with the keyboard "rescue" crusaders that spam people

:rofl: oooh you must mean the ones who call me a dog killer for not supporting their cause.

I think we need a petition to ban these badly written and thoughtless petitions that are currently spamming the web

yeahhhh along with the keyboard "rescue" crusaders that spam people

:rofl: oooh you must mean the ones who call me a dog killer for not supporting their cause.

That sounds about right.

I think that this is a fantastic idea and absolutely crucial in ending cruel breeding practices, and the excess dog population that we have in this country. I have believed in compulsory desexing for quite a while now. I believe, as do many others, that it is the only way to begin to control what happens to puppies once they leave responsible people's hands. If they HAVE to be desexed, then thier is no possible way for them to end up in puppy farms, or having needless litters by people who quite frankly have no business breeding them.

However, I do think that the term 'Registered' needs to be defined better. And I believe that thier should be a register set up for those who wish to breed working dogs, etc. However, we need to stop people having litters 'just because', to 'mature the bitch', to make money, or simply because they are to irresponsible to keep thier entire dogs seperated when there are bitches in season, or contained in thier own yard.

'Registered' breeder should never be the term given to those simply registered with thier local council, that is simply a 'registered' business.

Now, I know there are responsible puppy owners out there, and for the most part people who are in this forum I would hope would fit this category, who can keep entire dogs, and never have problems, and never breed, but unfortunately to protect dogs on a whole against 'stupid' you need mandatory and wideranging rules. Perhaps, as part of the system, people could apply for exceptions, so that if you are a show person you can keep entire dogs, etc.

Edited by dogsaremyworld