Itchy Dog-allergies

Wondering if someone can please help me. Had to take my 3yo Maltese Shih Tzu to the vet yday as all week I have noticed he was shaking his head (soo much) and biting at his feet and itching his neck. Originally I thought it could have been ear infection, vet said its allergies and his whole body is pinkish (unlike normal) and his ears are very pink too. He had to have a needle to ease the itchiness and is on tablets.

So... I have no idea what is making him have allergies. I havne't changed anything other than his flea treatment to 'Advantix' - which I gave him on Monday), but I am unsure.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to work it out? I have rinsed all his blankets and bedding and boiling water (no detergent) just in case it was the detergent I'm using. Don't know what else to do...

Your suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mummy of Itchy Oscar

Have you got any Wandering Jew in your yard or on your walks?

Not that I am aware of- i just googled it to see a pic and never seen that plant around.

I have also being reading forums on this site and read Calendula Tea is good for soothing itchy skin etc. Does anyone know how I make the tea and how much I use to make it? Assuming i can buy it from health food store?

Edited by maltese11

Guest lavendergirl

Maltese 11 there have been a lot of adverse reactions to Advantix in small breed dogs so I would not rule that out as being the cause. I would wait and see if it settles down and be cautious about using Advantix in future.

I use Advantix as well and I have exactly the same symptoms on my Cavalier.

Edit: not sure if that is what is causing it, he is on a diet at the moment to rule out food allergies first.

Edited by Issy