Draft Code Of Practice For The Sale Of Animals In The Act

Sheridan

From TAMS:

Draft Code of Practice for the Sale of Animals in the ACT (the Sales Code)

The community is invited to provide feedback on the draft Code of Practice for the Sale of Animals in the ACT (other than stock and commercial scale poultry) (the Sales Code). The Sales Code outlines standards for the care and management of animals for sale. The Sales Code will apply to anyone that sells animals, including, but not limited to, sales in pet shops, private backyards, fetes, markets, schools, newspapers, internet sales and car-boot sales.

The Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (AWAC) advises the Government on animal welfare matters and outlines best practice for animal welfare through codes of practice. AWAC has reviewed and recommended the draft Code of Practice for the Sale of Animals in the ACT (other than stock and commercial scale poultry) to the ACT Government.

The purpose of the consultation is to provide stakeholders and the wider community with the opportunity to comment on the draft Sales Code to ensure it is practical and meets community and business expectations. The Justice and Community Safety (JACS) Directorate is providing legal advice on the practical nature and enforceability of the mandatory standards in the Sales Code. Advice from JACS and feedback generated from this consultation will be presented to AWAC prior to the finalisation of the Sales Code.

Workshop consultation sessions will be held to discuss the draft Sales Code at the following times:

• 12 pm – 2 pm on Thursday 19 April 2012 at Ainslie Football Club;

• 6 pm – 8 pm on Thursday 19 April 2012 at Gungahlin Library; and

• 1 pm – 3 pm on Saturday 28 April 2012 at the Southern Cross Club in Woden.

Link to Draft Code.

It is also mentioned in the FAQS in the header link that there is draft breeding code, too. As far as I know, this isn't yet available for comment.

Edited by Sheridan

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this topic as the meetings have now taken place.

I have learned from the draft code there is also a code of practice for dog breeding being revised. There are no dog breeders on the animal welfare committee and I am lead to believe Dogs ACT have had no input into it.

I have learned from the draft code there is also a code of practice for dog breeding being revised. There are no dog breeders on the animal welfare committee and I am lead to believe Dogs ACT have had no input into it.

Reps from ACT Dogs have had early discussions with the Govt member taking the lead on the breeding code and will be consulted.

Edited by Diva