Quarantine - Seems Not To Be Important Anymore

Think of a breeder (greyhounds spring to mind as they are so frequently travelling - but any breeder can have dogs travelling about) having a dog come home from a trip, or a new dog arrive, and it carries in something like parvo or coronavirus on it's feet or fur, from a pound rescue sharing it's transport. The heartbreak and cost of these infections walking into a breeding kennel cannot be estimated, whole litters of pups gone etc. People involved in rescue need to be aware of the wider community that can be seriously affected by neglecting quarantine and potentially spreading disease.

Guest muttrus

doing the math Ive had a dog contract parvo and between time and other factors the only common thread was the transport container we HIRED we lost seven pups and what resulted was not only lives lost but the costs of throwing everything dog related away I was so worried I wasn"t going to run the risk I hadn"t cleaned it right so I threw everything away beds kennels toys blankets everything we then F10 the whole yard and never took another dog for over 4 months .The sadess part for me was NOT being able to bury the dead.

I still won"t take young pups as it affected me so bad emotionally and mentally. We now own our own crates I won"t fly smaller or younger dogs by hire crate

BUT

Last week I was talking with a couple who had a cute little dashie puppy.The said they bought it from a breeder in WA between the cost of the puppy they then paid over $400 to buy a crate and fly it to sydney I think all up they paid over $1300 I couldn"t imagine they would have been impressed had their puppy fallen ill because of someone doing what they know is risky.

I BELIEVE THERE IS A BIG PICTURE and the affects on others including complete strangers can be huge

I transport Mildura to Melb unquarantined. They have all been parvac so the main issue is kennel cough/cat flu

Unfortunately there is no other option, i dont see the issue moving them unquarantined if everyone knows thats the deal. It is up to the groups to quarantine once in Melbourne

I transport Mildura to Melb unquarantined. They have all been parvac so the main issue is kennel cough/cat flu

Unfortunately there is no other option, i dont see the issue moving them unquarantined if everyone knows thats the deal. It is up to the groups to quarantine once in Melbourne

are you a transport company operator or do it privately within rescue?

I would be pissed as hell if I had just purchased a puppy from a breeder that was on transport next

to a dog that had only had parvac injection and not quarantined.

If it is private transport that is all up to the groups, but cross contaminating from different pounds

is right thing to do either IMO

There are enough facilities in Sydney that offer quarantine periods for pound dogs.

I hate boarding kennels, but for a quarantine stay before transport I see it as almost essential

Edited by Bartok

You're taking the piss right?

Vaccination is not a silver bullet. Just because a dog is vaccinated does not mean it can not contract the virus, it is simply more unlikely, and it certainly can still carry the virus on its body.

Are you transporting the one animal at a time? Are you thoroughly cleaning your car and equipment used with a disinfectant known to kill Parvo?

We just do pound dogs privately. Yes i know its not a silver bullet but its better than nothing. Everyone we move for knows its pound dogs and unquarantined. All I am saying is that if its open and everyone knows then why not move them to where they can be looked after? The other option is PTS. Quarantine is then up to the groups so i cant say what happens there.

The reason I said kennel cough is the main issue is because some have it, never had one come down

with parvo after we moved them.

I agree they should be quarantined but I dont think it matters if it is before or after transport.