Parvo

Can someone who knows how to deal with a high risk of parvo please PM me? I wasn't sure where to post this and while I will speak to a vet as well I know there are a lot of people here who have dealt with this a fair bit.

TIA.

If an animal is at high probable risk go having parvovirus, it needs to be quarantined and not come into contact with any other animals.

It will also need to see a vet ASAP... Let the vet know you are coming so you can use an alternative entrance so as not to put any other animals at risk...

Keep an eye on them for symptoms.. Lethargy, runny, bloody poo...

Thanks for the replies, I have had someone PM me, thank you :)

Two dogs just a couple of doors down from me have died from parvo in the last few days.

If they died it quite possible they were not vaccinated against it.

If the dogs in question have been vaccinated they would be in the very low risk factor.

Who knows under what situations they caught it. If the other dog was not vaccinated properly and they were not in good health then they could have caught it, you never know the owners could have opted PTS after they heard the costs too and not let that info slip (I've seen that happen a few times)

Dont let random people into your house and disinfect all shoes if you're really worried with a virkon footbath before they enter the house.

Edited by Nekhbet

One of the dogs was vaccinated for it and still died :(

Yes it may have been vaccinated and I am so sorry the dog died but the breeder may have vaccinated the pup at to early an age.

If done at 6 weeks it may not have been effective.

It is now known the that vaccinations before eight weeks does not always work. :)

I've also found that vets in Tasmania are very quick to diagnose Parvo when it is in fact Corona so be aware of that too Shek, especially in the dog that was vaccinated but still succumbed.

Sadly, your suburb is one where there are lots of contagious illnesses for dogs and cats, and you probably don't even hear of half of the illnesses or fatalities. As you know, I lived around the corner for many years and despite the threat of illness to my dogs, thankfully, none ever got ill so I'd be careful but not necessarily anal (if you know what I mean). Your guys are vaccinated and healthy and through good diet and management should have pretty good immune systems.