Dog Marking Territory Inside After Buying Cat Help!

tuppy

We purchased 2 year old entire ex show/stud dog in January. We were training him to become indoor house dog and it was working well.

Then this month decided to buy 3 y o desexed female indoor cat for company for him. Cat was supposed to be used to dogs, but has shown no liking for this dog and is generally timid in her new situation. Dog is a lovely cocker spaniel, friendly to everyone and thing, but very full-on whenever he sees cat, wants to be in her face and she responds with a growl or a slap and gets out of his way.

His toilet training has gone out the window since her arrival. He "normally" comes upstairs around 5.30 p.m. after toileting, to sit with us for the evening. Cat is not keen to mix or be social with us whilst he's there.

Last night when I put her to bed about 8 p.m., I left him in living room with family, only to find on my return, he had urinated on the dining table leg, marking - not because he had to go.

Unfortunately, evening ruined. Immediately put to bed downstairs, no cuddles, no biscuit, just a rolled newspaper showing my displeasure.

However, have never had dog toilet issues before, always purchased desexed puppies........

He is going to be desexed next week in any case. BUT......

How can I reverse this pattern as I want both of them to settle as indoor pets. That's why I bought them.

Any help much appreciated......

Yep, I'd expect a pee too. It's not been a normal month for everyone. Even the best most housetrained dogs can have an accident when stressed.

I wouldn't say everything was ruined and that his training is out the window quite yet. You'll get a lot better toilet training advice from others here so my only input would be to stay calm and give them both more time. :)

Please don't get me wrong, didn't hit dog, just rolled newspaper as a warning hitting my hand. Previous owner used this method on all her dogs and no contact at all and it worked. I was told to use same treatment on him and it seems to work - it is just the noise.

I too have had numerous dogs and cats over many years, so know how to treat them well. He knew straight away he'd done the wrong thing, before I reacted a minute later. But he'd displayed his displeasure at her being here.

After a sleepless night, I have remained totally calm and going about today's activities with cat upstairs in her "safety" area and our beautiful boy downstairs whilst I was in the garden. However, he didn't want to join me, he stayed on the couch in the rumpus room and watched with door open for him, keeping close to my husband.

So, thank you for your suggestions and concerns.......Our dear old cat was so used to dogs she was bomb proof, this one obviously has to take her time and I think I shall have to go back to putting him on a lead when upstairs with us, until things smooth over, unless someone has another idea.

So - you have upset the balance .

now YOU need to work at restoring it.

Your dog needs to be successful in his housetraining .

he needs to be given every opportunity to succeed, and needs also to be sure that he is still loved and still number one.

The way a dog's brain works is so very different from a human , which is why 'no biscuit, no cuddles' will NOT be connected with him marking indoors.

All he knows is that you were loud, angry, and that he was not treated as usual... :(

using a rolled up newspaper only makes you seem a person to be wary of ..someone who acts like an aggro dog ... it also suggests that you and your dog are not 'speaking' a common language ...

I suggest you do several short up beat training sessions a day with your boy, giving him lots of chances to do the right thing, and earn your praise :)

While he is upset and confused, have him on leash at all times indoors ..and take him out frequently to pee...

LOTS of praise/bikkies, if he sits inside and hasn't marked ...(yes, I know he is on a leash)

You may get some helpful hints here :

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Edited by persephone

I don't really understand what would motivate anybody to get a cat as company for a dog. If they get along great but personally I think if the only motivation to get a pet is for company for another pet then you are setting yourself up for disappointment, especially two animals that are innately weary of each other.

I think you need to keep them well separated until both are settled. The cat needs to be able to get away from the dog.

I feel for both the dog and the cat... both struggling to find themselves in this household, their lives being changed dramatically.

Unlike dogs, cats that have been previously used to blending with dogs are cats that have befriended those particular dogs. New dogs will be seen as predators and it will take time, patience and careful, sensible ownership required for introduction and safety.

Dogs that are not accustomed to living with cats will quite often show high prey drive or fear when presented with a new cat. I am not at all surprised that the dog is scenting inside your home.

This could take a very long time to settle, if at all. A lot of research on training and animal behaviours and instilling sensible plans is going to be required on your behalf.

And no, your dog did not know what it had done wrong, it only knew you were upset at the time you made threatening gestures, no more no less. This is no way to train. The dog has no clue of what you are requiring of it. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Provide a safe environment for the cat whilst it is so scared, poor thing. This will also keep the dogs' eyes safe from ulcerated scratches.

Cats and dogs can make great friends, but this is usually by chance and after a long time. I have had many cats and dogs living in harmony together, even cuddling up to sleep together... Greyhounds, Rottweilers, GSDs, Dobermanns and so on. A mature cat and a mature dog throw together where they are expected to provide companionship for one another is a recipe for disaster, unlikely to work.

Desexing the dog is unlikely to alter it's urination behaviours.

I wish you success, I really do, but personally I would be returning the cat, putting it down to misguided decision and work on training and enjoying your dog. You have only had the dog a few months. Give it time to settle in.

Maybe in a year or so get another dog or a kitten.

Edited by dyzney

I don't really understand what would motivate anybody to get a cat as company for a dog. If they get along great but personally I think if the only motivation to get a pet is for company for another pet then you are setting yourself up for disappointment, especially two animals that are innately weary of each other.

I think you need to keep them well separated until both are settled. The cat needs to be able to get away from the dog.

+1 :D

Again, thank you for your opinions. Firstly we were told both pets were used to living with dogs/cats indoors and it would work and on inspection, both seemed quite relaxed about it. We have always had cats and dogs living together in harmony indoors, however, this is the first time we have purchased mature animals and realised it would take time for them to enjoy each other's company.

The cat is very well protected from our boy, has her own room if she wants to be there, as well as access to our living areas if she wants, with elevated beds in both areas which she uses. She is enjoying her new life, purring, eating well and enjoying lots of pats and cuddles, she is just not as outgoing as our previous cats and yes, no doubt time will encourage her in that area. Our dog is not permitted in her room, however as mentioned, other rooms have been available to both.

Our dog however, will now only be allowed upstairs on lead in those rooms or under supervision on his rugs etc., where he sits and gets his cuddles and pats, after his day downstairs with us both and his daily walks.

I'm sure it can work, having lived with all creatures great and small all my long life, I was interested to hear from others about proven methods of stopping indoor "marking", as that was something new to us. Time and patience will get us all there.....

Thank you for your time.

Again, thank you for your opinions. Firstly we were told both pets were used to living with dogs/cats indoors and it would work and on inspection, both seemed quite relaxed about it. We have always had cats and dogs living together in harmony indoors, however, this is the first time we have purchased mature animals and realised it would take time for them to enjoy each other's company.

The cat is very well protected from our boy, has her own room if she wants to be there, as well as access to our living areas if she wants, with elevated beds in both areas which she uses. She is enjoying her new life, purring, eating well and enjoying lots of pats and cuddles, she is just not as outgoing as our previous cats and yes, no doubt time will encourage her in that area. Our dog is not permitted in her room, however as mentioned, other rooms have been available to both.

Our dog however, will now only be allowed upstairs on lead in those rooms or under supervision on his rugs etc., where he sits and gets his cuddles and pats, after his day downstairs with us both and his daily walks.

I'm sure it can work, having lived with all creatures great and small all my long life, I was interested to hear from others about proven methods of stopping indoor "marking", as that was something new to us. Time and patience will get us all there.....

Thank you for your time.

Don't have the dog inside unless you are actively watching him. If he sniffs something and takes the side step ready to lift his leg, give a short verbal correction. If that is ignored, next time give the verbal correction in a deeper voice and stamp on the floor (if it is timber) or give him a shove on the rump to push him off his 3-legged balance. This should jolt the dog into remembering his manners.

The key to this working is to not let the dog out of your sight or reach for a second while it is inside. You have to catch him in the act of moving into the leg lifting position.. It will take a few days of constant work. If you get slack and miss it, the habit becomes more ingrained and it will take longer to fix.

Do not ever punish your dog, afterwards is too late. The object is to correct the dog while in the act. The correction should not be too harsh, so that depends on your dog. If it is a nervy dog, you don't want to terrify it.

The dog is probably a bit put out that there is a new animal in the house, and is marking as a way to establish territory. The behaviour may or may not decrease after desexing, but the urine will be a whole lot less smelly. Which will be less ruinous to your evening.

If your evening is ruined from now on it is because you were not watching the dog and didn't correct it early enough. If that happens, punish yourself with a rolled up newspaper.

Use an enzyme detergent like Biozet, or use white vinegar to clean up your furniture, as these products remove urine odour so the dog is less likely to mark there again.

Guest lavendergirl

Thank you for your time.

Don't have the dog inside unless you are actively watching him. If he sniffs something and takes the side step ready to lift his leg, give a short verbal correction. If that is ignored, next time give the verbal correction in a deeper voice and stamp on the floor (if it is timber) or give him a shove on the rump to push him off his 3-legged balance. This should jolt the dog into remembering his manners.

The key to this working is to not let the dog out of your sight or reach for a second while it is inside. You have to catch him in the act of moving into the leg lifting position.. It will take a few days of constant work. If you get slack and miss it, the habit becomes more ingrained and it will take longer to fix.

Do not ever punish your dog, afterwards is too late. The object is to correct the dog while in the act. The correction should not be too harsh, so that depends on your dog. If it is a nervy dog, you don't want to terrify it.

The dog is probably a bit put out that there is a new animal in the house, and is marking as a way to establish territory. The behaviour may or may not decrease after desexing, but the urine will be a whole lot less smelly. Which will be less ruinous to your evening.

If your evening is ruined from now on it is because you were not watching the dog and didn't correct it early enough. If that happens, punish yourself with a rolled up newspaper.

Use an enzyme detergent like Biozet, or use white vinegar to clean up your furniture, as these products remove urine odour so the dog is less likely to mark there again.

:rofl: sorry can't help but laugh. I have a chronic inside widdler and I can never seem to "catch him in the act" as he really picks his moments when I am not in the room- I don't let it ruin my day though there are bigger things to worry about. Sounds like this dog has been "disciplined" with the rolled up newspaper at some stage otherwise it would not be so effective.