Dog Magazine

shihtzufan

I gave a $25 donation to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah and as part of that you get their bi monthly magazine. Not local of course but one of the best I have read.

Depends what you want to read about though.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I like Dog's Life Magazine. It comes out every two months. I love receiving mine in the mail.

I like Dog's Life Magazine. It comes out every two months. I love receiving mine in the mail.

I don't like all the pro-oodle articles that seem to appear in each edition, I even asked them why they insist on promoting these dogs so regularly on their facebook page, and just got fobbed off :mad

Refused to renew my subscription after that :(

If you are into dog sports, especially Agility, then the monthly Clean Run Magazine is excellent & full of information, not just on agility, but dog health as well. I subscribe to it & receive it digitally for $29 a year, for 12 issues. :thumbsup:

I don't like all the pro-oodle articles that seem to appear in each edition, I even asked them why they insist on promoting these dogs so regularly on their facebook page, and just got fobbed off :mad

I second this. I looked forward to buying it every two months and then I read an article about choosing a breed or something and it had the "pros" of choosing purposely bred oodles. I was disgusted and gutted that a magazine with potential such as this one (this is the only dog mag sold in my home town) would sink so low as to promote that, especially when they are, at the back end of the mag, promoting real breeds.

The editors always seemed to be people who loved their purebred or rescued dogs and I've voted with my money, now buying Dog News. Less articles but no oodles other than real poodles (who are gorgeous as they are!)

I second this. I looked forward to buying it every two months and then I read an article about choosing a breed or something and it had the "pros" of choosing purposely bred oodles. I was disgusted and gutted that a magazine with potential such as this one (this is the only dog mag sold in my home town) would sink so low as to promote that, especially when they are, at the back end of the mag, promoting real breeds.

The editors always seemed to be people who loved their purebred or rescued dogs and I've voted with my money, now buying Dog News. Less articles but no oodles other than real poodles (who are gorgeous as they are!)

The end of the straw for me was when they had an article about hypoallergenic dogs, full 2 page spread and they have ONE short paragraph to mention a few non shedding breeds, the rest was on oodles, then the following edition had another pro oodle article, after leaving two messages on their fb page just to get the brush off I refused to renew my subscription, as much as I enjoyed reading it I'll never buy it again

I prefer books too, actually - I just bought 'In Defence of Dogs' and by John Bradshaw and so far am absolutely loving it. I'm forcing myself to read it slowly cause I never lash out on hard backs but I had to for this one :laugh: Other books I'd recommend are 'Don't Shoot the Dog' and 'The Other End of the Leash'. I also read lots of dog blogs.. I guess that's really what fills the magazine void.

I get the Dogs Vic magazine though, as a result of being a member (I can't remember what it's called..) but it doesn't really hold my attention. I like oogling the pictures but I'm now a showie or breeder and much of it doesn't mean much to me :) If you're into learning more about those worlds it might be more interesting though? I'm sure each state's kennel club has a magazine.

I used to read Dogs Life, but went off it for similar reasons. I'd LOVE it if they were to do an article on allergy friendly BREEDS, rather just mention them briefly in pro-oodle articles (I don't mind the idea of 'oodles' if the breeders are as responsible as I'd expect in a purebred breeder, but I don't imagine this happens often).

I've tried a few UK magazines, but none have really stood out at me and they are very expensive over here. I might give Dog News Australia a try. :)