What Paperwork Should You Receive When You Buy A Dog?

angelnkids

hi everyone we bought our german shepherd around 3 weeks, and shes great and we love her, BUT theres a bit of confusion about what paperwork we should be receiving.

The breeder we bought from didnt actually breed the dog, she works with another lady who bred the dog, and gave to her as a present. We asked the lady we bought it from about receiving documents and looking at them and was told the other breeder has it all.

I in the end contacted the other breeder, who eventually sent me the certificate of pedigree, and on the other side there was a transfer of ownership (with the canine associaiton in WA) and a fee. I was a bit confused so i called the breeder and asked her about this, and she told me to ring the canine assocaition, which i did and the fee was $32, but as i read the form properly it said you need the previous owners signature on it, so i rang her again, and she told me i dont need to do it, its only for puppies not older dogs.

Ive enquired about joining a dogclub too, but dont have her vaccanation details, again contacted the breeder, she cant find them??? said if theres a problem the dogclub can speak to her to clarify this.

We previouslt bought another dog ages ago, which we didnt keep, but we rememeber getting a file of documents with the dog.

My partner rung the breeder again today, cos we need her signature to transfer the microchip register details to ours, and she got a bit nasty with him, stating that if we arent happy with the dog we can return her. We never said that, we just want to know what documents we are suppose to receive. I thought as a registered breeder she should know all this, and be willing to help us with it.

Theres no point in ringing the other lady, who we boguht the dog from, ive contacted her before, and she tells us to ring the other breeder cos she has all the info. Its a bit annoying as we paid a lot of money for her

SO i just wanted to ask you what documents we should have received, and does it sound like we are being treated a bit unfairly?

thanks

tracy

Hi,If it was bought as an ANKC registered Dog you should have received the papers, signed on the back by the registered owner. The previous owner should have filled out a microchip transfer of ownership form and you should have been given the pink copy.You should also have a vaccination record, if she misplaced it, she could easily get a duplicate copy from her vet.These three things would be the minimum you should have.

Edited by PAX

Sign the back of the pedigree form yourself, just squiggle a signature.

Not right but they are not going to do this for you & don't care. Send pedigree in for transfer to you.

Take the dog to a vet & get a booster shot & vaccination card for the dog training.

As long as you have had the dog for 4 weeks before you vaccinate there is little risk even if he has been done before. Only a C3 vaccine though, for now.

Phone the microchip people & explain the problem. I think if they send out a transfer form & if they don't hear back from the people within 4 weeks they can sort this out for the dog to be in your name. Phone & ask.

You should have got the signed pedigree. A vaccination certificate. A signed microchip transfer form or they could just do this for you but

It is not going to happen. Otherwise phone your canine association & ask if they can help you but I would be sorting it out yourself, they may or may not help & it won't be quick.

hi everyone we bought our german shepherd around 3 weeks, and shes great and we love her, BUT theres a bit of confusion about what paperwork we should be receiving.

The breeder we bought from didnt actually breed the dog, she works with another lady who bred the dog, and gave to her as a present. We asked the lady we bought it from about receiving documents and looking at them and was told the other breeder has it all.

I in the end contacted the other breeder, who eventually sent me the certificate of pedigree, and on the other side there was a transfer of ownership (with the canine associaiton in WA) and a fee. I was a bit confused so i called the breeder and asked her about this, and she told me to ring the canine assocaition, which i did and the fee was $32, but as i read the form properly it said you need the previous owners signature on it, so i rang her again, and she told me i dont need to do it, its only for puppies not older dogs.

Ive enquired about joining a dogclub too, but dont have her vaccanation details, again contacted the breeder, she cant find them??? said if theres a problem the dogclub can speak to her to clarify this.

We previouslt bought another dog ages ago, which we didnt keep, but we rememeber getting a file of documents with the dog.

My partner rung the breeder again today, cos we need her signature to transfer the microchip register details to ours, and she got a bit nasty with him, stating that if we arent happy with the dog we can return her. We never said that, we just want to know what documents we are suppose to receive. I thought as a registered breeder she should know all this, and be willing to help us with it.

Theres no point in ringing the other lady, who we boguht the dog from, ive contacted her before, and she tells us to ring the other breeder cos she has all the info. Its a bit annoying as we paid a lot of money for her

SO i just wanted to ask you what documents we should have received, and does it sound like we are being treated a bit unfairly?

thanks

tracy

Hi Tracy

The first bit in bold is wrong - at least in Victoria, the person in whose name the dog is registered must sign the transfer form. It doesn't matter how old the dog is. I got mine at age 3 and her breeder signed the transfer form, I went it in to Dogs Vic and they sent me a new copy - that's what should happen. However, as she's been quite un-cooperative so far, it looks as though your chances at actually getting this to happen are slim. Unless you physically go to her place and put a pen in her hand ...

Do you know the name of the vet that had vaccinated her, or are you able to trace that from any documentation you have? Eg, when I got my dog, I had a few receipts from the vet, for vaccinations but also her desexing. If you know which vet it is, you could give them a call and see whether they are able to send a vacc certificate, or at least tell you the date. The only other option would be to get her vaccinated again and just start from scratch, which is obviously undesirable.

If I were you and I didn't have anything with a vet name on it, or a way of tracing their contact number, I'd give the breeder one last call. And avoid the middle man, who seems horrible!

Do you have anything that has the microchip number printed on it? If you do, you may be able to log in through the central animal records (or whichever company/org she's microchipped through) and change your detials there. I didn't have to sign anything to be able to do this, though different states and companies operate differently, and I'm in Vic...

It sounds like a complete nightmare and I hope you get it all sorted!

The only other thing is - is it problematic not having her registered in your name through the canine council? I did it just .. because it seemed like the right thing to do. But it doesn't seem necesary if you're not intending to show or breed. It's useful to show ownership, but council registration is probably all that is needed for a pet. Assuming you're not going to show or breed, etc.

Can anyone else shed any light on whether it's particularly important to transfer ownership?

I hope you got a receipt.

yes we did and we are totally happy with the dog she's perfect. just not happy with the after service. we know their address so my other half will go n see her with papers that need signing and ask wat vet she went too for vaccination n ill sort the rest thanks for all ur advice