Getting A White Coat To 'shine'

I've always admired a 'shiny' dog, and have no problem getting my B&T Kelpie to shine. But I can't get a shine to get my white (well, cream) Border Collie cross to have that soft shiny look/feel. :(

Rocky who is 11, desexed, a fatty (he IS on a diet, but is the kind of dog who stays fat LOOKING at food), fed a combo of raw and dry (Holistic select or Nutro), plus fish oil daily (mostly for arthritis) as well as an egg and sardines a couple of times a week.

He gets brushed a couple of times a week, and swims in the creek at the dog park a few times a week as well.

His hair is kind of soft, but VERY woolly and THICK. He has been compared to sheep and even a shag carpet in his time. :o

Unfortunately he has been clipped in the past, could this have effected his coat? Though he has never been really shiny.

Maybe he's coat type is just the sort that is incapable of the 'shiny factor'? Is that possible?

Any ideas?

Pics of the beast!

111.jpg

078.jpg

and a close up

153.jpg

Edited by Chequeredblackdog

Well you can get blue rinses for white animals which make them have a sheen, but I think you're not really looking for a cosmetic solution. As he is an older dog, the quality of his coat is maybe not going to be as good as a younger one.

I don't wash my Dobe much because I find the oils in his coat make him more shiny than when he is clean, I just rub him with a polishing mit unless he is really smelly!

White isn't going to look as shiny as you just don't have the same contrast compared to a dark coat.

Good food - sounds like that is covered

bathing with a good quality shampoo and conditioner (to smooth down the cuticles on the hair shaft) and you could even use a spray on conditioner too.

Also important to remove all the dead coat, as that will remain dull

But I can't get a shine to get my white (well, cream) Border Collie cross to have that soft shiny look/feel. :(

Maybe he's coat type is just the sort that is incapable of the 'shiny factor'? Is that possible?

Any ideas?

Pics of the beast!

111.jpg

078.jpg

Hi Chequeredblackdog. :)

Border Collie cross. :confused:

Surely not.

You need lots of sun to make white coats shine.

post-3970-0-87817600-1333755491_thumb.jpg

There are iridescent shampoos available, but I let my dogs shine naturally.

I think you may have the breeds wrong. :o

Regards

Px

I can see bc in him :) - I can also see lab too! LOL

There are colour enhancing shampoos but looking at the texture of the coat I think he will probably have more of a matt texture - he's a lovely looking boy btw ;)

But I can't get a shine to get my white (well, cream) Border Collie cross to have that soft shiny look/feel. :(

Any ideas?

Pics of the beast!

111.jpg

078.jpg

Hi Chequeredblackdog. :)

Border Collie cross. :confused:

Surely not.

You need lots of sun to make white coats shine.

post-3970-0-87817600-1333755491_thumb.jpg

There are iridescent shampoos available, but I let my dogs shine naturally.

I think you may have the breeds wrong. :o

Regards

Px

My Mother-In-Law has a pure bred Cream border collie and Max looks a lot like this guy, definatly the wavy coat. I know he's pure bred, cause my Hubby and myself brought him from friends and he's registered. I think this guy looks very BC.

Thanks guys, I think he is probably just not a shiney dog. Oh well. I will try some of the ideas.

I do 'furminate'Rocky's coat mostly help help manage the INSANE amount of hair he sheds! I have tried a couple of colour enhancing type shampoos but havent fpund that they work particuarly well.

Oh well. He is rather handsome (might be biased!)

As for being a BCx, we bought he as a BC. Mind you we got him for $20 at a market as a tiny puppy, Before we knew any better.

He clearly has something else in him! We had people say Lab, Goldie, Maremma and a sheep! I think either Goldie or lab. People are welcome to add other ideas :)

My Esky is a similar colour and has a similar unmanagable coat :laugh:

She never looks shiny, but her coat looks a lot lot lot better with frequent grooming.

It'll never be a shiny as a Rott or dobe shining in the sun, but fully groomed the long hair flying around is an amazing sight :)

A white coat can shine, but not necessarily in the same way as a darker coat. In this case it looks like your dog is a red dog with phaomelanin dilution though so different from the white bits you will see on black border collies for instance which is lack of pigment caused by the white spotting gene. The white therefore has yellow tones which may make it harder to make shine. White hair which is caused through total lack of pigment will respond differently to light than your dogs coat (as it acts more like a crystal by reflecting light - which is what makes it white).

That said there are ways to help improve your dogs coat so that it looks healthier and 'glows'. It may take work though. And you may need to wait before you see the full results.

First is diet. Make sure you are feeding a good quality diet that contains a good source of omega 3 essential fatty acids. Fish oil capsules for example. Also things such as eggs and sardines. These are all things which can help grow healthy coat. It will help new coat to grow in a healthy manner. (just re-read and you are already doing this - great! :) )

Next is grooming. Regular grooming can be important if you are looking to improve coat. You need to make sure the coat is well brushed out on a regular basis so that dead hair is removed (great you are doing this!). This allows it to be replaced with the new healthy hair. Make sure you are line brushing all the way to the skin. Good airflow to the skin helps keep it healthy and healthy skin helps a healthy coat. It also allows the natural oils to be distributed more freely in the coat and remove dirt. Dirt can damage hair.

Noting his age and that he is desexed as well as the fact the coat has been clipped (how long ago?) these may all be contributing factors to its condition. As such it may always be a somewhat problem coat and you may never get the shine you are after :( . How are his thyroid levels?

If you have access to a forced air blowdryer this can be good. It can help remove dead hair and really helps 'free up' the coat. Really this is your best friend for this type of coat IMO.

Never brush a dry coat. Brushing a dry coat will cause hair breakage. Always use a grooming spray (I suggest a non silicone based one if you can - e.g. Plush Puppy OMG or similar products ). Also be careful what tools you use. Good quality brushes can also make a difference. Poorer quality ones can catch and break hair as you brush. Broken hair doesn't shine as what you have is a lot of split ends. I like to use brushes that have polished tips. My favourites are the les Pooches slicker brushes and Chris Christiansen pin brushes. I found after changing my brushes to better quality ones my dogs coats improved over time and I also had less matting (as broken hair will also snag and tangle). Note that a furminator breaks the coat - I don't use them for this reason as while they may temporarily thin things out, they can damage the coat and make things worse in the long run.

If you are washing the coat, you can use a shampoo designed for white coats that has a bluing agent. This can help reduce yellow tones in the coat. Also, when you wash the coat, protect the coat (particularly if you use a deep cleansing or whitening shampoo). Washing removes natural oils. I love the Plush Puppy Seabreeze oil. I use a few squirts in a bucket of water then applied with a sponge to the coat as a leave in finishing rinse. It protects the hair and helps replace the oils. I do find it helps with shine.

If you want an extra little bit of shine, try PP Shine and Comb. While it is 'artificial' it sure does look nice, particularly in the sun!

He is a sweet looking dog whatever he is and looks to be a lovely healthy 11 year old enjoying his life :thumbsup:

(disclaimer: after reading this I thought I better mention that I have no association with Plush Puppy! I just like the particular products I have mentioned here and have found them to be effective :o )

Edited by espinay2

Thank you Espinay!

He is due for a course of cartrophen shots, so I'll get the vet to give him a thorough check.

He was clipped a couple of years ago, though he currently has a clipped butt :o (from his anus to his penis) Because he is a VERY lazy dog and can get messy. I'm not to fussed with his butt being shiney! :laugh:

I don't have access to a dryer, but will do some investigating around town.

I will also definitely look at upgrading my grooming equipment! Plush Puppy sounds good! I don't think it's available locally where I am so will do some internet browsing.

If I plan to buy a dryer, can you recommend one? (and/or somewhere to get it from?)

Again, thank you! :D

Edited by Chequeredblackdog

Glad I could help. Depending where you are you may be able to find a do it yourself grooming place that has a dryer.

I use an EzyCoat dryer. Just the single motor hose dryer. It has lasted me many many years of regular use: http://www.ezycoat.com.au/frame_index.html

The les Poochs brushes are definitely a favourite of mine - not cheap! and you will have to order from overseas, but I love them and am a real convert to them above other styles of slicker brush. The blue (wide) Firm Bristle or the purple (wide) Pro Brush F/F (the one I use) are what I would recommend in your case: http://www.lespoochs.com/brushDetail.asp?inpItemCode=BP%25

What about adding something to his diet to help improve his coat, like cold pressed virgin coconut oil, about a tablespoon a day & you could notice a difference within a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks again Espinay, I will definitely have a look at the brushes and dryer. :D

Sheena- The coconut oil sounds interesting. Where would I get cold pressed virgin coconut oil? Is it good for anything else? (arthritis, other health aspects etc) He already gets fish oil daily, would adding more oil be too much for his digestive system?

Thanks again Espinay, I will definitely have a look at the brushes and dryer. :D

Sheena- The coconut oil sounds interesting. Where would I get cold pressed virgin coconut oil? Is it good for anything else? (arthritis, other health aspects etc) He already gets fish oil daily, would adding more oil be too much for his digestive system?

You get it from the health food shops, but make sure you get the pure cold pressed virgin organic coconut oil. Of all the "oils" it has the lowest calorie count & some dogs even lose weight on it because it stimulates the metabolism. It is supposed to be very good for a multitude of problems, including arthritis, digestion & fungal problems. I give it to my two BC's because they are in swimming every day in the family pool & the sun & chlorine play havoc with their coats. I thought at first, it may make their poos a bit sloppy, & was surprised when it made no difference & they continued to have lovely, firm poos & only a couple of times a day. Occasionally I might alternate the CO with 1/2 teaspoon high strength liquid fish oil, but only because I have it there & am trying to use it up, & sometimes they will have a raw egg yolk instead, but it's mainly CO. Oh, & it makes really nice scones & lumberjack cake as well :thumbsup: