Crate Queries

I've got a few questions about crates.

Esky was crated at night as a pup to help with housebreaking.

It wasn't the most successful and as soon as she outgrew the crate we didn't need to use it so stopped.

( We did by a crate the right size for a female adult husky, but Miss Esky turned out to be just a teeny bit bigger :o )

I want to crate train her primarily so she has somewhere safe to sleep with me in the tent when we're out sled racing. Last year set up was less than ideal. Both curled up in my little car :laugh:

According to this guide from K9Pro http://k9pro.com.au/blog/?p=373 Esky will need the XXL size.

Is that correct?

Another question. I've been watching 'Crate Games' and want to start from scratch using these methods.

I didn't hear it covered in the DVD but I'm guessing the dogs don't have free access to their crates throughout the day because otherwise they would be undoing the training. Is that right?

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm confused myself :laugh:

Not sure about the size question.

With Crate Games, they can have free access to the crates throughout the day, that is no problem. If you haven't told them to go in there, they are free to go in or out as they choose, you don't have to give them a release for them to come out. I'm pretty sure that is explained in the DVD somewhere, can't remember where though.

looks at esky.... nah you look nufink like me....

i go leo as an adult in june, his crate training which was in winter extended to out at 9.30ish for a pee....

then bang in the crate...all night, as he's alergic to cold he was fine with it fast, we had the odd night he went off and needed to go out but now hes fine...

sophie has a tea cup bladder and i reccon will never go all night...like my sleep..

Not sure about the size question.

With Crate Games, they can have free access to the crates throughout the day, that is no problem. If you haven't told them to go in there, they are free to go in or out as they choose, you don't have to give them a release for them to come out. I'm pretty sure that is explained in the DVD somewhere, can't remember where though.

Thanks. I didn't watch the whole thing, I need to get through the first few stages so I watched that bit with intent.

I'll have to re watch later.

According to my tape measure Esky is approx 83 ish cm high and approx 110 ish cm long. So the biggest crate would suit right?

Earl has an XXL crate and it fits him fine - he actually runs to his crate at night waiting for his biscuit :laugh:

He is in a metal crate but we also have a soft one which he used till he did a Houdini out of it early one night by breaking the zip :mad We fixed the zip but for my own peace of mind we bought a wire one