She Should Have Known Better

HugUrPup

I'd be more worried that she has bought a Staffy without papers in Victoria!

Give her a copy of the new laws about councils having the power to make an unpapered Bull Breed a restricted dog or seize and destroy it.

Because thousands of people who already own a Stafford (I have a rescue) without purebred papers have been worrying themselves sick over it.

There are a couple of threads in the News section on here if you want to trawl through, or look up DPI new laws regarding restricted breeds in Vic.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just not talk to your daughter about the dog. Simple

Its quite clear she can't learn a lesson so why keep trying? No matter what happens to this dog (re breed legislation) she will probably just go out and buy something else on impulse in the future.

Harassing her will only ruin your relationship, talking about the dog will only encourage her so simply don't talk about it. Tell her your disappointed and move on and talk about other things- if she goes back to talking about the dog repeat that your disappointed and that you want to talk about something else.

I agree; I think you just have to ignore it if you want to maintain a good relationship with her.

I completely understand your frustration though. My boyfriend's sister just went and did something similar, though now has 2 cavoodles. And a family friend bought 2 CKCS from a pet shop because they felt sorry for them, despite having been trawling petrescue for weeks. You just have to let people live their lives and help them where you can. Point them in the right direction, and provide constructive help now, even though the damage is done. :(

Guest donatella

I think the hardest thing as a child is when the parent pulls the disappointment card out.

State you're disappointed and that you're taking no part in assisting if things go wrong as she's old enough now to learn lifes lessons and deal with it herself.

I rely on my mum so much with my dog (when I go away etc) she's been a savior many times, your daughter will most likely feel the same.

I'd be more worried that she has bought a Staffy without papers in Victoria!

Give her a copy of the new laws about councils having the power to make an unpapered Bull Breed a restricted dog or seize and destroy it.

Because thousands of people who already own a Stafford (I have a rescue) without purebred papers have been worrying themselves sick over it.

There are a couple of threads in the News section on here if you want to trawl through, or look up DPI new laws regarding restricted breeds in Vic.

It's ridiculous, and obviously OP's daughter has done a misguided thing. But I don't know how this would help at this point; short of taking the pup back, which I doubt she would do because that's basically an admission that you're wrong.

That's a bit psychoanalytical I know, but it does seem that if someone's going to act agains their better judgment and lie about it to their mother to boot, it's unlikely that they'll suddenly admit they're wrong. :(

Because it is a bloody ridiculous thing to do!

If you own an unpaperedcStafford, the dog is at risk of being declared a restricted breed, seized and destroyed.

I am an owner of one, along with hundreds of others who bought a rescue dog of bull breed, and it's not a pleasant time, wondering if there will be a knock on the door and a council ranger standing there wanting my dog!

And there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

So yes, telling the daughter about these new laws might get her to take the dog back.

Have a look here at the Guide that council officers are given to assess a restricted breed. Most Staffords fit into

it.

http://m.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/standard-for-restricted-breed-dogs

I don't know if she would take him back. He is a very cute dog, which I guess is what prompted her stupid decision in the first place.

I have told her without REAL papers he may get declared dangerous, seized and destroyed. She did look concerned about it. I felt awful scaring her like that, but really, she shouldn't have him in the first place.. she is renting a unit and I doubt she would have gotten the property if she had the dog beforehand.

I'll be having words with the staff at Fish and Feather as soon as their doors re-open.

It's THEM who need the information regarding the risks to these dogs. They need to stop selling them.

Edited by HugUrPup

My sister did the same thing a few weeks ago. It makes me feel like banging my head against a wall. The purebred smooth JRT that was 6 weeks at date of purchase (lord knows at what age it was taken from its mother two states over) appears to be mysteriously morphing into a broken coat Fox terrier JRT cross. $650 with a free dodgy vet check,thanks for coming. sigh.I'll have to look but I think this little guy came with some sort of 'papers' too.

I have no issue with crosses, but I do have an issue with Petshop puppies and the age they take them for shipping & sale as well as the source of the puppies.

Wow, petshops SHIP them? :eek: I am so glad the one I work in only has pups about once a year, and they are from locals who approach us. There is also a 3 day cooling off period, and they are actively encouraged to get their dog desexed, and are educated on the breed beforehand. I just thought all petshops worked like that, I am appauled.

And I agree about what others have said with just ignoring any topics on the dog, you want to keep your relationship. I know the worst feeling was when my parents told me they were disappointed for what I had done, and refused to talk to me about th subject. Much more effective than a lecture.

I had the same thing with one of my daughters.Last year she said she wanted to get a rescue cat ;so i said i would help her find one and we would look at some together.

Meanwhile she was having dramas with her ex partner and work.She went ahead without me to an animal shelter but the lady there was not keen to let her adopt as she was renting.This made her more upset.I told her to wait and we would look together.Then she goes to the pet shop to buy food for her rabbit and there's a kitten on it's own.

So she buys the kitten who turns out to be too young to be away from it's mum and siblings.As the cat grows he has a list of behaviour problems.To her credit she researched and got help for the cat who is now much happier and well behaved.She did learn a lesson and says she will not buy a pet. from a pet shop again.

Another members dog just got seized to be destroyed, he is a sharpei cross, they have declared him a restricted breed. Have a look in this section, there is a thread just above yours. :(

Defintely take it to the shop HUP, they should know better.

I would just not talk to your daughter about the dog. Simple

Its quite clear she can't learn a lesson so why keep trying? No matter what happens to this dog (re breed legislation) she will probably just go out and buy something else on impulse in the future.

Harassing her will only ruin your relationship, talking about the dog will only encourage her so simply don't talk about it. Tell her your disappointed and move on and talk about other things- if she goes back to talking about the dog repeat that your disappointed and that you want to talk about something else.

I have sort of resorted to this method of dealing with my brother in law who bred his dogs for no other reason than to see if they could. I haven't really spoken to him in months because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep my opinions to myself if he brought up the subject of his dogs and the puppies so rather than get into a fight with him about it I've just stayed silent on the issue- if he is more intelligent than I give him credit for he might realise that when we stopped seeing him was at the same time he told us his dogs were having puppies, but if not I'm not going to bring it up, especially when its family and you have to keep the peace.

Another members dog just got seized to be destroyed, he is a sharpei cross, they have declared him a restricted breed. Have a look in this section, there is a thread just above yours. :(

I can't find this thread? Can you link it?

I can't find this thread? Can you link it?

Nevermind, found it!

It's in the BSL section.

Hugurpup, maybe you need to go back and edit the title of the kitten thread. Your daughter has not learned the hard way. She has learned nothing much at all.

I agree with those that are saying to end the discussion immediately if she brings up the topic of her dog. No advice, no help, no sympathy. Not after the kitten thing. You have tried to help her in the past, and now she can deal with her bad decisions all by herself.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the "papers" and they were nothing... just transfer of ownership papers which said the breed is English Staffordshire.

We went to the store to confront them today and when my daughter said to one of them.. remember me.. he said. yes, you bought a staffy CROSS :eek:

You just put your foot in your mouth buddy.

There were protestors outside for Oscars Law and police everywhere so maybe he was just flustered :roll:

Edited by HugUrPup

I saw the "papers" and they were nothing... just transfer of ownership papers which said the breed is English Staffordshire.

We went to the store to confront them today and when my daughter said to one of them.. remember me.. he said. yes, you bought a staffy CROSS :eek:

You just put your foot in your mouth buddy.

There were protestors outside for Oscars Law and police everywhere so maybe he was just flustered :roll:

Is she still keeping the pup?

Did you tell them about the new legislation?

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

If you can, try to get contact details of the breeder in case the council ever pull your daughter up about the dog. This is the only way the person I knew got off having her dog declared a restricted breed. The dog I know of was a cross of 2 different purebreeds. Then, if the worse happens, DNA proving parentage might help. Just a suggestion.....