Taronga Zoo - 3 April 2012

tdierikx

Everyone loves Zoo photos, yes?

I think I got a few pretty nice ones yesterday with the new Canon 60D and Tamron 18-270mm lens.

The male lion was really close to the glass (yes, shot these through glass!) - about 4-6 feet away - excellent for getting some really nice photos...

03-04-2012-60D-zoo369.jpg

03-04-2012-60D-zoo422.jpg

03-04-2012-60D-zoo416.jpg

The 3 tiger cubs have grown heaps since I was there in November - shot through glass again, but they were further away than the lion. I'm not 100% happy with these, but I'm sure some post processing could fix the glare effect from the glass...

03-04-2012-60D-zoo324.jpg

Meerkats... gotta love those cheeky little munchkins - they so like to pose for the camera!

03-04-2012-60D-zoo280.jpg

AS for gorillas... nothing cuter than a tiny baby one, is there?

03-04-2012-60D-zoo495.jpg

Chimp toddlers are cute too...

03-04-2012-60D-zoo236.jpg

Giraffes pulling faces is way funny!

03-04-2012-60D-zoo204.jpg

03-04-2012-60D-zoo205.jpg

Otters are cool to watch too... not so easy to photograph through glass though...

03-04-2012-60D-zoo775.jpg

If you want to see more pics... reptiles, birds, etc... and more of the above animals - feel free to check them out on my Photobucket... I only put up 55 of the 900-odd photos I took... *grin*

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/tdierikx/Zoo%203%20April%202012%20-%2060D/?start=all

T.

I nearly wet myself when I saw some of the lion photos on my 23" screen... I am sooo loving this new camera/lens!

There are some pretty nice reptile shots on the Photobucket album too - most of them through glass and in icky lighting... and I didn't use a flash or tripod...

T.

I got really lucky with the male lion and the gorillas this time at the Zoo - got heaps of nice photos of both.

The female lion was way up in the back corner of the enclosure under a bush - obviously well over it all... lol! And the male gorilla was camera shy too... *sigh*

My legs don't like me today though... it's a lot of walking... but worth every minute when you score cool shots!

T.

Guest Tess32

It's years of stuff remember, I've been doing it since 2006 :) If you have any questions about zoo photography though I am happy to answer.

Have you tried taking photos at Taronga Zoo in Sydney Tess32? The most annoying thing for me was when the animals were behind caging wire - trying to focus just right to get past the wire was a complete pain... grrr!

I'm pretty chuffed at how this latest lot of zoo photos turned out - all were handheld in Landscape mode on the camera (I'm not brave enough to go manual), and at pretty full zoom on the 18-270mm lens - and most of the reptile ones were also done in lower light without using the flash. The penguin ones were the hardest to get as they are so fast, and you are in a darkened enclosed area shooting through glass AND water. I think I had managed to work out the panning focus a bit better by the time I got to them... *grin*

Yesterday I was taking photos of some of our rescue pups racing around like wind up toys on speed - and I think I'm getting better with the panning focus thing... you get lots of practice photographing puppies... lol!

T.

These are fantastic! Especially love the big toothy lion and the chimp just hang'n with his buddy. :laugh: I can see why you would be wrapped with these shots, awesome work!!