I Came Over This Video

nelsona

Hey Nelsona I have come across the same video I don't no much about Cesar Millan but I have seen him with his large pack and I do have admiration for him.. He doesn' t kick the dogs with malice or anger not that I would train this way and for what I have seen he does this with dogs that are aggressive .. I guess you either love his training method or hate it .. PS I didn't know there was a thread on him already . Please don't felt put off by your first reply to this thread we are not all like this :-)

Nelsona you will find this method of immediately reacting to a dogs misbehaviour is ages old and whether or not there is a place for it in todays more enlightened society is always up for debate regardless of whether or not it has been debated before. I doubt very much that there is much force in the 'kick' but I'm sure the intention of "hey, behave or else" is very clear to the dog. It is quick and effective and probably no worse than the age old (and also outmoded) check with the chain, I'm sure there are many other kinder ways to repremand a dog instantly, but timing is of the utmost and the 'kick' is very reactive and instantly available.

ETA I use a rake and then a large pin brush on my GSD. :) ...but there has been a thread on that already too. :grimace:

Edited by LizT

There's a world of difference between a kick and a tap. A kick has force behind it and is intended to hurt, a tap is intended to startle and and can be very effective. Tap with your foot rather than your hand (or whatever else) and the dog doesn't see it coming.

I'm pretty certain that Cesar Milan doesn't go around booting dogs for fun....