What To Do With Dogs?

cleo

Please no flaming. We are under enough stress.

7 years ago, my mom rescued a dog from the pound. The vet put her age to be around 7-8yo, so she would now be 14-15yo. A few months later, mom adopted another dog from a breeder. If my memory serves me correctly, she was 2yo then so would be 9yo now.

Mom was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer last year. She had surgery and chemo was was in remission for 8 months. Her cancer has returned and is more aggressive than before. She is now unable to care for the dogs. Her partner is not able to do so either as he has to care for her as well as work. I am not able to take the dogs in as I live overseas. Mom is unsure what to do about them. She does not want to hand them over to the pound because she knows they will be PTS. She is worried about giving them away just to anybody in case they are abused. I am after thoughts on what best to do for the dogs. Help?

Please no flaming. We are under enough stress.

7 years ago, my mom rescued a dog from the pound. The vet put her age to be around 7-8yo, so she would now be 14-15yo. A few months later, mom adopted another dog from a breeder. If my memory serves me correctly, she was 2yo then so would be 9yo now.

Mom was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer last year. She had surgery and chemo was was in remission for 8 months. Her cancer has returned and is more aggressive than before. She is now unable to care for the dogs. Her partner is not able to do so either as he has to care for her as well as work. I am not able to take the dogs in as I live overseas. Mom is unsure what to do about them. She does not want to hand them over to the pound because she knows they will be PTS. She is worried about giving them away just to anybody in case they are abused. I am after thoughts on what best to do for the dogs. Help?

No flaming here, such a sad situation.

I can only tell you what I would personaly do and that doesn't mean that is the right or wrong thing in this situation.

I would PTS the 14-15 year old and contact an all breeds rescue for assistance witth the 8 year (if the 8 year old still has many years ahead of them).

That's sad news :( Sorry there will be many hard decisions.

Would the younger dog's breeder be able to help? contact them, would be my suggestion.

The older dog .. if she were mine, she would not be sent to thepound, but taken to her own vet ,and gently hugged as she was euthanased quietly and calmly.....

:grouphug:

Even though I know it is best to PTS the older dog I am not sure if I could get mom to do it. It is just too sad to comprehend on so many levels. I cannot remmember the name of the breeder the younger one came from so perhaps the breed rescue is the way to go. I will need to speak to mom and lay out the options for her. Thanks you all for your input.

oh my god that's awful. I'm so sorry. :( You must be beside yourself being so far away.

Personally I'd rehome the younger immediately with the help of a rescue. And try to keep the elder one at home a while, the seniors aren't a whole lot of trouble and might give Mum some comfort.

Is Mum in Australia? Pacers might be able to find a visitor who could pop in and walk or feed the older doggy. Long shot :) but if she's in my area (Newtown,Sydney) I'd be happy to do that.

eta (I'm meaning no pressure, only if you feel she's up to keeping one)

Pacers

Edited by Powerlegs

So sorry, such a very sad situation for your mum, her partner and the dogs...

I think if the dogs were together, they could both be rehomed.. Asking some local rescue's for help to rehome might be a good idea to get them somewhere together...

However if they had to be separated I think the kindest thing would be to rehome the younger one and let the other one go to the bridge, unless your mother thinks she would be fine on her own.

Does mum have any friends close by that could help out as well to take some of the load off her and her partner? Maybe that way she could keep them?

Dogs are great comfort when you are unwell or hurting - they probably just want to be with her and if her partner is at work all day, maybe having them there with her might actually be a comfort..

Just some ideas - I hope it all works out.

I second contacting PACERS - they can help nut out a plan. Your mum might need a bit of short-term support to walk/care for the dogs while things are being sorted and this is where they can help too.

They are both Tibetan Spaniels. I did not see a breed rescue for TS.

I will lay all the options on the table for mom. Just need to wait a few days as she has been admitted to the hospital today due to some complications. I don't want to stress her anymore then necessary at the moment. But I guess what happened today just highlights how hard the road is going to be in the coming months.

They are both Tibetan Spaniels. I did not see a breed rescue for TS.

I will lay all the options on the table for mom. Just need to wait a few days as she has been admitted to the hospital today due to some complications. I don't want to stress her anymore then necessary at the moment. But I guess what happened today just highlights how hard the road is going to be in the coming months.

Tibbies! :heart: Just so happens my mum owns two and I'm on the email list for TibbiePets if you want to email me anything for circulation. There's not an official Tib Rescue as far as I know but definitely a community of people who help their breed.

Sorry forgot to mention mom lives in Melbourne. And I do not know how to quote to reply as I am using a tablet so no idea how to navigate the site properly so please don't think I am ignoring any of your advice. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I would contact some of the breeders on DOL and ask them is they have any homes who may be interested in them. The 8yr old will be easy to home and to be honest I wouldn't rush into pts the 14yr old as long as he was in good health. I know as sheltie rescue we have homed a number in the 10plus years and they aren't that hard. Lots of people love oldies and they do adjust. If however he had any health issues at all I would pts

Guest donatella

Contact mita in this forum - she knows a lot of people in the Tibetan breed world.

I second this, Mita is lovely and knows her tibbies and tibby people, she'll definitely be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to your mum