Dogs And Wilson Prom Surrounds

Isabel964

I know dogs are not allowed in National Parks and so not allowed at Wilson's prom. I was thinking of staying in a cabin nearby in Fosters. Maybe we could go for a walk through Wilson's Prom for a couple of hours, and go back for the dogs and take them then somewhere else. Is it nice outside the national park as well?

Is that do-able?

Are dogs allowed on the beaches down there that are not Wílson's Prom...Yanakis, Port Franklin, Sandy Point? I have never been in that part of the world and would love to go, but I'm not going without the dogs.

Any suggestions?

I know dogs are not allowed in National Parks and so not allowed at Wilson's prom. I was thinking of staying in a cabin nearby in Fosters. Maybe we could go for a walk through Wilson's Prom for a couple of hours, and go back for the dogs and take them then somewhere else. Is it nice outside the national park as well?

Is that do-able?

Are dogs allowed on the beaches down there that are not Wílson's Prom...Yanakis, Port Franklin, Sandy Point? I have never been in that part of the world and would love to go, but I'm not going without the dogs.

Any suggestions?

It takes more than a couple of hours to see Wilson's Prom. It is somewhere you can spend days, and takes quite a while to drive in and out of. It is stunning and unspoiled and one reason for that is that it is so remote from agriculture and other signs of civilisation. If you want to see it properly you would be best not to take dogs on this holiday.

Thanks, but its not possible to not take the dogs....it just wouldn't feel right, not at the moment at least. I guess I'll have to one day because I do want to see Wilson's Prom. But I'd just rather not go than leave the dogs.

You can take dogs onlead at Sandy Point and Waratah Bay as long as it's before 9 and after 6pm from Dec to end of April. Between 9-6pm they're not allowed but it's generally quiet unless it's school holidays or there's a school camp going.

We've occasionally taken them down when we're not supposed to, but haven't seen a ranger, let alone another person :laugh:

There is a leash free area near the lookout at Sandy Point but we don't go there as SP is always busy. Waratah is heaps quieter.

You really need a week to REALLY enjoy Wilsons Prom. We go to Waratah Bay a lot, but only spent a few hours in Wilsons Prom last time and it just wasn't enough.. We'd stayed down there for a week.

It can take hours to get out of the Prom, but it depends how far you go. We only went to the walks about 15 mins in, walked for 2hrs and went out again.. It's my favourite place in the world. I could move there in a heartbeat.

Edited by Bundyburger

We are at Sandy Point all the time. You can pretty much take your dog to the dog section any time, even though its only morning and evening, last year the ranger told me I could anytime but I think she was wrong lol, also if she saw people at other sections she just told them they had to go to the dog beach part. I believe they have to either call the council or police to fine you so if they approach and tell you to move just do and you should be fine.

The beach there is so huge that I think most people work on the basis if they don't want to be near dogs they go the oppersite way of the dog beach.

edit: Also everyone lets them off leash at the dog beach part, so if you don't like that probably not a good spot for you.

Edited by chuckandsteve

OK, so thats all very good to know. If we go down to Foster/Sandy Beach, Waratah....is it still nice getaway for a weekend, nice scenery, places to walk, little shops/cafe's....even though we won't be able to go to Wilsons Prom? Or is it pretty crappy?

I haven't been down way. We usually go to down the Great Ocean Road which is of course wonderful.

Looking for a change that's all.

There is a track from Sandy Point to the inlet, which is like a bush track its about 5kms i think.

The walk from the surf club to the inlet round the beach is really nice and my dogs love running over the dunes. But they can only go to the inlet outside 9am-6pm. They do let us load the dogs onto our boat between those times and we drive them out to a bit of beach no one is on.

There is a general store, fish and chip/pizza/ cafe in one. There is a bar and the surf club is sometimes open for drinks.

Its a nice quiet town big bigger than Warratah (though I never go there as in-laws have house at Sandy)

Worth at least one trip and I guess you can see if you like it. It is very dog friendly, most of the dog restictions on the beach are ignored but I guess if they have people really doing the wrong thing that will change.

OK, so thats all very good to know. If we go down to Foster/Sandy Beach, Waratah....is it still nice getaway for a weekend, nice scenery, places to walk, little shops/cafe's....even though we won't be able to go to Wilsons Prom? Or is it pretty crappy?

I haven't been down way. We usually go to down the Great Ocean Road which is of course wonderful.

Looking for a change that's all.

Other than the beaches, not really anywhere to walk as it's all farmland except for Foster. Foster has cafe's and things. Sandy point has a Cafe and a general store and that's about it. Waratah Bay has a general store at the caravan park.

There are lots of places to visit in easy driving distance though.. You can take the dogs for a walk down at Port Albert, get fish and chips for lunch.. go for a drive to my favourite place Agnes Falls (can take the dogs too)...

We've not tackled the walk from SP to the inlet, but I think that'll be on the cards this weekend.