Behavourist - Mildura Area.

pebbles

Does anyone know of a behavourist in the Mildura area? Lady is having problems with her pup. Apparently she has rung one there but the phone isn't answering. Sorry, I don't know the name of this behavourist, only getting this through another dog site. Pup, 9mths old, isn't too bad just hypo and lady doesn't know how to cope.

I'm 3 hrs from Mildura amd I didn't know there was any in the area at all. Have you advised her to exercise the dog to he's tired? A tired dog is usually a good dog. If its only a young dog then he can't have vigorous physical exercise but she can exercise his brain with problem solving activities , obedience, teaching him tricks etc. That might help until she can find a behaviorist.

The lady has had other dogs before, golden retriever, chi, this is a Whippet, 9mths. going through the teenager thing. She gets plenty of excercise but just never tires, typical Whippet lol. I don't think owner has much idea of training, apparently the others were very laid back. I hadn't heard of a behavourist in the area either but? Lady is thinking of rehoming. Maybe next time I'm in Mildura I might offer to have a look. I'm no expert but may be able to give her a few clues.

I'd suggest she either travels to Adelaide or Melbourne (5 hours either way) for a consult. Cosmolo, Erny and Nekhbet are all in Vic. Mark Singer is in SA, Steve Courtney (NSW) may do a phone consult for her also.

I'm not sure that there are even many decent obedience trainers in Mildura, let alone anyone qualified to deal with behavioural issues.

The lady has had other dogs before, golden retriever, chi, this is a Whippet, 9mths. going through the teenager thing. She gets plenty of excercise but just never tires, typical Whippet lol. I don't think owner has much idea of training, apparently the others were very laid back. I hadn't heard of a behavourist in the area either but? Lady is thinking of rehoming. Maybe next time I'm in Mildura I might offer to have a look. I'm no expert but may be able to give her a few clues.

Does the lady still have the GRs and chi? Because if she does that means she is a member of this forum

Well, I think you may all be right. Just felt sorry for the dog and thought maybe some help could be found. I've got a very soft spot for Whippets.

We all do. Wrong breed for that home.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

pebbles - I don't know the other forum but I think it might still be worth reaching out to her and giving her some contacts re: rehoming the whippet if it goes down that path. I know if I needed to rehome my dog I certainly wouldn't come on DOL for advice because I couldn't stand the judgement. However, she needs to know that there are whippet savvy people out there who would take Missy on in a second and give her a good home, with no stone throwing attached. Trading Post etc isn't the way to go.

You're right Megan, I'll keep in touch with her and if needs be, will take the Whippet myself then I'll be looking for some one to take her on as unfortunately I couldn't keep her much as I would love to.

You're right Megan, I'll keep in touch with her and if needs be, will take the Whippet myself then I'll be looking for some one to take her on as unfortunately I couldn't keep her much as I would love to.

Just say the word. Foster home will be found :)

I've said on more than one occassion that I'm happy to take on the Whippet, deal with the issues and find her a suitable home.

ETA: just let me know if I'm needed, both of my current fosters have been rehomed and I have house space available

Edited by Pav Lova

I've sent a message to say that if she thinks of rehoming to please let me know as I would take her - so just wait and see. Thanks for filling me in. I hope I hear back from her.

Good luck, there has been a LOT of non judgemental advice given regarding all of her dogs, and most if not all of it has been ignored

ETA: I do hope she seriously considers rehoming, a whippet is NOT a Golden, and its obvious that she isn't coping

Edited by GoldenGirl85

If she'd bought it off a registered breeder she possibly could have returned it, or at least had some help with finding another suitable home. :( Poor little dog, I hope it will be OK.

I suggest she ask the Vic Whippet Association for help if she no longer wants her whippet. From what they say, most of the ones they rescue are from back yard breeders. :banghead: