What's The Chance Of Getting A Tick?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I just went on a hunt with Lucy to find the dog park near us and went the wrong way which took us through some bushland, dirt tracks, mud, trees, but it was a designated walking track so I thought it might have led to the park (it didnt in the end). We walked in there probably a total of 15-20mins.

Anyway I'm totally paranoid that she might have gotten a tick as we've never been in that sort of environment. I got home and put a dose if frontline plus on her and gave her a good feel down but her coat is so thick it's hard to feel skin, surely a tick would get caught in the fluff first? Should I go out and buy a tick wash? (not that I can bathe her for 24 hours now after the frontline). Sorry I'm just a bit paranoid and not sure about Brisbane tick status at this time of year?

By the way thank you to those who suggested dog parks out of hours, I eventually found it (nowhere near the bush) and it's lovely, me and her just had a big burn around and she's currently passed out on the couch next to me this is the quietest ive ever seen her this time of day

a4ba3e08.jpg

I don't know what ticks are like up there but I would never discount the possibility of her getting one. Search her regularly (2-3 times a day), particularly everything before the shoulders as they are most common on head and neck from when dogs stick their noses into bushes. We live in an incredibly tick prone area and one vet I worked for recommended closing your eyes and letting your fingers do the searching for one search a day as well

Regardless of what you put on her, no drug is 100% effective. The best prevention is to diligently search them several times a day, know the tick paralysis signs and get them to a vet sooner rather than later if you suspect a tick.

Guest donatella

I'll be watching her like a hawk but feeling her skin is the hardest bit. I might give her a bath this time tomorrow as I get a better feel of her skin when she's wet. Arghh I'm such a stress head, might google the first signs of paralysis ticks too

Guest donatella

Thanks telida, can I get it from pet stores?

Should I be safe and do it today or wait the 24 hours post frontline application and just watch her

Thanks telida, can I get it from pet stores?

Should I be safe and do it today or wait the 24 hours post frontline application and just watch her

Vet, decent sized pet shops or producd stores - but it might pay to ring around. You can make it up into a spray or a rinse so it is useful stuff to have around.

I would wait 24 hours. Generally takes a few days for a tick to engorge so don't panic.

This is when owning a big dog hairdryer is useful.. you can use it to blow the coat apart and see every bit of skin.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Guest donatella

Much appreciated!!

I just gave her another good feel down and cant feel any lumps, but if there is a tick it may need time to engorge. I'll source that product and bath her tomorrow and keep giving her a feel down.

Thanks again, no more bushland for us!!

Edited by donatella

Feel all over with your finger tips. Favourite area's are ears,face,gums, between toes, underneath stopper on back of front legs, armpits & chest area.. I go to those places first then bellies & privates.

I go over them slowly daily, sometimes twice daily. Don't know how bad the ticks are in your area. You have a long coated dog as I do,makes it harder. This is just the way I do it so as to try not to miss

anywhere. I have tick paranoia too :o I hate the things. Fingers crossed for you, all is good. :crossfingers: She is such a little cutie.

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest donatella

Feel all over with your finger tips. Favourite area's are ears,face,gums, between toes, underneath stopper on back of front legs, armpits & chest area.. I go to those places first then bellies & privates.

I go over them slowly daily, sometimes twice daily. Don't know how bad the ticks are in your area. You have a long coated dog as I do,makes it harder. This is just the way I do it so as to try not to miss

anywhere. I have tick paranoia too :o I hate the things. Fingers crossed for you, all is good. :crossfingers: She is such a little cutie.

Didn't even think about her paws and gums!! Thanks for that.

Ticks are bastard things I'm just hoping that our sticking to the dirt walking track and only being in their for a short time works in our favour.

Don't let the cuteness fool you, she's a devil in disguise :)

Especially feel & look in areas of her body where the hair is sparse as I have been told the spot on does not work real well in these areas. You don't have to walk through scrub to get ticks, my dogs get them out of the lawn. Keep an eye on your self too, especially for those pesky tiny grass ticks that get into your underwear & in your hair :mad

I agree with all of the above about checking her over - just check with the frontline when you can wash her...I think a few of those treatments reccommend not getting the dog wet for a day or two for the treatment to actually work?

You live in Brisbane and you don't use preventative regularly or do daily tick checks? Wow, you're brave, especially at this time of year.

The majority of ticks are found around the head/neck/ears area. If you get all 4 fingers and slowly drag them through the fur in a marching motion, do it again 12 hours later to catch any tiny ones you may have missed. And don't forget to check under the tail and around the anus, people seem to miss that area.

I agree with all the checking over...I personally don't like frontline plus. After using it for about a year, ticks and fleas started to reappear. Working in a petstore, a LOT of customers have the same complaint. So be wary of that. Since using Advantix for 5 years or more, I have never seen a tick or flea on my dogs...leeches, that's another story :laugh: First sign of paralysis (sp?) I guess would be the drowsiness. My cat, when she was a kitten got a paralysis tick and was on the verge of dying. I however, was only 3, and have been told that on the way to the vet I was happily singing about my cat dying, then getting a dalmation, then the dalmation dies, so we get another one :laugh: Sure that wouldn't have helped mum who was balling her eyes out...but, I am happy to say, the cat is still alive, so there was no need to get a dalmation :laugh:

I just went on a hunt with Lucy to find the dog park near us and went the wrong way which took us through some bushland, dirt tracks, mud, trees, but it was a designated walking track so I thought it might have led to the park (it didnt in the end). We walked in there probably a total of 15-20mins.

Anyway I'm totally paranoid that she might have gotten a tick as we've never been in that sort of environment. I got home and put a dose if frontline plus on her and gave her a good feel down but her coat is so thick it's hard to feel skin, surely a tick would get caught in the fluff first? Should I go out and buy a tick wash? (not that I can bathe her for 24 hours now after the frontline). Sorry I'm just a bit paranoid and not sure about Brisbane tick status at this time of year?

By the way thank you to those who suggested dog parks out of hours, I eventually found it (nowhere near the bush) and it's lovely, me and her just had a big burn around and she's currently passed out on the couch next to me this is the quietest ive ever seen her this time of day

a4ba3e08.jpg

Hey Donatella

Its prob best to be safe then sorry. What part of Brisbane was this. I am up Mt Nebo way so up in the sticks. We do bush walks abt 4 times a week atm. I don't do them in summer as its ticks galore but the local vet haven't had a tick case around here for over a mnth. Doesn't mean they are not around, they always are, just not as bad as it gets cooler. I honestly wouldn't stress too much :) I just have the collars on mine atm and feel safe walking the bush tracks ect :)

Guest donatella

You live in Brisbane and you don't use preventative regularly or do daily tick checks? Wow, you're brave, especially at this time of year.

The majority of ticks are found around the head/neck/ears area. If you get all 4 fingers and slowly drag them through the fur in a marching motion, do it again 12 hours later to catch any tiny ones you may have missed. And don't forget to check under the tail and around the anus, people seem to miss that area.

She gets monthly frontline plus treatments, and is predominantly an inside dog (we live in a townhouse with a courtyard so no grass either). So I've never really had to excessively worry about it until the bushland trip today.

Guest donatella

a4ba3e08.jpg

Hey Donatella

Its prob best to be safe then sorry. What part of Brisbane was this. I am up Mt Nebo way so up in the sticks. We do bush walks abt 4 times a week atm. I don't do them in summer as its ticks galore but the local vet haven't had a tick case around here for over a mnth. Doesn't mean they are not around, they always are, just not as bad as it gets cooler. I honestly wouldn't stress too much :) I just have the collars on mine atm and feel safe walking the bush tracks ect :)

Okay that's good to hear. I'm at morningside and the bushland was part of the seven hills reserve here, so not a major bushland, but a bushland still.

I'm sure I'm being paranoia but I know how evil the bloody paralysis ticks are so been stupidly vigilant ;)

Yeah they are evil little bastards! But just keep an eye on her, at this time of year the threat is no where near as bad as even a few mnths ago :) I know what you mean though, i keep both the advantix and preventic collars on mine in the spring/summer as htey are very bad around here then, and my boy's coat is basically a plush coat so you are very hard pressed to feel them until they would be quite large.

I have a very dumb question to ask about ticks ..... do they engorge and then fall off, or do they stay to digest and then have another (and another and another) feed?

Not dumb at all Erny. They do engorge but they don't fall off.Although I have had times when a dog will scratch them off very occasionally. Usually they just get full & bury deeper,

inbeded if you like into the skin the longer they are left on your dog. They don't multiply while on your dog either. It only takes one paralysis tick to kill a dog if not removed ASAP.

One the size of a match head or even smaller. A dog can have many on him at one time. I have vivid memories even as a child sitting on our back steps literally picking off ticks

one after the other on our beloved family dog. 20 or so at times. It was a daily chore for us. That was well before Advantix or alike. It is still a daily chore for me with my 2 now only

(touch wood) very,very rarely do I find any on them. Advantix every fortnight does seem to work very well for us here. I apply it every 3 weeks in the winter time when ticks aren't so prevalent.

They are very evil things. To see a dog suffering from a paralysis tick symtoms is just such a horrible thing to see. They make the poor dog sooo damm sick. They effect a dogs hind legs, they

are unable to walk, there breathing becomes impaired as the poison constricts there larricks. The list goes on & on. Just insidious things they are.

Edited by BC Crazy