Craniomandibular Osteopathy In Westies

I have had an email from a friend who is concerned about Craniomandibular Osteopathy aka CMO or Lion Jaw in Westies.

I had not heard of this disease before now. My friend had mentioned that there have been some cases it showing up Westie pups in Victoria. It is hereditary it seems.

Here is a link that you can download the PDF which explains it. http://www.westiefoundation.org/pages/health/diseases/cmo.html

Has anyone else come across this? and if anyone were to buy a Westie pup how do they know that the parents are clear?...I mean...they are not going to know so they are not going to ask are they!

From what I have read, dogs have trouble opening their mouths due to the overgrowth of bone and it seems to be related to rapid growth. Apparently once the growth rate is slowed, the dogs are able to open their mouths again normally.

So I'd say that any puppy which has problems eating could be a potential candidate.

I have seen it once back in the 80's in a puppy bred by a friend,it is manly seen in small teriers and generally it improves as the dog gets to around 1 year old.

At this time there is no DNA test for it or any other problems that westies may have.

A six year old is unusual as it normally appears at around 4/5 months. A whole litter is also unusual sadly Boronia as I said before at present there is no

DNA testing for our lovely breed which makes it hard if neither parents have been known to produce this before. Hopefully we will see DNA tests available

for westies in the future.

The one I heard about is a 6 year old Westie and also, recently, a litter of pups. I would have thought that the breeder of the pups would have been more careful choosing the parents.

• 4 weeks later...

A six year old is unusual as it normally appears at around 4/5 months. A whole litter is also unusual sadly Boronia as I said before at present there is no

DNA testing for our lovely breed which makes it hard if neither parents have been known to produce this before. Hopefully we will see DNA tests available

for westies in the future.

The one I heard about is a 6 year old Westie and also, recently, a litter of pups. I would have thought that the breeder of the pups would have been more careful choosing the parents.

Hi Ron :wave: the 6y/o was a rescue.