More Than Two Breeds

Whipitgood

I also believe that it is an individual thing.

But I also believe that it would be difficult for me to have more than two breeds and justice to all. :)

Exactly, because YOU believe it would be difficult. That's completely different to somebody else saying, "you should only have one breed because that is all you can do justice to"......

I get very tired of people who insist that they know best what another individual can cope with.

Agreed fully....well said.....

It's the same as those that comment on litters born....more than one a year makes someone a puppy farmer....some think more than one every two years....I've seen (and done myself) three litters in a year, and had no issues...just how things went....two or three years before the next mating took place. Guess I"m a puppy farmer?

Now hang on a minute the pair of you. :)

You are taking what I said out of context.

Of course it would be difficult for ME to have more than two breeds and promote both.

I don't care how many breeds anybody has as long as they give the appropriate care.

I don't care how many litters any body breeds as long as they give the appropriate care.

I have two breeds here but the time has come for me to finish with one breed and now promote the other.

That does not mean that one breed will go, it just means that I will only promote one breed at a time as I have always done.

At my age ladies I just just can't do it anymore. As I previously said = it would be difficult for me to have more than two breeds and do justice to all. :)

But I also believe that it would be difficult for me to have more than two breeds and justice to all. :)

Exactly, because YOU believe it would be difficult. That's completely different to somebody else saying, "you should only have one breed because that is all you can do justice to"......

I get very tired of people who insist that they know best what another individual can cope with.

It's the same as those that comment on litters born....more than one a year makes someone a puppy farmer....some think more than one every two years....I've seen (and done myself) three litters in a year, and had no issues...just how things went....two or three years before the next mating took place. Guess I"m a puppy farmer?

Errrr Oakway.....YOU hang on and don't get "huffy". Take a look at the date of my post (16th March), look back through the thread and you will see that you have already replied to my post.......obviously Angelsun is just coming into the thread late ;)

Nobody is speaking about you "personally"....my point is that each individual should know what they can reasonably take on. As they should in ALL facets of life. I daresay there are some people who say that certain others aren't doing justice to the breed of their choice, even if that individual thinks they're doing just fine...let alone do justice to second or third breeds.

But overall it is a CHOICE people make and nobody has the right to tell them that they "shouldn't" or "can't" do something, provided they are able to manage physically, emotionally and financially and their dogs are not in any form of distress for any reason.

Errrr Oakway.....YOU hang on and don't get "huffy". Take a look at the date of my post (16th March), look back through the thread and you will see that you have already replied to my post.......obviously Angelsun is just coming into the thread late ;)

Nobody is speaking about you "personally"....my point is that each individual should know what they can reasonably take on. As they should in ALL facets of life. I daresay there are some people who say that certain others aren't doing justice to the breed of their choice, even if that individual thinks they're doing just fine...let alone do justice to second or third breeds.

But overall it is a CHOICE people make and nobody has the right to tell them that they "shouldn't" or "can't" do something, provided they are able to manage physically, emotionally and financially and their dogs are not in any form of distress for any reason.

I am not angry or huffy :) I really thought that the both of you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I was just trying to make sure that you both realised that I have no objections to persons having multiple breeds. :)

I exhibit 3 breeds in 3 different groups but only breed one....I wouldn;t even consider breeding the other two as frankly 1) I'm not inyerested and 2) I don't know nearly enough about the breeed let alone the lines......happy to promote the breed just not add to the population.....

I have had two breeds for years...always in different groups...I can see why here, with the way shows are run, you would be better to stick to one group, but it's not impossible, just need to prioritize when it comes to showing (or not have breeds starting with the same letter in different groups!)

Anyway...the thought that there are people that should not have more than one breed because they can not do both justice is absolutely absurd as far as I"m concerned....Why would we assume that people do not have the mental ability or talent to learn about more than one breed at a time? I see many out there that I think truly believe that their breed is in fact the ONLY breed out there..they know NOTHING about any other breed, nor barely know what breeds fit in what groups....to me, that's not doing justice to their breed.

People that stretch their minds and work on two or more breeds successfully, have a far better overall knowledge base to draw from. They aren't stuck in the misconception that the one breed is unique or special or unlike any other breed (sorry to burst bubbles, but your breed isn't as unique as you may think it is.....another breed can have all the same qualities, but since you don't know anything about any other breed...you can't realize that fact)

I have seen over the years, many people do multiple breeds with huge results....limited breeding, careful planning and simple good dog ownership and hard work. Yes, they get grief by the 'single breed breeders' out there...but perhaps it's a case of jealousy...that single breed breeder can't multi task and therefore the green eyed monster rears up....lashes out in a breeder bashing of sorts.

Well said Angelsun! :thumbsup:

I breed one breed, have shown another for over a decade and continue to follow that breed and see whats what. I have also been following a 3rd breed for the last couple of years (here and abroad) getting to know lines and breeders and going to club shows. The only problem in the UK, groups can be spread over 3 or 4 days of a show, which can make for expensive show weekends if each breed has a good judge!

Have to strongly agree that learning about other breeds has a lot of benefits for understanding both your own breed(s) and dogs in general. There is a lot to be learnt about function and structure by learning about other breeds and sometimes knowing the differences and how they came about can be just as important as the similarities (though you are definitely right about the similarities angelsun). I don't think it helps a breed to limit knowledge only to that one breed.

I have shown two breeds in different groups and you are right it can be a challenge and a juggling act at times. Not impossible though and really it is not that much more complicated for one person to show two dogs of different breeds than two dogs of the same breed (which can itself occasionally be a juggling act).