Testing For Breed Function

Kavik

With all these threads on breed health and functionality, I thought I'd start a thread on ways we can test for functionality in breeds. For some this is more obvious than others, some breeds are still used for original work or there are sports which simulate original work, with others their work is illegal so we may need to be more creative in testing for correct temperament/functionality. Obviously I am talking about the breeds with a working function, not those who were bred stricly as companions.

So the easy ones:

herding breeds - herding tests/trials

Terriers - earthdog

sighthounds - lure coursing, maybe look at the prey drive section in Korning test to see if it could be adapted somehow?

gundogs - the various gundog sports, according to the breed's function

sled dogs - sled dog events or weight pull

Protection breeds - on another forum we are discussing the best way to go about this as IPO is difficult in this country due to perception and laws (and lack of clubs) - so we are currently looking at alternatives that would be accepted - one idea is a temperament test that is done in Sweden and measures stability, prey drive, play drive, sociability, startle and recovery, reactions to strange people and objects and noise etc and does not include bitework

For the more dificult ones

Scenting dogs - nosework maybe http://www.funnosework.com/ ETA: Tracking :)

cart pulling dogs - weight pull

Dallies and other endurance breeds - Endurance test

Companion dogs - general temperament test - handleability, sociability, nerve, maybe startle and recovery?

The really hard ones - bull breeds and large game hunters whose original purpose is illegal - maybe weight pull http://www.iwpa.net/index.html or one with spring pole? (look down to hang time) http://www.irondog.biz/rules.html which would test gameness

Have I missed any?

Edited by Kavik

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all these threads on breed health and functionality, I thought I'd start a thread on ways we can test for functionality in breeds. For some this is more obvious than others, some breeds are still used for original work or there are sports which simulate original work, with others their work is illegal so we may need to be more creative in testing for correct temperament/functionality. Obviously I am talking about the breeds with a working function, not those who were bred stricly as companions.

So the easy ones:

herding breeds - herding tests/trials

Terriers - earthdog

sighthounds - lure coursinggundogs - the various gundog sports, according to the breed's function

sled dogs - sled dog events or weight pull

Protection breeds - on another forum we are discussing the best way to go about this as IPO is difficult in this country due to perception and laws (and lack of clubs) - so we are currently looking at alternatives that would be accepted - one idea is a temperament test that is done in Sweden and measures stability, prey drive, play drive, sociability, startle and recovery, reactions to strange people and objects and noise etc and does not include bitework

For the more dificult ones

Scenting dogs - nosework maybe http://www.funnosework.com/

cart pulling dogs - weight pull

The really hard ones - bull breeds and large game hunters whose original purpose is illegal - maybe weight pull http://www.iwpa.net/index.html or one with spring pole? (look down to hang time) http://www.irondog.biz/rules.html which would test gameness

Have I missed any?

Quite a few sighthounds won't course a plastic bag. And live game is out. I call lure coursing and indicator of function but by no means a definitive method of proving it. Coursing lures don't move like hares either.

You could change the lure to be a fake fur tug or similar. Is there a way you could rig the lure to move like prey? Surely there should be a way to adapt it to test for function. This is the video of the temperament test under discussion for GSDs - if you watch it the section on testing for prey drive uses a pretend furry little animal, that might work for testing sighthounds too?

What about companion dogs? The Jap Spitz was bred as a companion and house dog, thought to have originated from the grosse spitz that, from memory, barked to alert of incoming people towards their home.

My dog certainly does that! :laugh:

To do a generalised test like that would then extend outside guarding breeds. Bitework has its own merits as a tester, there are things you cannot prove without seeing the dog bite. There is more to it then pure prey work as well and in that ideal the dogs can be mated to produce different types of working animals. Within some breeds there is a difference between civil working animals and sport animals - you dont mix the two in some instances as it doesnt produce good pups. Plenty of dogs out there with a lot of prey, but woeful bites, and conversely those with a lower prey but fabulous bite and guarding skills. If we keep accepting alternatives our quality will slip, which it has in a lot of cases.

That Korning test on paper looks to have a lot of merit, but from that video ... I wouldn't touch that dog to work with a 10 foot pole

I like the idea of the Swedish test for protection. It could also be used for a lot of sporting working breeds as those qualities are desirable for those breeds too. Do you have any more info on it?

Stonecutter - maybe a cut-down of the Swedish protection test? After all, a good pet dog should have solid nerves, should be able to recover quickly from a startle, should react appropriately to strangers (I don't mean they have to love them, but not be timid or aggressive) etc.

I like the idea of nosework separate from tracking too, as it provides a different outlet for the scent skills.

What about companion dogs? The Jap Spitz was bred as a companion and house dog, thought to have originated from the grosse spitz that, from memory, barked to alert of incoming people towards their home.

My dog certainly does that! :laugh:

You could develop a "fluffiness" test, or evaluate its size:cute ratio :laugh:

Edited by Weasels

actually companion dogs should be tested for handleability, a good nature, good nerve and high tolerance of human contact. Too many small dogs with temperaments totally opposite to what makes a good companion dog.

I would love to see huskies/ mals etc tested for team working as well.

Nothing worse than the ones that snap or lunge as you scoot on overtaking them. (Thankfully not too many)

They're supposed to work as a team so they shouldn't be having a go at other dogs IMO

Nothing worse than the ones that snap or lunge as you scoot on overtaking them. (Thankfully not too many)

They're supposed to work as a team so they shouldn't be having a go at other dogs IMO

If they aren't having a go at the dogs on their team, I'd not consider it an issue. A strong pack dog doesn't necessarily welcome strangers to the pack.

Not many show whippets get to hunt, course or race, and I doubt show greyhounds ever would. I wish that performance ability was recognised by the breed authorities and VCA. At least there's provision for it on the whippet archives, an amazing resource for whippet enthusiasts. I've put all my girls racing acheivements on there. I'm probably the only Australian who's done so.

If they aren't having a go at the dogs on their team, I'd not consider it an issue. A strong pack dog doesn't necessarily welcome strangers to the pack.

Fair enough, but I have also seen some dogs have a go at their own team members.

There was a nasty blow out between two GSPs at a race last year.

To do a generalised test like that would then extend outside guarding breeds. Bitework has its own merits as a tester, there are things you cannot prove without seeing the dog bite. There is more to it then pure prey work as well and in that ideal the dogs can be mated to produce different types of working animals. Within some breeds there is a difference between civil working animals and sport animals - you dont mix the two in some instances as it doesnt produce good pups. Plenty of dogs out there with a lot of prey, but woeful bites, and conversely those with a lower prey but fabulous bite and guarding skills. If we keep accepting alternatives our quality will slip, which it has in a lot of cases.

That Korning test on paper looks to have a lot of merit, but from that video ... I wouldn't touch that dog to work with a 10 foot pole

I agree that a test with bitework would be ideal, but how to get that accepted? The idea being thrown around is start with Korning test and then proceed to Korung which has bitework.

Edited by Kavik

When we were recently in Finland, we did a "husky safari". The dogs are used for racing. They definitely had some arguments even within teams :laugh: Nothing serious though.

Fair enough, but I have also seen some dogs have a go at their own team members.

There was a nasty blow out between two GSPs at a race last year.

GSP's aint a sledding breed though - even if they do race in events.

Not many show whippets get to hunt, course or race, and I doubt show greyhounds ever would. I wish that performance ability was recognised by the breed authorities and VCA. At least there's provision for it on the whippet archives, an amazing resource for whippet enthusiasts. I've put all my girls racing acheivements on there. I'm probably the only Australian who's done so.

racing is not what greyhounds were originally bred to do, they were bred to hunt and yes some still do so, race and show bred. Not all greyhounds live in backyards plenty live on farms where there are rabbits, hares etc.

eta to fix my spelling - again!

Edited by Rebanne