Lense Question

k9angel

I need some advice please regarding lenses.

So far I have only been using the kit lens that came with my canon camera but today I was game and got out the other lense. The 75mm-300mm lense, the heavy one. :laugh:

I just want to double check, is this lense used for close up photos of objects far away like aeroplanes and birds in the distance etc?

I took this one earlier today with the 75mm-300mm.

6837464856_a854a19078.jpg

I feel silly and a little embarrassed asking questions like this but I am really keen to learn the differences between the two so if someone could please explain it to me in simple, english terms :laugh: it would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

that's a lovely photo! :thumbsup: Yes at the 300m end, things in the distance will appear closer. It's a zoom lens meaning you can zoom in on things. Very handy for wildlife and animal and or sporting action.

Edited by Kirislin

Nice shot!

Yes, your zoom is for those subjects that are farther away than you will be able to comfortably shoot (without massive cropping) with your shorter lens.

300mm is a nice long reach but it's not magic - if you are shooting something tiny a very long way away, it's still going to be small in the frame. Best thing you can do is what you are doing - whap it on there and get out and shoot :)

You likely will not be able to be as close to your subjects with the 300mm zoom as you would be with your kit lens, so watch your minimum focus distance.

Thanks heaps guys. :thanks:

And yes I noticed that Kja when I tried to get a close up of a rose. I had to switch back to the standard lense as the 300mm wouldn't focus in on it at close range. :)

ETA the rose in question. I did post in the wildlife thread but had to share here too. I just love the colours of it.

6837820822_1b924f5017.jpg

6837820818_cbc8a19a78.jpg

Edited by k9angel

one thing you will notice with the telephoto- you will get nice compression of the distance between subject and background (kind of like when you see those shots in the cricket or footy, and it looks like the audience behind the player is right there, when it is really a long long distance away.

one thing you will notice with the telephoto- you will get nice compression of the distance between subject and background (kind of like when you see those shots in the cricket or footy, and it looks like the audience behind the player is right there, when it is really a long long distance away.

Ta Linda K. I look forward to experimenting with it. :)