Tricky Question

Atanquin

I'm asking for a friend,

A freind of mine has a lovely GSD and they have about 10 acres of land with they have fenced with dog fencing they put a new gate as well between their property and the naighbours,

Some cows got through the new gate ( they don't know how) and well their dog was chasing them around on their property not the naighbours they tried to get the dog in but he was having to much fun running around. So they called the naighbour to come help get his cows of their land. So he came over and yelled at them about their dog chasing the cows and was threatening to shoot the dog.

Anyway the cows are back and the dog is fine and try have changed the lock on the gate. But they are still concerned about the naighbour shooting their dog.

Would that be illegal to shoot the dog on its property as it was his cows that broke through.

They asked me but I didn't know I just know if the dog was on the naighbours property then yes.

It probably won't happen again but they are worried.

The neighbour can not shoot the dog while the dog is on it's own property.

Should the dog wander onto the neighbours property they could.

If I was your friend I would be seeing that the gate is permanently locked or removed.

Wasn't this thread put up before? it sounds very familiar. Has your friends whole property been fenced? If so I would also put up a house fence, which a lot of people do have, & high enough that their dog can't jump over. I wouldn't allow my dog to wander around 10 acres unaccompanied.

Wasn't this thread put up before? it sounds very familiar. Has your friends whole property been fenced? If so I would also put up a house fence, which a lot of people do have, & high enough that their dog can't jump over. I wouldn't allow my dog to wander around 10 acres unaccompanied.

If it were me I would remove the gate as well - why have a gate between a bad neighbour and yourself. Then put a good house yard fence up. As said by previous poster a dog shouldn't wander around 10 acres alone anyway - just asking for trouble. I actually lock my dogs in a run when we are out, inside my house yard, inside my dog proof outer fencing. I wouldn't put it past this sort of man to lure a dog out or if it sticks its nose out to claim it was chasing the cows. I also live in cattle country and with wild dog issues and large dogs - I don't take the risk. And read the local council rules and see what they say - just to check - or ring the ranger. I would report to him (the ranger) that a neigbour had come over and threatened to shoot my dog on my own land and ask for him (the neigbour)to be explained the rules by the relevant authorities.

i had a look for other posts but couldn't find any but i will tell them that the neighbor can't shoot their dog on their property. they have changed the the lock already. and the acres are full dog proof fencing they did a really good job when they are out the dog is locked in the house as she is a stay at home mum so is home 95% of the time anyway, and there is a separate garden fenced area.

she has a horse that the dog is fine with but they where worried about how he would be with cows and sheep so that's why the new fencing was put up just for him :)

as it is a shared fence they put the gate in as there was one there before.

she went to feed the horse and found cows in the paddock and that's when Max chased them.

anyway i will tell them to stop panicking

Me neither. We are on 200 acres, but we have 1/2 acre fenced around the house & that is where the dogs run. When we take them for walks, we only let one off at a time, then they are less likely to go chasing a kangaroo or cows (ours). If they are free to run together, the younger one instigates a game of zoomies which is not at all safe around barb wire fences. :mad

It does sound familiar. There's a current thread in "In the news" where a farmer shot someone's dogs and dumped their bodies with an apparantly venomous note attached.

Your friend needs to check with the council, if the dogs wandered onto the neighbours property, but weren't bothering the cows, they might still get shot at.....depends how the neighbour sees the situation.

Getting rid of the gate sounds like a good first action, but is there some sort of right of way?

Cattle were tresspassing

The dog was on its own fully fenced property

It was out with its owner

It is in the house when they are not home

There is a house yard

Gate is now padlocked to prevent future accidents

Sound like very responsible owners to me

The only thing I would do is suggest they work on making Max a little more obedient under distraction. I would also regularly check the fence line as stock will push through and worry away at weak areas. As someone suggested - touch base with the local ranger about what happened including the threat.

Edited by frufru

There are days I would like to shoot my neighbour (not his dog) for letting his dog onto my property and hassle my lovely Jersey Girl. Just as well he's a stocky little staffy because it is only a matter of time before she lays the hoof in.

I've asked and asked. The other night I was headed up to feed the horses and cow and the dog was in the paddock, chasing the cow, again, but he quickly called it home and put it in its pen. His whole yard is almost entirely dog proof except for a section along our top paddock and the dog thinks this is his territory too. I wish he'd pull his finger out and get on with doing that section too. It's been a year.

If I'd been your friend and my neighbour had threatened my dog on my property like that I would have told him I'll shoot his cows if they tresspass and upset my dog again! (Of course I would not actually do it, or shoot my neighbour either for that matter. ;) )

Edited by LizT

Not that I agree with it but you can't shoot livestock for wandering onto your property. A man was charged recently for slaughtering his neighbours cows after repeated (and I mean repeated) times they got onto his property. The guy told the cow owner many times to remove the cows and he finally had had enough and sent them for slaughter.

That said our 'bad neighbour' who repeatively won't keep his cows and bulls in was told by another neighbour that my OH had been told and will be out within the hour to shoot the bull. It was back in its paddock within 30 minutes as my OH is known to be very handy with a gun.

I would still contact the ranger and tell them about the threat and maybe they can visit the man.

Not that I agree with it but you can't shoot livestock for wandering onto your property. A man was charged recently for slaughtering his neighbours cows after repeated (and I mean repeated) times they got onto his property. The guy told the cow owner many times to remove the cows and he finally had had enough and sent them for slaughter.

That said our 'bad neighbour' who repeatively won't keep his cows and bulls in was told by another neighbour that my OH had been told and will be out within the hour to shoot the bull. It was back in its paddock within 30 minutes as my OH is known to be very handy with a gun.

I would still contact the ranger and tell them about the threat and maybe they can visit the man.

So you can shoot a dog on your property but not livestock?? That's ridiculous!