What Do Pet Behaviorists Do?

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone for the advice and links!

I have emailed the recommended trainer so hopefully I hear back shortly to book an appointment.

I'm away at the moment but will read all those links more thoroughly when I get home.

Not good news from mum today though, she got to mums downstairs phone cord and chewed it in half (most likely mums fault for leaving it down) but this is ridiculous she's never been this bad (maybe she's acting up as this is the longest I've been away from her and she's quite bonded to me solely). My brother has very expensive aquarium tanks downstairs as well and he threatened me this afternoon that id have a dead dog if she chewed those cords (yes he is a moron). I don't own a crate so the next safest place for all when noone is home is outside, she has grass, an undercover area and a big garden to find things to chew in there.

Argh Lucy, not funny!!

it's your Mother's house but you blame her for leaving her own telephone cord down? Do you have any idea how much aquariums cost and how fragile they can be? I'd be threatening your dog too. You knew Lucy was destructive, you should have bought a crate for her before she went to your Mum's so Lucy could have been better managed.

Actually she's stayed there at least 5 other times and NEVER destroyed anything at mums. She sleeps on mums bed and has never been a problem therefore I have never had the need to contain her.

I love how you always jump to the worst conclusion first without getting

a full set of facts first. Always looking for the worst in someone.

I don't see any conclusion that was jumped to, or any "looking for the worst in someone".

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Donatella, what do you think a behaviourist is going to tell you? Do you seriously think they wont recommend confining your dog? Dog training is not magic, it's common sense. If you want to see a behaviourist then do so, it appears to me that this whole thread is simply fishing for approval which is really unnecessary.

I'd think Crisovars point is exactly as stated...

I'm curious to see if there are any underlining problems, as there must be some reason she is so destructive (both when alone and when people are home).

I actually started the thread to find out the process of what happens (ie they come into your home? Watch your dog?). I have no idea as I've never heard of the concept before DOL.

Im not here for advice to stop her chewing, all of it is bleeding obvious, I actually came to ask about the behaviorist process as id already made up my mind to consult one. Telling me to confine her and put things away is a bandaid solution, I'm keen to delve further into it to see WHY she actually does it. Sue me for wanting to consult a professional to get help for me and me dog.

Guest donatella

I think seeking the advice of a behaviorist is a good idea. An outside perspective can often help. She may be a more stressy dog than you realise. The framework a behaviorist can provide may be just what you need. The other thing to consider is that she may have an anxiety disorder that she channels into unwanted displacement behaviours. A vet recently told me that one in five dogs has this type of problem. This can be medical but the behaviorist should be able to point you in the right direction. As long as they are positive in their approach (no shock collars,dominance theory or phyical punishment).

Thank you, this is really helpful! I'm hoping having a professional assess her might be able to give me more insight into her actual self (coming from a trainers eyes not an owners eyes). As I stated earlier ive never had a dog behave like this so its new territory for me.

Donatella, what do you think a behaviourist is going to tell you? Do you seriously think they wont recommend confining your dog? Dog training is not magic, it's common sense. If you want to see a behaviourist then do so, it appears to me that this whole thread is simply fishing for approval which is really unnecessary.

I'm curious to see if there are any underlining problems, as there must be some reason she is so destructive (both when alone and when people are home).

I actually started the thread to find out the process of what happens (ie they come into your home? Watch your dog?). I have no idea as I've never heard of the concept before DOL.

Im not here for advice to stop her chewing, all of it is bleeding obvious, I actually came to ask about the behaviorist process as id already made up my mind to consult one. Telling me to confine her and put things away is a bandaid solution, I'm keen to delve further into it to see WHY she actually does it. Sue me for wanting to consult a professional to get help for me and me dog.

Good Grief use a bandaid before you need a tourniquet if it is that bleeding obvious do it,instead of allowing her to keep chewing as she has in your own words since you got her.

How do you intend to stop her whilst you are delving into the cause.

Im not here for advice to stop her chewing, all of it is bleeding obvious, I actually came to ask about the behaviorist process as id already made up my mind to consult one. Telling me to confine her and put things away is a bandaid solution,

Huski answered that question very clearly in the first reply.

This is an impossible question to answer as every trainer has different methods to deal with different behaviours.

Did you ask the trainer about your problem and get an idea of methods they use before you booked them?

I'm keen to delve further into it to see WHY she actually does it. Sue me for wanting to consult a professional to get help for me and me dog.

Because you have allowed her to. But anyway...

Telling me to confine her and put things away is a bandaid solution

Please explain what you mean by this?

You do these things for the dogs own safety, just as you would with a toddler, it's common sense. Ever considered the danger of an intestinal blockage, poisoning or electrical shock from chewing something inappropriate?

Guest lavendergirl

I think seeking the advice of a behaviorist is a good idea. An outside perspective can often help. She may be a more stressy dog than you realise. The framework a behaviorist can provide may be just what you need. The other thing to consider is that she may have an anxiety disorder that she channels into unwanted displacement behaviours. A vet recently told me that one in five dogs has this type of problem. This can be medical but the behaviorist should be able to point you in the right direction. As long as they are positive in their approach (no shock collars,dominance theory or phyical punishment).

They all seem to prescribe to the dominance theory - will be surprised if the behaviourist comes up with much more than establishing the "pack order" plus NILIF, bored dog food toys and confinement where appropriate. Plenty of things to try without going to the expense of a behaviourist IMO - but hey to each his own. :)

Guest donatella

Good Grief use a bandaid before you need a tourniquet if it is that bleeding obvious do it,instead of allowing her to keep chewing as she has in your own words since you got her.

How do you intend to stop her whilst you are delving into the cause.

I can't do much if she's chewing things at mums seeing as I'm currently in western Australia and she's in Queensland

Guest donatella
Telling me to confine her and put things away is a bandaid solution

Please explain what you mean by this?

You do these things for the dogs own safety, just as you would with a toddler, it's common sense. Ever considered the danger of an intestinal blockage, poisoning or electrical shock from chewing something inappropriate?

I can't believe I need to break this down, I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

Yes I can and do keep things away from her (to the point the tv cords get unplugged and put up, vertical blinds are on the table) but I can continue to do this OR I can seek professional help to see why I need to do this and if it's cause she's stressed, has anxiety etc etc.

Bit like if I suffer headaches everyday and take panadol to relieve the pain, sure it does the job but it probably wouldnt hurt to go and seek doctors advice to see WHY the headaches might be occuring. Could be something simple or something complex but you should get it checked out.

And your dogs behaviour could be as simple as you allowing it. What have you done to teach her any differently?

You've been given plenty of suggestions in this thread and the majority of the behaviour you describe (chewing your shoes when you leave them on the floor the night before, dragging tea towels into the loungeroom when you're not home, chewing cords left within reach, etc) all sound pretty damn normal IMO.

Confinement is only a 'band aid solution' if you treat it as such.

Guest donatella

They all seem to prescribe to the dominance theory - will be surprised if the behaviourist comes up with much more than establishing the "pack order" plus NILIF, bored dog food toys and confinement where appropriate. Plenty of things to try without going to the expense of a behaviourist IMO - but hey to each his own. :)

Money isnt a huge issue I buy shoes that cost more then a behaviorist consultation lol.

Have tried boredom toys, she's not interested, does well confined at my house but this is odd her destroying things at mums, shes my boarding kennel when I go away I can't have her misbehaving.

Before she got there mum segregated her from getting upstairs

475e1d0f.jpg

And this is her wondering why she is no longer allowed free reign of the house lol

82690404.jpg

Guest donatella

And your dogs behaviour could be as simple as you allowing it. What have you done to teach her any differently?

You've been given plenty of suggestions in this thread and the majority of the behaviour you describe (chewing your shoes when you leave them on the floor the night before, dragging tea towels into the loungeroom when you're not home, chewing cords left within reach, etc) all sound pretty damn normal IMO.

Confinement is only a 'band aid solution' if you treat it as such.

I guess I don't see them as normal as I've never owned a destructive dog.

She very rarely gets to things at my house as we're prepared and the place is 'puppy proof' so to speak.

I started this thread as mum called me in stress as she was being destructive and out of character and said she shouldn't be doing this at 11 months now. We did aim to puppy proof mums house by baby gating her downstairs whereby it is tiles, there is laundry, lounge room and dog door to get outside, I guess she didnt envisage the phone cord incident hence from now she is banished outside when mum not home.

I'm back saturday anyway for alls sanity

It may be something deeper, or it may not. If the behaviourist tells you that it's normal behaviour, are you going to be argumentative, or accept it that you are going to have to put in place some of these "bandaid" solutions?

When training my dog on the local oval, the amount of people who have approached me and said "wow, she's so well behaved..." or "I wish mine was like that" astounds me. If only they knew how much work went into her training :eek:

Guest donatella

I already implement the band aid solutions so if the trainer tells me that's just how she is then I guess I'm ready for a life of hiding cords and putting things up (as I already do at my house).

It may be something deeper, or it may not. If the behaviourist tells you that it's normal behaviour, are you going to be argumentative, or accept it that you are going to have to put in place some of these "bandaid" solutions?

When training my dog on the local oval, the amount of people who have approached me and said "wow, she's so well behaved..." or "I wish mine was like that" astounds me. If only they knew how much work went into her training :eek:

A lady near us once commented on how well behaved our dogs were as we were walking past with them. I almost choked :laugh: She didn't see the mattress Mo ate :eek: :laugh:

Guest donatella

A lady near us once commented on how well behaved our dogs were as we were walking past with them. I almost choked :laugh: She didn't see the mattress Mo ate :eek: :laugh:

Baaaahahaha

:rofl: And they never had to come home to a backyard with trees stripped of bark, plants stripped of leaves, a kennel in a million pieces, the front of a shelf ripped off, the insulation pulled off the hot water system, a mangled clothesline handle... um... no need to continue.

I already implement the band aid solutions so if the trainer tells me that's just how she is then I guess I'm ready for a life of hiding cords and putting things up (as I already do at my house).

So what if the trainer tells you to crate train Lucy? You've already made it clear in previous posts that you will not put your dog in a crate so what happens then?