What Do Pet Behaviorists Do?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

We do this, but she then has turned to chewing her beds.

I only query as I just didn't think it was Pomeranian type behaviour? I can understand working dogs and bigger chewers but I'd never known a Pom to be so destructive hence why I was going to seek professional advice.

She actually hasn't destroyed anything of mine in about 6 months as im vigilant about keeping it away from her, but destroying things at mums house is out of character for her (she has stayed there lots and loves it, hence my seeking professional advice)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Oh she gets a daily frozen chicken neck (when I'm home to supervise), loves those schmacko chompers so maybe a nylabone?

I would confine her to a pen, give her a pike of polar fleece blankets to sleep on and give her chews, toys cardboard boxes whatever she is allowed to destroy. Only allow her free rein when you can actively supervise her. Give her lots of very small training sessions - have treats and clicker on the bench, do one or two things, then walk off.

There is now way I would allow a dog free access in my house of she was doing that.

It doesn't really matter IMO if it's normal Pom behaviour or not. My beagle does lots of things that make other beagle owners go :eek:

It sounds like you need some guidance on what to do and what not to do with her, a trainer will help put things into perspective for you even if it seems like common sense to other people. I don't think that's a bad thing and if you feel like you need help, get it.

Guest donatella

It doesn't really matter IMO if it's normal Pom behaviour or not. My beagle does lots of things that make other beagle owners go :eek:

It sounds like you need some guidance on what to do and what not to do with her, a trainer will help put things into perspective for you even if it seems like common sense to other people. I don't think that's a bad thing and if you feel like you need help, get it.

THIS

I just want a professionals opinion to come into my house to assess her, her space and living arrangements and tell me what I should be doing.

I put things away, play with her, train her, walk her, take her to new surroundings and try stimulate her crazy little brain but it's honestly like I have an ADHD doggy lol.

Guest donatella

Have you taught her to calm down? To lie on a mat or something?

No she doesn't know this. She knows wait and quiet (although being a serial barker she obeys that at her own peril ;) )

Have you taught her to calm down? To lie on a mat or something?

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

She needs you to teach her a solid down stay, for when you are home... with periodic releases and treat along the way. During the time she is not chewing her bedding or may but laying quietly. when she gets the hang of it, she can lay there with a chew that she is given.

She needs to learn quiet time. If you are not up to training such, use a crate to help you.

THIS

I just want a professionals opinion to come into my house to assess her, her space and living arrangements and tell me what I should be doing.

I put things away, play with her, train her, walk her, take her to new surroundings and try stimulate her crazy little brain but it's honestly like I have an ADHD doggy lol.

Good for you for recognising that you might need help, Jane is great, and I'm sure she will get you on the right track with her behaviour :)

Guest donatella

Sorry one more question (I probably sound like an idiot), but riddle me this.

I have known/family owned 5 dogs in my life time and none have been as active or needed as much stimulation as my current girl (people keep saying 'she'll calm down she's still young'. I'm not so sure.

2 Weimaraners growing up. Mostly backyard dogs, went rabbit hunting in the early days with my dad but were suburban dogs for the most part. We played with them outside but they seemed happy and content chilling together, never destructive.

After them we got a tenterfield terrier girl, inside dog mostly, rarely walked, non destructive. Added another tenty when she was 4, a boy, he was non destructive. Then years down the track mum added a maltese to the pack, a boy, not destructive. The dogs at mums rarely get walked, aren't interested in toys, are just happy being sloths on the couch day and night, they genuinely seem content with this.

Cue my little darling, gets walked, has more toys then most 2 year olds, I train her and she gets showered with attention from 2 girls (shift workers so someone is mostly home she is lucky in that sense) and yet she's still destructive.

I just don't understand, is it just different personalities? I would have thought the 3 terriers would be harder work but mine genuinely does not sit down, at night when we're watching tv she's pacing the house, playing, she doesn't just sit down and relax like every other dog ive known, and I just wondered if that's purely just a personality difference thing?

Dontatella, you could simply be dealing with poor temperament.

"Hyperactive" dogs do exist. Poms are an active breed but they (as far as I know) are meant to have an off switch.

Option B is that you simply aren't giving her enough exercise? How far/often is she walked. When was the last time she had a really good offlead blat? The dogs at your Mums have company 24/7 and access outside?

FYI, Maltese are not Terriers. They are toy breed and there is no "Terrier" in their breed name.

Your girl is a Spitz breed. She''ll have more in common with other spitz's than she does with terriers, toys or gundogs.

Edited by Telida Whippets

My young girl had to be taught how to relax and chill. She's never been allowed to endlessly wander around the house (and she will, if you let her) and of an evening is expected to spend her time in largely one spot. When she started wandering as a pup (trying to hoover the kitchen floor, staring out the front window or back door, etc) she was either crated with a toy/food or called into the lounge room and settled on her bed. We even closed the doors to the lounge room to stop it. She was rewarded with praise, pats, food or short games for being calm.

She turned 2 in December and now falls asleep straight after her dinner, around 6:30pm. That's her routine and she knows what's expected.

ETA: Also think about the type of exercise she's getting. For example, a 30 minute off leash walk with other dogs is more tiring than an hour on leash around the suburb. We had an agility trial last night and even though we only had one run (60 seconds worth) she was absolutely pooped afterwards... yet after a one hour walk she's still wanting more.

Edited by wuffles

Neither of my two older dogs have had the problems Daisy had, not even my Siberian Husky who is very prey drive (will kill small animals) and food driven and active in general.

Daisy just has a different temperament, different nerves, different drive. I can't raise them all the same way and expect the same result because they are all different dogs.

Guest donatella

Dontatella, you could simply be dealing with poor temperament.

"Hyperactive" dogs do exist. Poms are an active breed but they (as far as I know) are meant to have an off switch.

Option B is that you simply aren't giving her enough exercise? How far/often is she walked. When was the last time she had a really good offlead blat? The dogs at your Mums have company 24/7 and access outside?

FYI, Maltese are not Terriers.

I think by reading all this that perhaps I'm not giving her enough exercise. Shes not allowed off lead belts because she has crap recall and I don't like dog parks because shes so little (although I could find a small dog park I guess).

The dogs at mums have a doggy door so can get in and out 24/7 and have each other but aren't besties, the 2 boys have never really liked each other and the oldest tenty is now 16 so spends most her time downstairs as she can't climb the stairs. But I guess it's still company. Mum works 7-1pm 4 days a week other then that they're home alone.

Oh I thought it was a Maltese terrier (see told ya im stoopid)

In regards to walking as well, Lucy has no manners, she barks at dogs behind fences, dogs walking past, leaves that look like dogs, she sends the entire neighbourhood off barking.

Guest donatella

My young girl had to be taught how to relax and chill. She's never been allowed to endlessly wander around the house (and she will, if you let her) and of an evening is expected to spend her time in largely one spot. When she started wandering as a pup (trying to hoover the kitchen floor, staring out the front window or back door, etc) she was either crated with a toy/food or called into the lounge room and settled on her bed. We even closed the doors to the lounge room to stop it. She was rewarded with praise, pats, food or short games for being calm.

She turned 2 in December and now falls asleep straight after her dinner, around 6:30pm. That's her routine and she knows what's expected.

ETA: Also think about the type of exercise she's getting. For example, a 30 minute off leash walk with other dogs is more tiring than an hour on leash around the suburb. We had an agility trial last night and even though we only had one run (60 seconds worth) she was absolutely pooped afterwards... yet after a one hour walk she's still wanting more.

She enjoys a good chew so I'll give that a go at quiet time.

It made me realise how hyper she was after having my foster Chi who was 12 months old (only 1 month older then her) who would just happily chill with us all the time. She mirrored this behavior sometimes (when he slept next to us she felt she needed to as well, bit of a jealousy thing I think)

Dontatella, I think a general program of training and a visit from a professional will help. It doesn't sound like she's got much confidence or many skills for dealing with life outside her home.

Mind you, I've yet to meet a Pom that didn't mind a good bark.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Guest donatella

Thanks guys, I think we have a few things I'd like to run past a behaviorist (thanks for the rec's people i'll get in contact with her).

Yes the barking arhhhh :)