American Cocker With A Small Aussie?

cowanbree

I am contemplating another breed later this year but am a little uncertain about if it would fit into my house as I want it to. I currently breed/show shelties and have 1 aussie shepherd. I usually have 2 aussies so they have someone to romp and play with and can be kennelled together but recently lost one.

I have always wanted a American cocker strictly as a pet as the show scene over here for that breed is too difficult and I am thinking perhaps I might consider one now instead of another aussie. Nova is a very small aussie, currently 19 inches and not overly solid (perhaps 15kg mature?) but is rough, way too much for a sheltie to be with unsupervised so she is currently kennelled alone. Would an American be big enough and solid enough to play her rough and tumble games and be kennelled with her unsupervised once mature obviously?

If she is to rough for the Shelties then a Yank would be no different .

I owned & breed Yanks for many years & they are tough critters but fairly gentle players ,i would imagine a yank would sooner play with the Shelties .

As you now it would be over a year before the Yank was big enough to play in which time i would imagine it will have paired up with the Shelties as it play mates

A springer would be better suited

Sigh, I have wanted an American for nearly 20yrs now. I love their gorgeous heads, one day I will own one. They sound more like shelties who love chasey games rather than the wrestling Nova wants to do.

Other than aussies and americans the only other breed I have seriously considered is a goldie. Plenty of time to think on it

Just pondering this more for the future . I generally run my shelties in compatible groups of 3-4 in big runs when unsupervised. Shelties aren't fighters and I have never had any issues doing this. Would an American be able to go into one of these groups?

I know a lot of breeds wouldn't suit this type of arrangement but other than when I have girls in season all of my dogs get on and even if I do get a squabble it is more just noise and hair pulling than anything serious. Shelties generally aren't aggressive or dominant dogs