Training To Ignore A Specific Object

I'm in the process of figuring out how to teach my 5 month old Pug to ignore a specific object (a teddybear). My current idea is using an undesirable scent on him so she isn't compelled to maul him, as she does her own toys, but I've not found a scent she doesn't like! Once she even stole the scent pad I pinned on him and tried to eat it (at least she ignored the bear, but that wasn't the point lol)

We're working on a generic "leave it" command which we are struggling with because if she breaks the "leave it" it's self rewarding as she gets the treat early. I've tried restraining her (ie: with leash or harness) and only releasing her on the command, but then once the leash or harness is off, all bets are off and "leave it" doesn't exist in her mind. So that isn't going to work for the specific teddybear and I'm running out of ideas.

I don't train using negative associations, so I'm out of ideas on how to create an undesirable association (or similar) with a specific object. Or is it not about doing that, but something else?

So, help? lol Thanks :D

For a bit of background, or to explain a little about why I need her to learn not to kill this bear - https://www.facebook.com/charley.bunnybear

You could try making the bear an 'environmental cue' to look at you instead of seizing it? Start by holding the bear out to one side, then click and treat when Max looks at you. Then build up to putting on the ground, throwing it on the ground etc. until he gets that want bear = look at Minimax. This is a good compliment to NILIF in making the dog realise that all good things come from you and should be asked for rather than taken (plus both build self-control)

(flame suit) I'm not so sure that either 5-month-olds or pugs are the most biddable of creatures, so it may take some patience :)

Edit: I also taught Weez, who was a chronic Destroyer Of All Things when I got him, that he is only allowed to put his teeth on things out of his toy basket or that I give him, by saying 'uh-uh bad chew' everytime he had something wrong and replacing it with a 'good chew' Took a few destroyed thongs but after a couple of weeks he got it and now we can leave pretty much anything on the floor (except food!) without fear.

Edited by Weasels

With the "leave it" command and food, one way to do it is to use a piece of biggish flat food like a piece of Schmacko. Put it on the ground and if she goes to eat it, put your foot over it. You can progress to dropping it on the ground and then to other objects.

For a specific object, if you are having trouble teaching "leave it" and can't simply put it out of reach (my best suggestion!), how about giving a gentle "uh uh" every time she goes towards it and rewarding her when her focus goes back to you?

you need to introduce something aversive as well. Even if you growl HEY NO if she makes a dash to it on lead then redirect her back to you. When there is no control or reward close the teddy is more, you have to lower the appeal of the teddy.

The method I have used and been successful with starts off independent of the object itself.

This is done by holding treats in both hands in front of your dog.

Open one hand with a treat and when your dog goes to sniff it close your hand and say 'leave it'.

When he/she removes his nose reopen your hand and say 'leave it'.

You might have to repeat this 30 or so times until the dog loses interest in your hand so be patient.

The instant the dog does not sniff your open hand open the other hand and say 'yes'/use a clicker etc and allow the dog to have the treat in your open hand.

Replace the treat and repeat until he/she consistently leaves the open hand alone.

Then start varying which hand is used to leave it.

Keep repeating this and increasing the time until reward that the dog has to leave it. Eventually he will hold indefinately. You can then extend this to anything, shoes, dogs, etc. Leave it means back off and wait for a treat

my dog had a very high value for shoes! you don't want to know how many I lost before I found this trick. In the meantime you could remove access to the teddy bear while he's learning. This will protect the bear (or in my case shoes) until he's trained to leave on command, it should also not make the association between the bear and fun/reward even stronger in the meantime.

We extended it to food, cat poop, cat trays, tiny kittens, bones, shoes, bbq covers, bbq hoses and other dogs/people/mess on the ground while outside.

Hope it helps you.

Good luck!