Certificate In Companion Animal Services

JackieW

I'm looking for a change of career (and this would be a big change :) ) and was thinking about the Cert III or IV in Companion Animal Services. Has anyone done it? I'm looking at a correspondence course as it appears to be very difficult to get into a TAFE course in Brisbane. I'm on long service leave at present and volunteering one morning a week at the RSPCA. Not sure whether I could do the prac work where I am, but am just mulling over things at present. For those who have done the course, is there much paid work around at the end of it?

Guest Willow

I did it about 7 or 8 years ago, and it opened a lot of doors. I started volunteering at the RSPCA in order to get a place on the course. This led to paid employment with the RSPCA. because of my cert III and this RSPCA work, i was able to get into the vet nursing course, which led to full time employment, which in turn led into dog training (my workplace supported me).

It's also an enjoybale course, i would say go for it!

Edited by Willow

I started the Cert III at TAFE but could only do 2 units at a time. I ended up quitting it as it wasn't what I was after, and some classes gave me the sh*ts because the lecturers had a very narrow view on things, especially on purebred dogs. I'm not sure there are many well paid jobs at the end of it, but it all depends on if you want to use it as stepping stone to something else I guess?

Willow, what sort of dog training job did you end up working in?

I am studying through AIRC (Animal Industries Resource Centre) and having done several Diplima's and Certificates through TAFE, I would have to say that AIRC are by far more supported and have a better standing in the industry. I have fallen well and truly behind in my studies but the girls still send me emails to check how I am doing and keep re-doing my calender to try and keep me on track. They are wonderful. I too volunteer at the RSPCA. You would need to be doing volunteer work either in the kennels,vet or adoption areas for it to count for AIRC.

TAFE students attend the shelter every Tuesday so the TAFE organises your prac work through them.

Guest Willow

I started the Cert III at TAFE but could only do 2 units at a time. I ended up quitting it as it wasn't what I was after, and some classes gave me the sh*ts because the lecturers had a very narrow view on things, especially on purebred dogs. I'm not sure there are many well paid jobs at the end of it, but it all depends on if you want to use it as stepping stone to something else I guess?

Willow, what sort of dog training job did you end up working in?

I started the Delta course, started doing puppy classes at the vets I worked at, then also got a second job at a dog daycare and training centre, then started doing training for the RSPCA and eventually went out on my own :D

Guest Willow

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the AIRC course, because after a discussion with someone from TAFE I'm not sure I'd get in (she said they have 200 applicants for 30-40 places.

They say that deliberately to put off anyone who isn't serious....they said the exact same thing to me, and to many other who applied.

You could even go along and enrol part time and pick up the worst unit that doesn't get filled up as fast, stick it out, then that puts you in a priority position for the following semester part time intake (where you don't have to line up for a place like the plebs, your name is already on the list and all you have to do is go in and pay your fees). Obviously if you can do full time and can get in, that is the better way to go as you are guaranteed a spot in all units, but this is an alternative pathway if you're that keen on it.

I started the Delta course, started doing puppy classes at the vets I worked at, then also got a second job at a dog daycare and training centre, then started doing training for the RSPCA and eventually went out on my own :D

Lovely! I love success stories!

I am currently doing CertIII at TAFE at NMIT in Vic. Courses are interesting so far, yes some of the teachers have different ideas.

They have allocted a couple of weeks in June (I think) that we have to do "work placement" or volunteer at a shelter or type of buisness

that we want to get into.

BB