Snakeproof Your Dog

it can be done and a few people do it with their dogs. It's finding a snake to use in that situation which can be problematic. I wouldn't put my snakes through the stress despite them being used to the scent of dogs.

It would work except do you know anyone who would allow their snake to be used as the 'bait'?

What is the legality of shock collars in Victoria?

I am all for training my dogs with this method but it's not exactly something you can do at home :)

tollers if the snakes are in a double enclosure like the rattlers were and an experienced trainer doing it, it can work, but yes to find someone to donate a couple of live snakes would be hard.

Im sure you could use snake poo, shed skins, a roadkilled dead snake or even a bluetongue. No stress for the pet snake because the dosnt get a chance to scare it..i would gladly use one of my pet snakes if I could snake proof my dog. The collars are legal and readily available to,

Im sure you could use snake poo, shed skins, a roadkilled dead snake or even a bluetongue. No stress for the pet snake because the dosnt get a chance to scare it..i would gladly use one of my pet snakes if I could snake proof my dog. The collars are legal and readily available to,

I didn't think dogs generalised well enough to use poo or skins. My dogs would be attracted to the movement not the smell, that would be a problem with a dead snake too.

The only proper way with the best results is too use a real snake.

I thought the collars were restricted? Suppose though if a proper trainer was to do snake proofing it wouldn't matter.

I really wish there was something like this here. Toad proofing would be very handy as well.

I cane toad trained my dogs using just a check chain on walks. Whenever they walked up to a toad to sniff it they got a hard correction. Now they stay away from them. Would be even better if you used an e-collar, but I didn't have one on hand.

I trained my old GSD to ignore rustling in the bushes (toss a little stone in the bush where she couldn't see). If the snake was on the track I would recall her, which was dependent on me seeing the snake. Thankfully we don't get snakes in our yard, no easy solution there.

I taught my dogs and flat mates dogs snake aversion when I lived on a property with a lot of snakes. The method I used took 2 people but could be adopted for 1. I have a very realistic looking rubber black snake (good enough that the feed man refused to put the feed in the shed when I left it there). I attached a very light fishing line and rod to the snake. I had a drink can filled with 5c coins but an e collar would also work.

Put the snake in the grass and have someone hiding with the rod. The second person is also out of sight in another spot close by. The person with the rod reels the snake in slowly and when the dogs go to investigate the 2nd person throws the can of coins near the dog to frighten them. A couple of repetitions of this and the dogs avoided the snake. I did reinforce regularly.

The dogs where a BC, a dalmatian, a mini foxie and a cross bred terrier.

I'd say this is a good issue to use to attack the [stupid] ban on e-collars. I don't see how anyone can say it's inhumane to aversion train dogs to make them avoid snakes. Maybe push the RSPCA to do something useful and offer this sort of training! Nobody gains when a dog gets killed by a snake.

Watch this

I have always said that if you can teach your dog not to attack a snake,

then its chances of being bitten are radically reduced.

The elecronic remote controlled pulse collars are need though, unless you have another way of stopping your dog.

I trained my dog's avoidance using fresh'ish snake skins.