Dog Walks From Townsville Qld To Healesville Vic

Kirislin

This little dog has just completed a walk from Townsville N Qld to Healesville Victoria early this afternoon. I know cause I was there to greet him.

His owners completed the full distance of the Bicentennial National Trail, a distance of about 5330ks and the dog joined them at Townsville 3 years ago.

They've walked and worked their way down to Vic.

Here he is rounding the last turn unaware that there was a huge welcoming party.

6802038686_d4b23324bd_z.jpg

Hullo, he thinks what's all this?

6802041722_ff840ec824_z.jpg

woo hoo, it's peoples, they're here for meeeee! He breaks into a gallop!

6802044500_ee9ea54a3e_z.jpg

Leaves his owners to catch up

6948156745_76e2c353f8_z.jpg

Journeys end

6802055600_0404377fb1_z.jpg

6802059164_6f77e3a2aa_z.jpg

6948171623_e52016bdaf_z.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

actually, I was very surprised to see they took their dog. The BNT strongly advises against it, as you go through National Parks, and many private properties where farmers have stock, as well as lots of places that would be baited. I definitely would also advise against taking a dog, but anyway, they did it. the dog was lovely although quite nippy to the horses. He's been trained not to eat anything until his owner says he can.

I was just wondering about dogs being allowed on the trail, as I just looked up Donnelly Weir, where the trail starts, and it is in the Yarra Ranges National Park :confused:

Oh well, I will have to keep looking for trails where the dogs can go as well.

I was just wondering about dogs being allowed on the trail, as I just looked up Donnelly Weir, where the trail starts, and it is in the Yarra Ranges National Park :confused:

Oh well, I will have to keep looking for trails where the dogs can go as well.

I used to ride up there with my whippets because it was State Forest, and then suddenly one day I went and there were the signs with the doggies with red lines through them, like ghostbusters :( no announcement, nothing, just no more dogs allowed. It's harder and harder to find safe places to ride horses these days, you find a lovely trail and you have to contend with dirt bike riders thrashing around blind corners at breakneck speeds. :mad

Yep you are allowed to walk dogs in State Forests, but not National Parks. Around here we have a couple of State Forests, Toolangi and Mt Robinson, but as you say have to contend with trail bike riders and 4WD vehicles most weekends :(

You could always take donkeys as your pack animal and walk it. Of course you need to know how to care for them, but you dont need riding skills. Donkeys are lovely little animals, and very strong for their size.